The Student Room Group

WJEC chi distribution question

We’ve been using excedel text books since WJEC does not want to provide us a book, and in the chi distribution section they will normally combine cells when the chi squared is <5. However looking at the past paper from 2019 they didn’t combined cells. Now I’m confused, is combining cells not required by WJEC?
Original post by 8888888A8888
We’ve been using excedel text books since WJEC does not want to provide us a book, and in the chi distribution section they will normally combine cells when the chi squared is <5. However looking at the past paper from 2019 they didn’t combined cells. Now I’m confused, is combining cells not required by WJEC?

It might help if you posted the actual question concerned. However, one thing that might be worth bearing in mind is that the Chi squared pooling rule applies to the expected class values rather than the observed class values.
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
It might help if you posted the actual question concerne. However, one thing that might be worth bearing in mind is that the Chi squared pooling rule applies to the expected class values rather than the observed class values.

I have attached the question along with the mark scheme
Original post by 8888888A8888
I have attached the question along with the mark scheme

The expected frequencies are all 6.25, so none of them are <5 and hence no need to combine columns.
Reply 4
Original post by old_engineer
The expected frequencies are all 6.25, so none of them are <5 and hence no need to combine columns.

Thank you! I’ve confused the expected values with the chi contributions. Thanks again for the clarification

Quick Reply

Latest