The Student Room Group

Leaving sixth form for college 2 months before first year ends

Hi so as the title says I'm planning to leave the sixthform I'm going to currently, to go college in September of this year. I'll be 17 when starting the course and 19 when it finishes.

You can skip the bit in the brackets because that's just me going off on a little tangent but if you want you can still read it.

I'm leaving sixthform as its mentally draining. [I know everyone says that but our sixthform is absolutely horrible, some context, we had our own common room but they shut it down because four Yr 12s were playing hide and seek during their frees, in the common room. It rains alot here and they said that we are not allowed to go to any other room during our frees, and will get punished if we do so, so we have to stay outside. All of the teachers have superiority complexs and if you question their method of teaching, or ask a simple question about the work they get offended, send you out or have a 20 minute screaming lecture at you. I've personally witnessed my teacher do this atleast 3 times a week. And that's only when I'm there to see it. If you ask for help they give you this disgusted look and blame you for not understanding, and they tell you to go figure it out yourself. When you miss a day to figure it out yourself they phone in to scream at you for missing school when you could've asked the teachers for help?? They call us adults when telling us to stop being childish but then tell us to stay in our places because we're children and should listen to the teachers (for the pettiest things, like walking outside during frees because we don't have a common room anymore). My mental health is deteriorating and I don't have anyone to talk to because even the school counsellor is condescending as hell and does not really care, I've been to her once and never will again. Everyone knows that she hates her job and couldn't care less about us. When kids went to our head of sixth form to change their subjects she would always give this ****ed off look and rudely speak to you, and even scream at you - she did to me even though I didn't do anything?. It's like all of the teachers just turned even more horrible as soon as we went up a year.]

My attendance has been deteriorating and I've been going to school less and less I've been so demotivated. Despite this my predicted grades for 2 of my subjects are A*, but one of them is a c. They've been on my backside about this and have been having so many meetings with me saying how disappointed they are in me, and how I SHOULD be doing better otherwise they're kicking me out, I'm not a very confrontational person and I've had multiple mental breakdowns due to this, and I've had one in lesson too over my time in Yr 12. I couldn't handle it anymore so I thought I should do myself a favour and save my mental health and myself the hassle by leaving.

I have 2 months left of sixth form and I'm refused to go. My logic is that I'm in the first year of sixthform so I won't be getting any qualifications when I leave, so what's the point in going to learn when I won't be gaining anything from it. I don't gain anything from it in general as I have to teach myself crap at home due to the teachers not being able to teach.

I haven't been in school in over a week. And I already have a guaranteed spot in the college I want to go to, my gcses grades are really high so they didn't look at my attendance or anything else at all apart from my art portfolio, which is up to their standards.

Today the school has decided to phone in and try to force me to come to school, even my mum wants me to go. I just don't see the point. I cannot even talk about my mental health to anyone because my mum doesn't believe in that sort of thing and the teachers just don't care at all. So what do I do, should I go to school and finish the last 2 months or should I stay home and then go college?

I've researched a little bit and there isn't any consequences for me missing school, it's just highly recommended that I go, and the worst that can happen is someone from the council comes and asks me why I'm not going in and child benefits get taken off. That's all that happens. Knowing this I'm fine staying home cause its only for 2 months and I'm going right back into education in September.

My mum, my sister and the school don't like my way of thinking. And as stated before are trying to force me to go, what should I do.
Original post by vvSam
Hi so as the title says I'm planning to leave the sixthform I'm going to currently, to go college in September of this year. I'll be 17 when starting the course and 19 when it finishes.

You can skip the bit in the brackets because that's just me going off on a little tangent but if you want you can still read it.

I'm leaving sixthform as its mentally draining. [I know everyone says that but our sixthform is absolutely horrible, some context, we had our own common room but they shut it down because four Yr 12s were playing hide and seek during their frees, in the common room. It rains alot here and they said that we are not allowed to go to any other room during our frees, and will get punished if we do so, so we have to stay outside. All of the teachers have superiority complexs and if you question their method of teaching, or ask a simple question about the work they get offended, send you out or have a 20 minute screaming lecture at you. I've personally witnessed my teacher do this atleast 3 times a week. And that's only when I'm there to see it. If you ask for help they give you this disgusted look and blame you for not understanding, and they tell you to go figure it out yourself. When you miss a day to figure it out yourself they phone in to scream at you for missing school when you could've asked the teachers for help?? They call us adults when telling us to stop being childish but then tell us to stay in our places because we're children and should listen to the teachers (for the pettiest things, like walking outside during frees because we don't have a common room anymore). My mental health is deteriorating and I don't have anyone to talk to because even the school counsellor is condescending as hell and does not really care, I've been to her once and never will again. Everyone knows that she hates her job and couldn't care less about us. When kids went to our head of sixth form to change their subjects she would always give this ****ed off look and rudely speak to you, and even scream at you - she did to me even though I didn't do anything?. It's like all of the teachers just turned even more horrible as soon as we went up a year.]

My attendance has been deteriorating and I've been going to school less and less I've been so demotivated. Despite this my predicted grades for 2 of my subjects are A*, but one of them is a c. They've been on my backside about this and have been having so many meetings with me saying how disappointed they are in me, and how I SHOULD be doing better otherwise they're kicking me out, I'm not a very confrontational person and I've had multiple mental breakdowns due to this, and I've had one in lesson too over my time in Yr 12. I couldn't handle it anymore so I thought I should do myself a favour and save my mental health and myself the hassle by leaving.

I have 2 months left of sixth form and I'm refused to go. My logic is that I'm in the first year of sixthform so I won't be getting any qualifications when I leave, so what's the point in going to learn when I won't be gaining anything from it. I don't gain anything from it in general as I have to teach myself crap at home due to the teachers not being able to teach.

I haven't been in school in over a week. And I already have a guaranteed spot in the college I want to go to, my gcses grades are really high so they didn't look at my attendance or anything else at all apart from my art portfolio, which is up to their standards.

Today the school has decided to phone in and try to force me to come to school, even my mum wants me to go. I just don't see the point. I cannot even talk about my mental health to anyone because my mum doesn't believe in that sort of thing and the teachers just don't care at all. So what do I do, should I go to school and finish the last 2 months or should I stay home and then go college?

I've researched a little bit and there isn't any consequences for me missing school, it's just highly recommended that I go, and the worst that can happen is someone from the council comes and asks me why I'm not going in and child benefits get taken off. That's all that happens. Knowing this I'm fine staying home cause its only for 2 months and I'm going right back into education in September.

My mum, my sister and the school don't like my way of thinking. And as stated before are trying to force me to go, what should I do.

Actually the worst that can happen is you Mum gets prosecuted if she continues to claim Child benefit and hasn't told HMRC you have dropped out of 6th form. To be safe she needs to do this. If you then go back to College in September, she notifies them and gets Child benefit paid from then.

Another factor, is that the new college might not give you a place as the reference from 6th form will mention attendance issues.
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor
Actually the worst that can happen is you Mum gets prosecuted if she continues to claim Child benefit and hasn't told HMRC you have dropped out of 6th form. To be safe she needs to do this. If you then go back to College in September, she notifies them and gets Child benefit paid from then.

Another factor, is that the new college might not give you a place as the reference from 6th form will mention attendance issues.

Hi thank you for taking the time to reply, I've already told my mum about the child benefit thing, we're in the process of doing that. Also, I've already got the place in the college (done the interview and all that and there was no mention of attendance, they only looked at grades and then I did an initial assessment for maths and English which I passed) all I have to do left is go for enrolment and the taster lesson day if I'd like to. They wouldn't mention attendance or anything else like that during enrolment would they? I also didn't need to bring a reference from my school for the interview either.

The thing I don't understand is that the sixthform is telling me I can't drop out right now and I have to go to sixthform anyways for the last 2 months even if I want to leave and am leaving? It just doesn't make sense. If I drop out and tell HMRC, I would be allowed to leave for 2 months and then go back into education without any repercussions right? I've already told the school I'm leaving but they're saying I'm not allowed to. My friend told one of the teachers about me leaving as well and that teacher also said I'm gonna get fined for leaving and I'm not allowed to, I HAVE to go to school for the last 2 months even though I'm going college in September.
Reply 3
Original post by bamtutor

Original post by vvSam

Oh my you sound just like me I was hella depressed in sixthform I had no one to talk to no friends I couldn't get support I wasnt happy i didn't wanna be there nothing made me wanna fix up and properly attend yeh i do regret wasting a year in sixthform but when I joined college my life changed alot I'm so much happier I now have friends in collage where as in sixthform I had nobody at all not even 1 class mate forget friends.I also now have teachers that actually help me understand my work and help me with what I need I don't have that many days to go in I get to socialize and understand what I need to.Although I'm a year behind than my year group I had to do what made me happy its not a big deal but if I could go back in time what I would have changed was to fight for my rights alot more harder and made my teachers help me but to be honest I got ab a couple weeks or something left and it wasn't even long restarting colly you wont even realise.
Reply 4
Original post by vvSam
The thing I don't understand is that the sixthform is telling me I can't drop out right now and I have to go to sixthform anyways for the last 2 months even if I want to leave and am leaving? It just doesn't make sense. If I drop out and tell HMRC, I would be allowed to leave for 2 months and then go back into education without any repercussions right? I've already told the school I'm leaving but they're saying I'm not allowed to. My friend told one of the teachers about me leaving as well and that teacher also said I'm gonna get fined for leaving and I'm not allowed to, I HAVE to go to school for the last 2 months even though I'm going college in September.

Do you live in England?

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school
Reply 5
Original post by vvSam

I feel sad after reading your story, but have you tried to report your teacher to your dean? You'd better take some of your fellow students along with you and file a complaint together so you will be more credible. If your dean is bad and doesn't care at all, then if I were you, I'll do one of the following two things based on how serious the situation is:
1. Adjust yourself. I believe you are not the only one who's experiencing this, as you've mentioned that there are other students who have been punished as well. So are they leaving school? If yes, then the situation is really bad and you might want to report this to your school board. If no, then they are not suffering from the same mental pain as what you are suffering despite they are being treated the same way. Why? Because they know how to adjust themselves. I'm not saying you are weak, please don't get me wrong, but you need to understand that there are some really selfish and terrible people exist in this world. Although you are nice and kind, you can't expect everyone else to be the same. You will be meeting many bad souls in the future, they can be your boss, an important client or a government officer, you can't avoid them in your life. So what would you do? Quit your job and won't be able to afford rent because of your terrible boss? Give up a contract because of a difficult client? Or waive your right to claim a social benefit? You can't because you need your job to secure your house, you need the contract to seucre your job, and you need the benefit to pay for your whatever bills. So what do you do? Adjust yourself, do well at work so you can be transferred to another department where you have another manager and you don't need face clients anymore. On the other hand, dropping off school means you will lose the oppotunity to get higher education, which will eventually change your life. And what does the teacher get? Nothing. She still have her job, continues to act badly to other students, and when someone askes her about your, she will probably say 'Just another bug I squashed'. So bascially, by dropping off school, your future has been changed, and probably to the negative, and they one who harmed your claimed victory. Pretty unfair huh? Then prove yourself that NO ONE CAN JUDGE YOU! Ignore the teacher, be yourself and probably learn from your fellow classmate of how they adjustd their mind so they can continue school. And most importantly, focus on your subjects, and aim to get into a top university so your futureclassmates and collegus will likely to be polite, well educated and academically or work focused people. USE YOUR SUCCESS TO PROVE YOUR TEAHCER WRONG.
2. If the situation is very crucial and not only you but all of your class or even the entire school is suffering mentally, then don't hesitate, report your teacher to the school board. If they don't react, tell them you and other victims are filing legal actions against them, I'm sure they will eventually response.
I'm only a year 11 student (yeah I'm a year younger than you) so I might be wrong and naive, but those are what I'll definately do if I'm in your situation.
And remember, you are doing well academically and have the oppotunity to get into a top university which most students can't, so don't waste it.
Reply 6
Original post by TommyNZ
I feel sad after reading your story, but have you tried to report your teacher to your dean? You'd better take some of your fellow students along with you and file a complaint together so you will be more credible. If your dean is bad and doesn't care at all, then if I were you, I'll do one of the following two things based on how serious the situation is:
1. Adjust yourself. I believe you are not the only one who's experiencing this, as you've mentioned that there are other students who have been punished as well. So are they leaving school? If yes, then the situation is really bad and you might want to report this to your school board. If no, then they are not suffering from the same mental pain as what you are suffering despite they are being treated the same way. Why? Because they know how to adjust themselves. I'm not saying you are weak, please don't get me wrong, but you need to understand that there are some really selfish and terrible people exist in this world. Although you are nice and kind, you can't expect everyone else to be the same. You will be meeting many bad souls in the future, they can be your boss, an important client or a government officer, you can't avoid them in your life. So what would you do? Quit your job and won't be able to afford rent because of your terrible boss? Give up a contract because of a difficult client? Or waive your right to claim a social benefit? You can't because you need your job to secure your house, you need the contract to seucre your job, and you need the benefit to pay for your whatever bills. So what do you do? Adjust yourself, do well at work so you can be transferred to another department where you have another manager and you don't need face clients anymore. On the other hand, dropping off school means you will lose the oppotunity to get higher education, which will eventually change your life. And what does the teacher get? Nothing. She still have her job, continues to act badly to other students, and when someone askes her about your, she will probably say 'Just another bug I squashed'. So bascially, by dropping off school, your future has been changed, and probably to the negative, and they one who harmed your claimed victory. Pretty unfair huh? Then prove yourself that NO ONE CAN JUDGE YOU! Ignore the teacher, be yourself and probably learn from your fellow classmate of how they adjustd their mind so they can continue school. And most importantly, focus on your subjects, and aim to get into a top university so your futureclassmates and collegus will likely to be polite, well educated and academically or work focused people. USE YOUR SUCCESS TO PROVE YOUR TEAHCER WRONG.
2. If the situation is very crucial and not only you but all of your class or even the entire school is suffering mentally, then don't hesitate, report your teacher to the school board. If they don't react, tell them you and other victims are filing legal actions against them, I'm sure they will eventually response.
I'm only a year 11 student (yeah I'm a year younger than you) so I might be wrong and naive, but those are what I'll definately do if I'm in your situation.
And remember, you are doing well academically and have the oppotunity to get into a top university which most students can't, so don't waste it.

