The Student Room Group

HELP ! UK National with Irish Passport for student finance 2023

Hi, I'm applying for student finance however seem to be struggling to get it because of the fact my passport is from the Republic of Ireland. I don't have dual nationality however I am an English national and have lived in England for 16 years.
I've called up student finance many times because of this however I'm not getting anywhere really and keep sending off evidence and don't get replies for weeks. Plus I'm going away soon and can't send off my passport :/
Has anyone else had this problem? Apparently the system has changed since 2018 Brexit. Thanks!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by hollyhammnd
Hi, I'm applying for student finance however seem to be struggling to get it because of the fact my passport is from the Republic of Ireland. I don't have dual nationality however I am an English national and have lived in England for 16 years.
I've called up student finance many times because of this however I'm not getting anywhere really and keep sending off evidence and don't get replies for weeks. Plus I'm going away soon and can't send off my passport :/
Has anyone else had this problem? Apparently the system has changed since 2018 Brexit. Thanks!

Hi there,

Do you have an English or UK birth certificate? Have you been asked to post your passport to us?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Do you have an English or UK birth certificate? Have you been asked to post your passport to us?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi!
I've got an Irish birth cert as I was born there. Is there any other way to provide evidence other than sending off my passport? I'm going on holiday soon and will need it.
Thank you!
Hi!
I've got an Irish birth cert as I was born there. Is there any other way to provide evidence other than sending off my passport? I'm going on holiday soon and will need it.
Thank you!

Hi Holly,

The only other option is if you have applied for the Eu Settlement Scheme, you can provide your EU Share Code as evidence. If you haven't done this, we would require your original valid Passport. If you're due to travel within 6 weeks, we advise to not send this till you're back.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Holly,

The only other option is if you have applied for the Eu Settlement Scheme, you can provide your EU Share Code as evidence. If you haven't done this, we would require your original valid Passport. If you're due to travel within 6 weeks, we advise to not send this till you're back.

Thanks,
Claire

Ok thank you for the reply! I don’t get back from holiday until the 6th of August, would it still be enough time to send it then in time for university in September ?
And as well as that, if I had a solicitor certify my passport, could I send that off instead ?
Ok thank you for the reply! I don’t get back from holiday until the 6th of August, would it still be enough time to send it then in time for university in September ?
And as well as that, if I had a solicitor certify my passport, could I send that off instead ?

Hi Holly.

Yes, that's completely fine. We can't accept a certified copy, so the best option here is to post your passport to us once you return in August.

We don't pay the first Tuition Fee Loan instalment until a month after your course begins, so you'll be fine to get approved.

The actual deadline is 9 months after the start of your course, so you have plenty of time to do this.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 6
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Holly.

Yes, that's completely fine. We can't accept a certified copy, so the best option here is to post your passport to us once you return in August.

We don't pay the first Tuition Fee Loan instalment until a month after your course begins, so you'll be fine to get approved.

The actual deadline is 9 months after the start of your course, so you have plenty of time to do this.

Thanks, Graeme

Great, thank you so much for your help! Please can you confirm what exact address I should send it too, thanks again.
Great, thank you so much for your help! Please can you confirm what exact address I should send it too, thanks again.

Of course, this is the address to use.

Thanks, Graeme

Student Finance Services
Student Loans Company
PO Box 89
Darlington
County Durham
DL1 9AZ
United Kingdom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending