The Student Room Group

Will employers really care what Uni I graduate from? I'm doing Marketing.

Life is just strange and weird, and random sometimes. I mean, I wanted to do Marketing at Aston University as it's offering the degree in BSc (Bachelor of Science) but they are being quite stupid about their entry requirements, I don't know why, so therefore I'm unable to land a place. However I got a unconditional offer from Birmingham City University for the exact same course as they are more lenient, but its a BA instead (Bachelor of Arts).

YET, the #1 uni for marketing in the UK is Lancaster and they offered me a place too, however Aston won't even though its ranked much more down. This is what I mean when some situations can be funny and stupid. Lancaster is too far away for me so I unfortunately won't be going there, I only asked them as there were still spaces left on my choice list, but I would have loved to.

What I mean to ask is, would any of this make me stand out differently? For example, is an employer really going to look at my application and think 'Hmm, sorry no, this guy has a BA in Marketing from Birmingham City, rather than a BSc from Aston'. Is any of this really going to matter? Personally I would have preferred to have gone to Aston as I've already been there for like a month when I did Computer Science. The campus is decent and the vibe there was lowkey chill. Birmingham City seems like a downgrade to me, but I don't get why Aston have upped their entry requirements for that course when Computer Science is like 10x more difficult yet it's entry requirements are like a breeze now.

Any answer will be helpful, thanks.
Original post by robtel1709
Life is just strange and weird, and random sometimes. I mean, I wanted to do Marketing at Aston University as it's offering the degree in BSc (Bachelor of Science) but they are being quite stupid about their entry requirements, I don't know why, so therefore I'm unable to land a place. However I got a unconditional offer from Birmingham City University for the exact same course as they are more lenient, but its a BA instead (Bachelor of Arts).

YET, the #1 uni for marketing in the UK is Lancaster and they offered me a place too, however Aston won't even though its ranked much more down. This is what I mean when some situations can be funny and stupid. Lancaster is too far away for me so I unfortunately won't be going there, I only asked them as there were still spaces left on my choice list, but I would have loved to.

What I mean to ask is, would any of this make me stand out differently? For example, is an employer really going to look at my application and think 'Hmm, sorry no, this guy has a BA in Marketing from Birmingham City, rather than a BSc from Aston'. Is any of this really going to matter? Personally I would have preferred to have gone to Aston as I've already been there for like a month when I did Computer Science. The campus is decent and the vibe there was lowkey chill. Birmingham City seems like a downgrade to me, but I don't get why Aston have upped their entry requirements for that course when Computer Science is like 10x more difficult yet it's entry requirements are like a breeze now.

For Marketing, employers won't care whether you have a BSc from Aston University or BA from Birmingham City University.

However, I believe the Aston course is a four-year course with a built-in placement year. That will make it more valuable to employers.

For graduates from both courses to be equally attractive, those going to Birmingham City would need to avail themselves of the optional placement year (as described here).
Original post by DataVenia
For Marketing, employers won't care whether you have a BSc from Aston University or BA from Birmingham City University.

However, I believe the Aston course is a four-year course with a built-in placement year. That will make it more valuable to employers.

For graduates from both courses to be equally attractive, those going to Birmingham City would need to avail themselves of the optional placement year (as described here).

Ah yes, I forgot to mention I'd be undertaking a placement year as well. I'm only doing that for the purpose of a reference so that I have at least SOME experience.
Original post by 哪壶不开提哪壶
From what I know of people in marketing they should be grateful you can sting a sentence together .

LOL what do you mean? "sting" a sentence together... lmao!
Original post by 哪壶不开提哪壶
Typo I meant string . Obviously

Yeah DUH lol but I meant your comment. What's your experience of those who do marketing if they should be grateful that someone can string along a sentence correctly? That doesn't sound too good.

Hi @robtel1709,
Firstly, congratulations on landing an unconditional offer from BCU and an offer at Lancaster. I understand your confusion with the titles of BA and BSc.

With BSc courses it tends to be more logical focused, whereas BA is more creative when tackling tasks within the course. Both of these Degree titled hold a high place in employers eyes. BCU does offer Placement years for this course as well as the 3 year course.

BCU has great social aspect I am a second year student and am loving my time here, there are many social events whether that be from societies or just a night out. I would suggest coming along to an Open Day at BCU this will allow you to get a feel for the campus and what it can offer you.
Hope this helps and Good Luck
Gurpej (Student Rep)
(edited 11 months ago)
CIM accreditation/professional exemption matters far more than specific degrees. For a marketing career you’ll normally be expected to get professional postgraduate qualifications from CIM to progress.
Reply 7
Honestly depending what you actually want to go into, most places won’t care you’ve got a degree in marketing let alone where it’s from.
My mum is in insurance and used to work on the marketing side of things, she actually would often avoid uni grads when hiring because they generally had unrealistic expectations of their salary prospects because that’s how university had been sold to them.
In a lot of marketing jobs, your value will come from experience in the industry rather than your degree or where it’s come from.
Original post by 哪壶不开提哪壶
You ever heard the expression those that can’t do teach ?

well here another , those that can’t make , market .

Literally never heard it until you mentioned it, but I'm not asking for expressions and quotes, Im asking for evidence in the form of examples, personal experiences etc. Otherwise its just all baloney.
Original post by 哪壶不开提哪壶
You want names and address ?

Sure bro
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @robtel1709,
Firstly Congratulations on landing an unconditional offer from BCU and an offer at Lancaster. I understand your confusion with the titles of BA and BSc. With BSc courses it tends to be more logical focused, whereas BA is more creative when tackling tasks within the course. Both of these Degree titled hold a high place in employers eyes. BCU does offer Placement years for this course as well as the 3 year course. BCU has great social aspect I am a second year student and am loving my time here, there are many social events whether that be from societies or just a night out. I would suggest coming along to an [url= Open]https://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/open-days]Open Day at BCU
this will allow you to get a feel for the campus and what it can offer you.
Hope this helps and Good Luck
Gurpej (Student Rep)

Thanks for your reply. I also made another thread on here asking for the difference between the two BCU courses, Marketing with Advertising and Public Relations, and Marketing with Digital Communication. Are you able to explain this for me? I wanted to know the biggest key differences between the 2 courses and whether it will matter from a employers perspective.

Rankings aren’t a reflection of how competitive (or prestigious) a university & course is.

Frankly a degree by itself (either the BA @ BCU or the BSc @ Aston) wont make you “stand out”, what you achieve and do at university will. A student who graduates with a 1st, academic award, leadership experience, volunteering & an internship will stand out...
Original post by username6146774
Thanks for your reply. I also made another thread on here asking for the difference between the two BCU courses, Marketing with Advertising and Public Relations, and Marketing with Digital Communication. Are you able to explain this for me? I wanted to know the biggest key differences between the 2 courses and whether it will matter from a employers perspective.

Hi @username6146774,
I would suggest going over to the BCU website and search for these courses and see what modules you would be taking over the three years at University. From this I would then make a list of all the differences between each of the course and what you think is the best fit for you. Hope this helps!

Gurpej(Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending