The Student Room Group

Applying to Msc/MRes and PhD at the same university?

I have applied for a PhD at X uni but my chances are slim considering the interests of the professors listed in the department are not exactly aligned with mine. So I'm not sure if I will find a supervisory team

It's been over 1 month and they hadn't even looked at my application. I had to contact the admissions office who has nudged the admissions tutor. But I'm not sure .

I have applied for an MSc there (I have a masters ) because if I don't get in, I can do another masters in sustainability and then do my PhD. Hoping to get better grades and scholarship.

But will this look bad?
@Admit-One saw you said that you work in postgraduate admissions so quoting
Original post by BlueEyesHypnotiz
I have applied for a PhD at X uni but my chances are slim considering the interests of the professors listed in the department are not exactly aligned with mine. So I'm not sure if I will find a supervisory team

It's been over 1 month and they hadn't even looked at my application. I had to contact the admissions office who has nudged the admissions tutor. But I'm not sure .

I have applied for an MSc there (I have a masters ) because if I don't get in, I can do another masters in sustainability and then do my PhD. Hoping to get better grades and scholarship.

But will this look bad?

Typically, no, it would not disadvantage you at all. They’ll be looked at by different teams and unis know that you might need to hedge your bets a bit.

Original post by BlueEyesHypnotiz
@Admit-One saw you said that you work in postgraduate admissions so quoting

Cheers for the tag.
Original post by Admit-One
Typically, no, it would not disadvantage you at all. They’ll be looked at by different teams and unis know that you might need to hedge your bets a bit.
Cheers for the tag.

Thank you so much. Relieved now 😌

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending