The Student Room Group

How do i give up on medicine?

i have always wanted to be a doctor since i was little. however, i got ABB in my levels and couldn't do medicine undergrad. So i went on to do an undergraduate degree in biochemistry and got a 1st class degree. I applied for postgraduate entry medicine but i got reject pre-interview by every single uni. i know i can easily go to Bulgaria and do medicine but i don't have the money for that. i just want to give up on medicine and do something else but my heart is so set on medicine, everytime i look to a new career, medicine is all i want to do. i am just not good enough for medicine and i really want to let go and just move on and do a job but mentally its so hard to move on cus medicine has been what i have already to do for 10 years now. i just want to have a new dream
That sounds really tough. Congrats for getting a 1st in Biochemistry though!! That's an incredible achievement and I hope you're proud of yourself. I can only recommend that you don't give up. If medicine what your heart is set on it's not too late. You could maybe work in a health related field for a year or so and reapply. From what I've heard, graduate-entry medicine is harder to get into than undergrad so you could maybe reapply to undergrad to increase your chances. Get work experience in the health field and reapply. I'd say it's not too late yet.
Reply 2
You could give it another go. From what I can see, you have almost certainly underappreciated the entrance exams? I am going to bet you also only did UCAT? If correct, I suggest doing the GAMSAT and applying to A101. This is what I did this year after being in your situation last year, and I got offers.
Reply 3
Have you considered being a PA? All the perks of being a doctor without the crap. And better pay. I would definitely go down that route rather than medicine if I wanted to work in healthcare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending