The Student Room Group

Courses for those who enjoy both human and physical geography

I am currently looking to study geography at university next year. I have been wondering, as someone who enjoys both human and physical geography, if BSc or BA geography courses are generally better to study for those in this position. The universities I am especially considering at the moment are Queen Mary University of London and University of Liverpool. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Original post by Mainey372
I am currently looking to study geography at university next year. I have been wondering, as someone who enjoys both human and physical geography, if BSc or BA geography courses are generally better to study for those in this position. The universities I am especially considering at the moment are Queen Mary University of London and University of Liverpool. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi @Mainey372,
From my experience at Lancaster uni, there's not a massive difference between the BA and Bsc geography courses. The best thing to do would be to look at the types of modules you would study under each courses, and see which ones you prefer. When applying i would just go for the one you have a slight preference for eg. if you prefer Human geography pick the BA. However, as the courses tend to be quite similar, there might be a option to change between the courses when you get to uni in your first year, as a back up option.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd year Physical Geography)
Original post by Mainey372

Hi there,

Similarly to Lancaster, in my experience at Chester, there isn't a big difference between BA and BSc. When choosing modules, students usually pick from the same bunch, so classes are a mix of both human and physical students. That's what I love about it, because I also love both human and physical geography (and find it difficult to choose between!).

I'd recommend that you look at the modules that are offered for both courses. Is there any difference? Do you see something that you would prefer to study over something else?

You might also be able to change between the courses in your first year (which I did myself) if you end up preferring the future modules of one.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography (BA) with a Year Abroad Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending