The Student Room Group

Keep applying for jobs but getting nothing back

As the title suggests i do keep applying for a summer job while on summer break from uni. I want as many hours as possible to be able to save up a good pot of money before I go back yet none of the jobs I have applied to either get back to me or find out that I am a uni student wanting part-time employment over the summer so discredit me immediately. I now only have around 6 weeks left so I am aware of the time but I live in a small town in Cornwall and I don't drive so I would have to rely on public transport to get around. I was wondering if anyone else has faced this same problem as a uni student or a student at all and I was wondering what I could do.
Tailor your resume: Highlight your relevant skills and experiences, such as customer service, communication, or any previous work experience you may have. Emphasize your ability to balance work and study commitments effectively.

Utilize university resources: Check if your university has a career services department or job board specifically for students. They might have information about part-time job opportunities during the summer break.

Networking: Reach out to friends, family, and acquaintances in your town to see if they know of any job openings. They may have connections or be aware of local businesses looking for temporary help.

Follow up on applications: After submitting applications, give it a few days, and then follow up with a polite phone call or email to inquire about the status of your application. This shows your enthusiasm and interest in the position.
They kept telling the interviewers that they have university in 6 weeks, they aren't offering short term employment. So they kept getting declined. They need to lie a bit or hide that they are going to university in 6 weeks time.
Original post by georgiac2
As the title suggests i do keep applying for a summer job while on summer break from uni. I want as many hours as possible to be able to save up a good pot of money before I go back yet none of the jobs I have applied to either get back to me or find out that I am a uni student wanting part-time employment over the summer so discredit me immediately. I now only have around 6 weeks left so I am aware of the time but I live in a small town in Cornwall and I don't drive so I would have to rely on public transport to get around. I was wondering if anyone else has faced this same problem as a uni student or a student at all and I was wondering what I could do.

Are there any touristy type places around your area? (in more touristy areas like cornwall there might be a few). Touristy type places might be a better bet as they are busier over the summer so will probably need more staff.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Are there any touristy type places around your area? (in more touristy areas like cornwall there might be a few). Touristy type places might be a better bet as they are busier over the summer so will probably need more staff.

I live in a tourist hotspot over the summer, places advertise all the time for jobs over here but never get back to me which is the most infuriating thing ever :smile: but here we are, I had a job previously with my local pub that I did shifts at over Christmas last year and I couldn't work over easter due to moving, and now I've messaged her and asked if she needs any help over the summer but I've not had a response yet and I'm thinking that she may have hired other people to help over the summer which of course is fine but I worked there for 3 years prior to uni so I'm hoping my loyalty will help me through.
I live in a tourist hotspot over the summer, places advertise all the time for jobs over here but never get back to me which is the most infuriating thing ever :smile: but here we are, I had a job previously with my local pub that I did shifts at over Christmas last year and I couldn't work over easter due to moving, and now I've messaged her and asked if she needs any help over the summer but I've not had a response yet and I'm thinking that she may have hired other people to help over the summer which of course is fine but I worked there for 3 years prior to uni so I'm hoping my loyalty will help me through.

Maybe loyalty and hope she has still space, did you let her know that you can only work 6 weeks as well?

Hi,

If you are open to working at a pub or restaurant, maybe try walking in with your CV and ask if they have any vacancies? Your availability to start immediately might be useful to them. Worth giving it a try.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending