The Student Room Group

Advice on who cuts the hedge?

There are hedge fences on both sides of the house. We cut our side of the hedge on both the left and the right side of the house. One side of the neighbour also does the same.
The other neighbour is being difficult? How should it work?
Reply 1
Original post by Kutie Karen
There are hedge fences on both sides of the house. We cut our side of the hedge on both the left and the right side of the house. One side of the neighbour also does the same.
The other neighbour is being difficult? How should it work?

Look at the deeds of the house. They normally say who is responsible for which fence/ hedge/ wall. Normally you are only responsible for one side if it’s a wall or fence, but can be responsible for both if you have planted vegetation in front of a wall or fence.
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
Look at the deeds of the house. They normally say who is responsible for which fence/ hedge/ wall. Normally you are only responsible for one side if it’s a wall or fence, but can be responsible for both if you have planted vegetation in front of a wall or fence.

Unfortunatley they don's specfiy. Only the back garden fence is marked. Do you not only trim it at your side of the house and the neighbours does their side? i.e split down the middle?
Reply 3
Unfortunatley they don's specfiy. Only the back garden fence is marked. Do you not only trim it at your side of the house and the neighbours does their side? i.e split down the middle?

If it’s not specified in the deeds then you would normally cut your side and they should cut theirs.But in that case you can’t normally force them to trim their side unless it is causing structural damage to your property or is exceeding the height legally enforceable in your area. If they want to let nature run riot on their side you can’t do an awful lot about it.
Reply 4
Original post by Euapp
If it’s not specified in the deeds then you would normally cut your side and they should cut theirs.But in that case you can’t normally force them to trim their side unless it is causing structural damage to your property or is exceeding the height legally enforceable in your area. If they want to let nature run riot on their side you can’t do an awful lot about it.

Thanks. They want me to cut the whole hedge!! That is ridculous as most people split the hedge down the middle and cut their half. Can they even do that?
Reply 5
Thanks. They want me to cut the whole hedge!! That is ridculous as most people split the hedge down the middle and cut their half. Can they even do that?

The thing is that you can’t force them to cut their half if it’s not interfering with telephone or electricity cables or if it’s not higher than that stipulated by local council bye laws or clauses in the deeds. So the only choice you have is either to live with a messy hedge or cut it for them.
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
The thing is that you can’t force them to cut their half if it’s not interfering with telephone or electricity cables or if it’s not higher than that stipulated by local council bye laws or clauses in the deeds. So the only choice you have is either to live with a messy hedge or cut it for them.

It is not me that is asking them to cut the hedge. They want me to cut the whole hedge. I don't think that is fair.
Reply 7
It is not me that is asking them to cut the hedge. They want me to cut the whole hedge. I don't think that is fair.

If it’s not written in the deeds that you are responsible for the entire hedge then they can’t force you. End of story. What they want doesn’t come into it.
Reply 8
Original post by Euapp
If it’s not written in the deeds that you are responsible for the entire hedge then they can’t force you. End of story. What they want doesn’t come into it.

How would I be responisble for both side of the hedges? It sounds unfair.
Reply 9

Unless it’s written into the deeds then you are not, but for example with my road each property owner is responsible for the wall or hedge on the left hand side of their property in its entirety I.e both sides of the hedge.
Reply 10
Original post by Euapp
Unless it’s written into the deeds then you are not, but for example with my road each property owner is responsible for the wall or hedge on the left hand side of their property in its entirety I.e both sides of the hedge.

When you say left side, is it looking at house from the perspective of when you enter the front door to go inside ?
Reply 11
When you say left side, is it looking at house from the perspective of when you enter the front door to go inside ?

Yes.
Reply 12
Original post by Euapp
Yes.

thanks. is that the norm or can vary from street to street?
Reply 13
thanks. is that the norm or can vary from street to street?

I really couldn’t say. It’s written into our deeds.

You aren't responsible for both sides, you are only responsible for your side. If you cut the top level, assuming the centre of the hedge is the boundary (if it wasn't it would be on one or other party's property and in the deeds), then strictly speaking you should return their cuttings, it tip them over their side. You have no obligation to go around and cut their side, unless you choose to be neighbourly.
Reply 15
Original post by threeportdrift
You aren't responsible for both sides, you are only responsible for your side. If you cut the top level, assuming the centre of the hedge is the boundary (if it wasn't it would be on one or other party's property and in the deeds), then strictly speaking you should return their cuttings, it tip them over their side. You have no obligation to go around and cut their side, unless you choose to be neighbourly.

Thanks. So what is currently happenign is cutting both the hedges on the right of house and left of the house on our side is correct way?
Thanks. So what is currently happenign is cutting both the hedges on the right of house and left of the house on our side is correct way?

I'm not a lawyer, I don't know the details of the law on this, just a householder for many years with various boundaries.

I don't think the 'in the absence of deeds, the responsibility falls on one side' thing applies to hedges. A fence sitting on a boundary can be accessed and managed from one side (apart from painting) but a hedge, as you are finding cannot. I suspect the right to privacy and choice over access trumps any supposed 'right' to cut the hedge which is your responsibility from your neighbours side.

So whichever side of your garden, the your side of the hedge is your responsibility, and your neighbours side is their responsibility.

it's always best to try not to let these things escalate with neighbours, but if yours are being completely unreasonable, you may find value in asking a solicitor and paying for a letter explaining the position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending