The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Fashion design

I'm interested in pursuing a fashion ma, I was wondering students get to showcase their work and if they get recommended or entered in competitions
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm interested in pursuing a fashion ma, I was wondering students get to showcase their work and if they get recommended or entered in competitions

Hey there!

It's wonderful that you are considering studying a postgraduate degree in Fashion. It's definitely a very exciting pathway.

Have you thought about what field in fashion would you like to pursue....
There is Marketing, Fashion Design, Merchandising & Buying, Sustainability, Communication and so many more fields to look into.

I'd love to know where your interest lies.

At UAL, all students, at the completion of their degree get the opportunity to showcase their work at UAL's Graduate Showcase. The Graduate Showcase attracts visitors and employers from all different fields and is a wonderful way to showcase your work. Additionally, UAL, Careers and Employability Team support all students in realising their plans post graduation. Be it applying for jobs, or selling their work, or entering competition and applying for grants and various other pathways.

Careers&Employability
Student_Careers

I hope this helps 🙂 , please do reach out with any more questions.

Best,
Teju
UAL Ambassador
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey there!

It's wonderful that you are considering studying a postgraduate degree in Fashion. It's definitely a very exciting pathway.

Have you thought about what field in fashion would you like to pursue....
There is Marketing, Fashion Design, Merchandising & Buying, Sustainability, Communication and so many more fields to look into.

I'd love to know where your interest lies.

At UAL, all students, at the completion of their degree get the opportunity to showcase their work at UAL's Graduate Showcase. The Graduate Showcase attracts visitors and employers from all different fields and is a wonderful way to showcase your work. Additionally, UAL, Careers and Employability Team support all students in realising their plans post graduation. Be it applying for jobs, or selling their work, or entering competition and applying for grants and various other pathways.

Careers&Employability
Student_Careers

I hope this helps 🙂 , please do reach out with any more questions.

Best,
Teju
UAL Ambassador

Hey
I would love to pursue fashion design as its something I'm passionate about and I get excited when I see jobs for fashion design.

I'm unsure if I should pursue a safer choice for a ba or if I should just take a risk and try to pursue fashion design. I really don't want to miss out on networking opportunities but I don't want to be struggling to find a job.

I love fashion design but I also love marketing. I was wondering if the fashion design and development ba degree at ual would allow me to go into either fashion design or marketing.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey
I would love to pursue fashion design as its something I'm passionate about and I get excited when I see jobs for fashion design.

I'm unsure if I should pursue a safer choice for a ba or if I should just take a risk and try to pursue fashion design. I really don't want to miss out on networking opportunities but I don't want to be struggling to find a job.

I love fashion design but I also love marketing. I was wondering if the fashion design and development ba degree at ual would allow me to go into either fashion design or marketing.

Hey,

Fashion design is definitely a wonderful stream. It is creative, exciting and lucrative.

A decision between an MA (assuming you are eligible to apply) and BA is very personal. There are multiple things to consider like the duration of the courses, main goal behind the chosen course etc.

I personally don't thing fashion design is very risky, especially in a city like London where upon looking one can find innumerable opportunities within the industry.

Fashion Marketing is also a brilliant stream. It's very versatile, diverse and multifaceted.I understand your concerns about finding a job and stability once you are done with the course. I'd recommend trying out a few things like:

Really analysing your own interests, talents and what is that really drives you and your passion in life. Based on that maybe you can make a better decision. Maybe think about wether you want to unleash your creativity in communicating ideas behind the garments, make people dream about outfits through your work and create a brand image OR do you want to design the garments, bring your sketches to life and maybe have your own brand in the future?

Secondly, I would recommend looking at the projects from courses like the MA in Marketing, MA Womenswear/Menswear etc. See what excites you more.

Then I would recommend thinking about how the skills you might already have could be combined with either of the courses that you are looking to pursue and what combination looks better to you.

This might be hard, but maybe you would want to try and intern or volunteer in either roles (designing/marketing) to gain a deep understanding of what you really want to do. What excites you.

Lastly, I'd say lookup people on LinkedIn who are doing the kind of work that you wish to do in the future and see what skills they have. Additionally, I'd recommend looking up people from the courses that you like and see the roles those people are in and if that's something you would want for yourself.

About the Fashion Design and Development BA, I believe it is a design course but they also teach some aspects of the fashion business along with it and other things like digital design and softwares. There are no specific pathways that one can choose. But it's definitely a bit more multifaceted than a BA Menswear/Womenswear which are absolutely design focussed degrees.
Again, I'd recommend looking at graduate projects and LinkedIn profiles to gain a better understanding of what the future after this course could hold.

Whatever decision you make, it'll be wonderful and work out in your favour.

I hope this helps. Please do reach out with any more questions that you might have. More than happy to help.

Best,
Teju
UAL Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending