The Student Room Group

My school won't give us study leave!!

I am doing AS levels and by school are not allowing us to have study leave!! Not only this but my History teacher wants us to be 100% in for all his lessons to go over left over content and the same goes for English. Personally I know I can cover all this myself but the thing is if I just don't go to school there will be a bigger problem because my attendance hasn't been great this year so it's not like it wouldn't make a difference, I'm really worried what the outcome of my exams will be like if i don't get the time off. All the other schools in my area seem to be getting study leave, it's not fair, what do I do? shall I speak to the head of 6th form( who has been going on about my attendance all year anyway) ? I don't think she would let me, I'm not special and everyone else is doing there As-levels too without study leave. Ugh please help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I am doing AS levels and by school are not allowing us to have study leave!! Not only this but my History teacher wants us to be 100% in for all his lessons to go over left over content and the same goes for English. Personally I know I can cover all this myself but the thing is if I just don't go to school there will be a bigger problem because my attendance hasn't been great this year so it's not like it wouldn't make a difference, I'm really worried what the outcome of my exams will be like if i don't get the time off. All the other schools in my area seem to be getting study leave, it's not fair, what do I do? shall I speak to the head of 6th form( who has been going on about my attendance all year anyway) ? I don't think she would let me, I'm not special and everyone else is doing there As-levels too without study leave. Ugh please help!

My school doesn't give study leave either, but it does for GCSE..
Just suck it up I guess, do as much as you can inbetween lessons and use the teachers for any info you need
Mine didn't last year and I firmly believe I would have achieved higher had they let me. I'm sure students will just not turn up for some lessons so you won't be the only one if you decide to bunk. However just make use of your frees productively (past papers and mark schemes rather than staring at a textbook) and work when you get home aswell. I know how you feel though, it's like a police state . The people that want to do well in their exams will use the time off wisely and those who won't probably haven't applied themselves anyway. My old sixth form college scrapped study leave due to feedback from the previous year who said they preferred coming in to lessons
Original post by corey7695
My school doesn't give study leave either, but it does for GCSE..
Just suck it up I guess, do as much as you can inbetween lessons and use the teachers for any info you need

Yes I guess so!! I was just thinking of attending the lessons necessary but and I have no reason not to believe that my school wouldn't kick me out with the way my attendance has been this year, I think I am on 84% :eek:
Original post by neal95
Mine didn't last year and I firmly believe I would have achieved higher had they let me. I'm sure students will just not turn up for some lessons so you won't be the only one if you decide to bunk. However just make use of your frees productively (past papers and mark schemes rather than staring at a textbook) and work when you get home aswell. I know how you feel though, it's like a police state . The people that want to do well in their exams will use the time off wisely and those who won't probably haven't applied themselves anyway. My old sixth form college scrapped study leave due to feedback from the previous year who said they preferred coming in to lessons

Oh god that's what I am afraid of, I am truly an independent learner and personally I find teachers just get in the way of my learning(not claiming I'm some type of genius, but I don't like their methods such as drawing mind maps and things) so I teach myself stuff after and normally better, so even if I attended my teachers history lessons I would have to teach myself again anyway, thus wasting precious time.

Oh well suck it up as the person above said, I'm sure it will be alright and thankfully I have a half term for my 3 other exams, which are probably my hardest exams so I'm not complaining to much:rolleyes:

Saying that I will probably be bunking of assemblies, PSHE lessons :indiff: and lessons where all the content is done!
Yes I guess so!! I was just thinking of attending the lessons necessary but and I have no reason not to believe that my school wouldn't kick me out with the way my attendance has been this year, I think I am on 84% :eek:

haha i was like that last year, its ok as long as you make sure you're in most days, attendance isn't a factor for uni or anything, unless they put it in your reference or something. Do people actually get kicked out of a levels for bad attendance?
Oh god that's what I am afraid of, I am truly an independent learner and personally I find teachers just get in the way of my learning(not claiming I'm some type of genius, but I don't like their methods such as drawing mind maps and things) so I teach myself stuff after and normally better, so even if I attended my teachers history lessons I would have to teach myself again anyway, thus wasting precious time.Oh well suck it up as the person above said, I'm sure it will be alright and thankfully I have a half term for my 3 other exams, which are probably my hardest exams so I'm not complaining to much:rolleyes: Saying that I will probably be bunking of assemblies, PSHE lessons :indiff: and lessons where all the content is done!

I'm the same I'm a much more independent learner and prefer to take y own time to read the textbooks/material and practice the exam technique. During my gap year I have been much more productive and I definitely feel more confident with the material, although having learnt the stuff once already helps as it's just refreshing your memory really. Good luck with your exams I am sure you will be fine if you work smart and don't worry your sixth form is unlikely to kick you out due to attendance unless it is like below 50% or something ridiculous
Reply 7
There's only one solution - burn it down! :tongue:

Ahh, it must be really stressful. :grouphugs:

From the sounds of it your head of year wouldn't let you stay at home, but perhaps you could ask about doing some independent study in the library? You could try and persuade her that because it's so close to exams you just need to do things at your own pace. Failing that, you could just do your own thing in the lesson, and if you get asked a question just say that you don't know. Sure, it's not the best environment to learn in... but it sounds like it's better than whatever's being taught.
if you manage to get your parents support - just skive or apply for holiday leave (2 weeks max)
What's more important your attendance or your grades?
My sixth form isn't giving us study leave either. I'm going to the library instead because no one at my college actually cares and just distracts the lesson if we're doing work.
At the end of the day your grades are more important than attendance!
Original post by Ladymusiclover

My grades absolutely! but as I said before my attendance is at 84% and it's likely I wont go in anyway but I'm worried about that because they keep giving us warnings about not being able to continue in the 6th form next year if we have bad attendance, they have already warned one guy about it and told him he won't be able to continue if he doesn't sort it out (Infront of the 6th form assembly which was very unfair on him and he isn't even one of those obnoxious students).
Reply 13
Original post by Ladymusiclover

grades. coz if u get A's 85% and a B (AAAB) with 70% attendance imagine what that person wudve got with 100%
Original post by contradicta
if you manage to get your parents support - just skive or apply for holiday leave (2 weeks max)

I'm going to speak to someone and express my concerns, if that doesn't work I am not going in.
Original post by SeanFM
Ahh, it must be really stressful. :grouphugs:

From the sounds of it your head of year wouldn't let you stay at home, but perhaps you could ask about doing some independent study in the library? You could try and persuade her that because it's so close to exams you just need to do things at your own pace. Failing that, you could just do your own thing in the lesson, and if you get asked a question just say that you don't know. Sure, it's not the best environment to learn in... but it sounds like it's better than whatever's being taught.

That's a good idea too, I might just not leave the library the days I have to go in, I mean they can't drag me out of it physically lol.

Thankyou and the lesson thing is good too!!
My grades absolutely! but as I said before my attendance is at 84% and it's likely I wont go in anyway but I'm worried about that because they keep giving us warnings about not being able to continue in the 6th form next year if we have bad attendance, they have already warned one guy about it and told him he won't be able to continue if he doesn't sort it out (Infront of the 6th form assembly which was very unfair on him and he isn't even one of those obnoxious students).

I'm in A2 and my college had a similar attendance policy if it's below 90% you can't continue. My attendance was like 70% because I didn't go to lessons near exam time. If you get good grades, they are likely to allow you to continue. tbh, i think these policies are to 'scare' you into attending all your lessons but grades are the most important thing, not attendance.
We don't get study leave either. It's rubbish, I'm in year 13 and have spent the last 2 years arguing about it with my head teacher, but basically they don't trust us to study at home so keep us in school. Simple as that really, had to suck it up and deal with it last year so I guess this year will be the same.
Tell me about, our school is utter ****!! :mad: We can go talk to the head of sixth form together, but my attendance is just as bad, if not worse. I need that extra time. :frown: I'm contemplating of bunking also.
ugh thats annoying, lol i just wouldn't turn up tbh

Quick Reply

Latest