Hiya thanks for your insight, it's not just me, so many people are suffering from the same problems. Alot of us already have mental health issues and have been to that health & wellbeing lady in our school and shes been unhelpful. Students have tried to get better teachers & have reported the teachers. Let me tell you what happened when a whole class of 30 students did just that. All of these students are chemistry alevel students and all of them were students that got grades 7-9s in each of their gcses. They're the good smart kids that do not misbehave. My friend is the top female student in our year, and in Yr 11 she got mostly 9s in her gcses with a couple 8s. A boy is in the same class who got full 9s in gcses. I'm telling you this to say these are good kids that only want to succeed. Their teacher however is horrible. He doesn't teach, hes pretty old and grumpy and he picks on people, singles them out, and in front of the whole class, talks crap about them saying how they're useless and shouldn't even be here if they can't even understand his lessons, they should just leave. How are they supposed to understand the lessons if he sits on his ass every day and not explain crap? He also favouritises the males over females and has said to my friend (the highest female achiever in gcses in my school) how she's stupid and shes an example of why almost all females are stupid and why males are smarter. He said this. For the first two months every student was getting 0s in their tests. Not a single answer correct. They would be ridiculed and screamed at despite them trying their hardest. I watched so many of these students revise during frees and extra study periods along with doing work at home but nothing worked because they weren't taught anything. The class was fed up with the teacher so they went to the head of department, but the head did nothing. She just said that you shouldn't disrespect the teachers, they do alot for the students (this specific teacher does not. He's not good at teaching at all). So the whole class was fed up and wrote up a nicely worded letter saying how they're not understanding the lessons and they've tried asking the head of department but she did nothing, and they've already asked their teacher, so could they have a different teacher. There's a good teacher that has frees at the same time my friends class has those lessons, and the bad teacher has frees when the good teacher has lessons. They wondered if the lessons could be switched over. I'm not sure how it would work but they wanted something like this or they wanted for the bad teacher to listen and to teach better (they obviously worded it nicer than I am rn), and they said a few more things. I read the letter, it was worded really well. All of the class signed the letter. But this wasn't taken lightly. The head of sixth form found out and got involved and went on an absolute rampage. All of the class got punished and lectured on how disgusting it was that they'd write something so horrible about a member of staff and that they should be ashamed of themselves. Along with other things like singling people out. It's crazy. They tell us to go ask for help if we're struggling and then go crazy if we actually do just that. All of these students who signed the letter were told they had one strike and if they do this again they'll get kicked out, no exceptions. They were silenced. Right now the class is getting okay grades but it's only because the class is working together to revise and teach themselves everything, the bad teacher is still not teaching properly. If they had a better teacher I know for a fact that all those students would get better grades than right now. They're working at a 3-4 right now with like 2/3 at a 5-6. A big jump from a 0 but not what you would expect from a chemistry class full of geniuses. After people heard about this they did not want to attempt the same thing. Most kids just don't know what to do.

If we wanted to report them to the exam board we'd need evidence right? No ones recorded any of the teachers responses. And I don't know if any of the students would be comfortable enough to even report a teacher, those students are still going to that school and don't want to be punished for involving an outside party. Alot of the students cannot leave that school for various reasons, financial, family matters, or even location. They literally told me they would if they could, but they cannot. A couple of the students have already gotten away and left sixthform at the start of the year, around 3 months in, but they're having a problem with me attempting to leave rn. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.

God I could literally rant all day about this horrible school. They even served the students moldy food FOR YEARS until me and my friends reported it with evidence but we got punished at the same times for taking our phones out and taking a picture (phones are banned in our school for no reason.) the cheese had mold in it, cupcakes had a nail in it, the pizza had mold, hairs, and sometimes even little things that looked like broken plastic chunks, and so much more. Absolutely crazy. Right now they've "upgraded" the food but occasionally you will find the hairs and the very hard plastic looking things in the food. I remember when I was taking a bite in my cupcake and I just see a damn nail in the other side. It's so gross.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest