The Student Room Group

Dealing with bad year 12 mock grades

I'm not sure what to do. I've already broke down over my results multiple times. I got an E in chem, D in maths and a B in biology. In topic tests I was getting As and Bs I don't know what to do.i wanted to be a dentist and was planning to take UCAT but I know now there's definitely no chance of me being accepted. I've look at dental hygiene and pharmacy instead but it's so disheartening.
Reply 1
hey, i understand that it may not be nice to see those grades but i've heard many schools do mock exams at the start of year 13 to see if anybody has improved and change any predicted grades if necessary. the best thing i can tell you to do is just use these grades as motivation to try even harder to reach the grades you want and need in any more tests you have, whether that be trying out new revision styles or just going over content/exam technique again. predicted grades are also based off topic tests as well as mocks (at least they are in my school) so your topic test grades will definitely be accounted for.

away from grades, if you still take the ucat and do well in that then assuming you have a really good personal statement with relevant work experience, then you definitely still have a chance. doing a little bit everyday honestly can make a huge difference and you still have time to change things, even just making weekly goals to go over one topic in a subject can help you a lot. nothing is going to change if you dwell on it for too long. the quicker you take action on it, the quicker you will be able to see improvements. you can get through this and still become a dentist!
Reply 2
Original post by uglyplushy
hey, i understand that it may not be nice to see those grades but i've heard many schools do mock exams at the start of year 13 to see if anybody has improved and change any predicted grades if necessary. the best thing i can tell you to do is just use these grades as motivation to try even harder to reach the grades you want and need in any more tests you have, whether that be trying out new revision styles or just going over content/exam technique again. predicted grades are also based off topic tests as well as mocks (at least they are in my school) so your topic test grades will definitely be accounted for.

away from grades, if you still take the ucat and do well in that then assuming you have a really good personal statement with relevant work experience, then you definitely still have a chance. doing a little bit everyday honestly can make a huge difference and you still have time to change things, even just making weekly goals to go over one topic in a subject can help you a lot. nothing is going to change if you dwell on it for too long. the quicker you take action on it, the quicker you will be able to see improvements. you can get through this and still become a dentist!

they've decided to do a mock resit thank goodness! im going to put my all into getting an A in this mock, i think i will be able to beg my teacher in biology for an A as i got a B but got As and Bs in my topic tests. For maths im not so sure, she said the highest she can predict is a B at the minute and to just keep redoing topic tests. Do you think its possible to go from an E to an A
Reply 3
Original post by silentwanderer
they've decided to do a mock resit thank goodness! im going to put my all into getting an A in this mock, i think i will be able to beg my teacher in biology for an A as i got a B but got As and Bs in my topic tests. For maths im not so sure, she said the highest she can predict is a B at the minute and to just keep redoing topic tests. Do you think its possible to go from an E to an A

yes it is possible to go from an E to an A given that 1. you work hard to get a better grade in the mock resit and 2 continue to do well in classes until the end of the y12 year and the start of y13
I got bad yr 12 mock grades but turned it around at yr 13 and now studying law at a russell group. dont stress it and just focus up on your work. My bad grades were a wake up call, maybe this will be for you
Reply 5
Original post by silentwanderer

Heya!
If it he;ps, use free resources like Study Mind which has lots of free revision notes and past papers to help you achieve higher grades :h:

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest