The Student Room Group

People who undertook graduate medicine without a science background

I have recently applied for graduate medicine, have received an offer from Newcastle and am still waiting a reply from Southampton. I have no science background since GCSE, I took no science A-Levels and did my first degree in Economics. I feel comfortable with Maths but worry I will be far behind those who did Biomed or even just those who did science A-Levels. For anyone who was previously in my situation, do you know of any subjects you think I should do a bit of research on before I go? Like I said, I don't want to be behind before I've even started. Thanks!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by jacobadd
I have recently applied for graduate medicine, have received an offer from Newcastle and am still waiting a reply from Southampton. I have no science background since GCSE, I took no science A-Levels and did my first degree in Economics. I feel comfortable with Maths but worry I will be far behind those who did Biomed or even just those who did science A-Levels. For anyone who was previously in my situation, do you know of any subjects you think I should do a bit of research on before I go? Like I said, I don't want to be behind before I've even started. Thanks!

I'm a current GEM student at Newcastle. I had no science A-levels either, and as I was 35 when I started the course, my GCSE knowledge had rusted away to virtually nothing. The key points:

Biomed grads don't have any advantage. You won't be behind other people.

You probably won't believe the above. In my first semester, whenever I heard life sciences grads talking about how intense and overwhelming they were finding the course, I thought they were either exaggerating or studying the material in much greater depth than I was capable of learning it. I was wrong. The undergrad biomed curriculum doesn't have that much overlap with medicine and most things really were as new to them as they were to me. In our first exam, the student who got the top mark (in the high 80s) was an arts graduate who didn't even do science GCSEs, and they weren't an anomaly - one of my interviewers even told me that the reason why Newcastle doesn't have subject-specific A-level requirements for the standard five-year programme is because it seemed silly to go on asking those applicants for sciences when GEM students with pure humanities backgrounds were doing fine. The course staff have often commented that in their experience people from non-science backgrounds will have closed any knowledge gap that did exist by Christmas.

You'll still struggle to believe point #1 even now you have this info. The course is fast-paced and the sheer volume of the content can make you feel as if you're drowning. There'll be days when you panic and decide that while the other humanities grads might be doing fine, you're the dud they let in by mistake. When that happens, remind yourself that everyone in the room will be more than familiar with the thought.

Your background will be useful in its own right. When I was struggling through the immunology case I was very envious of the student who had done an immunology-related MSc dissertation. It all looked so easy for them. But then there were topics where I suddenly found myself more confident and knowledgeable than my classmates, and that was often because of prior experience that I would never have assumed would be connected at all. You'll be surprised at how many relevant skills you've picked up.

With this in mind, I wouldn't recommend doing much preparatory study before you start. If I'd tried to do that, I think it would have backfired on me - I would have worried about what I was getting myself into. When you start, you'll have a teaching block called Foundation, which incorporates the fundamentals of neuroscience, cell biology, genetics, and pharmacology. This will give you a fairly solid base, and you revisit the topics in greater detail as the year progresses, so don't feel as if you have to know everything perfectly by the time Foundation finishes. All I would recommend is familarising yourself with core scientific vocabulary from those four areas if you're very rusty on terminology. (I kept having to look up what various things meant in my first couple of months.) Khan Academy has some nice simple videos and concept pages that are good for that.

Congrats on your offer, and I hope you end up at your first choice, whichever it is. 🙂
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheMedicOwl
I'm a current GEM student at Newcastle. I had no science A-levels either, and as I was 35 when I started the course, my GCSE knowledge had rusted away to virtually nothing. The key points:

Biomed grads don't have any advantage. You won't be behind other people.

You probably won't believe the above. In my first semester, whenever I heard life sciences grads talking about how intense and overwhelming they were finding the course, I thought they were either exaggerating or studying the material in much greater depth than I was capable of learning it. I was wrong. The undergrad biomed curriculum doesn't have that much overlap with medicine and most things really were as new to them as they were to me. In our first exam, the student who got the top mark (in the high 80s) was an arts graduate who didn't even do science GCSEs, and they weren't an anomaly - one of my interviewers even told me that the reason why Newcastle doesn't have subject-specific A-level requirements for the standard five-year programme is because it seemed silly to go on asking those applicants for sciences when GEM students with pure humanities backgrounds were doing fine. The course staff have often commented that in their experience people from non-science backgrounds will have closed any knowledge gap that did exist by Christmas.

You'll still struggle to believe point #1 even now you have this info. The course is fast-paced and the sheer volume of the content can make you feel as if you're drowning. There'll be days when you panic and decide that while the other humanities grads might be doing fine, you're the dud they let in by mistake. When that happens, remind yourself that everyone in the room will be more than familiar with the thought.

Your background will be useful in its own right. When I was struggling through the immunology case I was very envious of the student who had done an immunology-related MSc dissertation. It all looked so easy for them. But then there were topics where I suddenly found myself more confident and knowledgeable than my classmates, and that was often because of prior experience that I would never have assumed would be connected at all. You'll be surprised at how many relevant skills you've picked up.

With this in mind, I wouldn't recommend doing much preparatory study before you start. If I'd tried to do that, I think it would have backfired on me - I would have worried about what I was getting myself into. When you start, you'll have a teaching block called Foundation, which incorporates the fundamentals of neuroscience, cell biology, genetics, and pharmacology. This will give you a fairly solid base, and you revisit the topics in greater detail as the year progresses, so don't feel as if you have to know everything perfectly by the time Foundation finishes. All I would recommend is familarising yourself with core scientific vocabulary from those four areas if you're very rusty on terminology. (I kept having to look up what various things meant in my first couple of months.) Khan Academy has some nice simple videos and concept pages that are good for that.

Congrats on your offer, and I hope you end up at your first choice, whichever it is. 🙂
Wow, thanks for the in depth reply. You’ve put my mind at ease. I’ve always known it’s going to be intense, so it’s good to know I’m not at a disadvantage from the off.

I’ll take up your advice and learn up on some scientific vocabulary.

In terms of my first choice, assuming I get an offer from Southampton (fingers crossed), I’m still undecided. There’s more GEM students on the Southampton course and the first 3 years are condensed into 2 rather than first 2 into 1, which appeals to me. But then, Newcastle is an amazing city!

Thanks again for the reply, I really appreciate it. Good luck with the rest of your studies!
Reply 4
hi im thinking of applying to Newcastle could you explain the procedure and grades you've got im barely just getting a 2:1 and im unsure if I should apply could you plz tell what requirements and how you scored the place plz :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Laibasaj
hi im thinking of applying to Newcastle could you explain the procedure and grades you've got im barely just getting a 2:1 and im unsure if I should apply could you plz tell what requirements and how you scored the place plz :smile:
Hi, what degree are you undertaking right now? I did Economics, which I think has helped me since they want a diversity in the subjects that people have taken before they undertake the course at Newcastle. If you’re worried about just getting a 2:1, don’t stress too hard! Plenty of GEM students only received a 2:1. It’s worth looking at other universities as well, however, Southampton don’t favour students who received a 1:1 over a 2:1, they literally just require at least a 2:1 for you to be considered.

It’s important before you even think about applying to get some work experience/volunteer work. I managed to get work experience shadowing on an orthopaedic ward and I also volunteered at a care home. Not only does it look good on your personal statement, it helps you to get a feel if Medicine is really for you or not.

After this, you have to take the UCAT (or GAMSAT if you’re also considering other universities). Check the average UCAT grades for Newcastle GEM students. I’d heard that the magic rule is an average of 700 (2800 total), although the average score of accepted students was around 750 (3000 total) when I checked. I actually only scored 705 and was still offered an interview.

If you end up like me, with a good UCAT score, but relatively lower to that of the score they usually accept, you have to smash your interview. Luckily for Newcastle, there’s plenty of information on how to prepare for the interview. It’s MMI interviews, so if you can afford it I highly recommend taking a course for MMI interviews. Also, check Newcastle’s website and all their content on YouTube. You’ll need to learn answer structure techniques (STARR and PEE), they just help your answers seem more structured and well thought through.

That’s all I can think of for how I prepared. You just need to show how passionate, determined, resilient you are, but also that you’ve done your research into how Medicine actually works on a day-to-day basis. Do plenty of reading. I’m currently reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. It’s a great read and gives some insight into difficulties that doctors face. A more light hearted (to begin with), is This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay which really gives an insight to how difficult the life of a doctor can be.

Good luck! I found the preparation to be a lot of work alongside a full time job. I guess it’s just how badly you want it! Keep pushing, give yourself plenty of time to prepare and I’m sure you’ll do great :smile:

PS If you are looking at other universities, triple check the entry requirements! Some require certain A-Levels, some require work experience. My options were limited as I didn’t have any A-Level science background

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending