The Student Room Group

not being supported by the practice assessor on my placement

As a 2nd year mental health nursing student I am not supported by my practice assessor. Every time I ask to look at my proficiencies to get them signed, she says later, and later goes by days, weeks and months.
Now I am on my 8th week on my placement and am left with only 1 week to complete every thing. What should I do? Should I inform the university about it?

I do not understand why many students on their placement are not supported by their practice assessors/ supervisors. Nurses are busy due to staff shortages and they do not have time to look after students. I think there should be an agreement in place that practice assessors would spend at least 1 hour with the student every day to meet their learning needs, complete their proficiencies and the episode of care. At times the practice assessor would ask the student to fill in their part on the Epad and to sign it without even looking at it. Otherwise, the university should be informed and not to send students on placement on a similar place like this. My practice assessor does not care to look at my epad. So last Monday I escalated it to my Academic Assessor (from the uni) about not being supported on placement and have not met the deadlines. so she asked me to write an email to the practice assessor/ supervisor and cc to her. As soon as I did it other nurses came to support me. I think the manager was informed and she sent other nurse to support me with my epad and that very day most of my epad was done, things that were not done in 8 weeks were done in 2 hours.

Afterwards, the manager and the deputy asked me to join them in a meeting and they asked me why I informed an external body about your incomplete epad. We could do it and the deputy said next Friday I will help you complete all the bits and pieces. On your epad. They are not happy why I informed the university that I was not supported.

From the safe side I should inform the university because if at the last moment my epad is not completed I might fail. So, after informing the university I am covered. But since I informed the university about the malpractice, I am hated by the manager, deputy and the practice assessor. They are not responding to my greetings and not talking to me. Is it because of my colour and race or they do not want to teach students. Therefore, I was requested by the university to complete the evaluation form and to write how I were treated so that it could be discussed with the manager next time before sending other students on placement.

Most of the nurses like me and helped me and I think good nurses should be given opportunities to be the practice assessors and not the racists ones. We students we are on a learning journey and due to all this hatred and worst role models what are we learning. Is there another bodies where this kind of behaviour to be reported so that students are not ridiculed. At times student do the nurses job. On one placement the manager shouted at me on my 2nd day stating me to do service users admission and when I told her that I am not ready yet as I started yesterday and I would need a few more day to be competent. She shouted at me stating that other students learned the admission process in a day. I cried . Why students have to be bullied and degraded. She did this to me because they were short of staff and 2 more called sick. After a week I learned the admission process and worked as if I am their full time staff like headless chicken and lost 3 kgs, by the end of my 6 weeks placement. Something should be done so that students do not suffer on placements. Thanks
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
There's quit e bit in here to address.

Original post by Kayj7
As a 2nd year mental health nursing student I am not supported by my practice assessor. Every time I ask to look at my proficiencies to get them signed, she says later, and later goes by days, weeks and months.
Now I am on my 8th week on my placement and am left with only 1 week to complete every thing. What should I do? Should I inform the university about it?

Your first points of call are:
1) the ward manager or deputy ward manager
2) the placement PEF (practice education facilitator) team - every singe placement area has a team of these people, sometimes under a slightly different name, whose job it is to make sure that departments are supporting students properly in practice.
If you don't get appropriate support from these people, that's the point to go to the university.

Original post by Kayj7
I do not understand why many students on their placement are not supported by their practice assessors/ supervisors. Nurses are busy due to staff shortages and they do not have time to look after students.

You've just said exactly why mentors/practice assessors/supervisors aren't always able to fully support students.

Original post by Kayj7
I think there should be an agreement in place that practice assessors would spend at least 1 hour with the student every day to meet their learning needs, complete their proficiencies and the episode of care.

I'm a registered nurse and a practice assessor, and an hour every shift looking at student paperwork is excessive. A discussion of "what would you like to achieve today" takes 5 minutes and logging in later to sign a few proficiencies takes 5 minutes (so 10 mins a shift); a midway or final review realistically usually only takes 30-40 mins to complete and that includes looking at proficiencies achieved and an episode of care.
Spending time over the course of the day teaching students things relevant to the ward (e.g. on my ward, doing complex dressings, admitting/discharging patients, taking drains out) is something that ought to be done on every single shift.

Original post by Kayj7
At times the practice assessor would ask the student to fill in their part on the Epad and to sign it without even looking at it.

Absolutely not. If a student has filled sections in, we need to check it's correct before signing.

Original post by Kayj7
Otherwise, the university should be informed and not to send students on placement on a similar place like this.

Yes, it should be escalated that students are being abandoned and documents not being completed. To the ward manager, then PEFs, then university as per my answer to your first point.

Original post by Kayj7
My practice assessor does not care to look at my epad. So last Monday I escalated it to my Academic Assessor (from the uni) about not being supported on placement and have not met the deadlines. so she asked me to write an email to the practice assessor/ supervisor and cc to her. As soon as I did it other nurses came to support me. I think the manager was informed and she sent other nurse to support me with my epad and that very day most of my epad was done, things that were not done in 8 weeks were done in 2 hours.

Afterwards, the manager and the deputy asked me to join them in a meeting and they asked me why I informed an external body about your incomplete epad. We could do it and the deputy said next Friday I will help you complete all the bits and pieces. On your epad. They are not happy why I informed the university that I was not supported.

If you'd sent emails to the ward and spoken to the ward manager sooner, your documents would probably have been sorted earlier. They probably seemed unhappy because they could have helped you sort this, like they said to you!

Original post by Kayj7
From the safe side I should inform the university because if at the last moment my epad is not completed I might fail. So, after informing the university I am covered. But since I informed the university about the malpractice, I am hated by the manager, deputy and the practice assessor. They are not responding to my greetings and not talking to me. Is it because of my colour and race or they do not want to teach students. Therefore, I was requested by the university to complete the evaluation form and to write how I were treated so that it could be discussed with the manager next time before sending other students on placement.

You should inform the university that you have been having difficulty getting documents signed, yes.
What malpractice have you seen? You've only been complaining about having difficulty getting your practice assessor to sign your "epad" - that's certainly not malpractice.
You've already said it's a very busy, short staffed environment - I highly doubt that the manager, deputy manager and your PA/PS are going out of their way to ignore you. Your assessor already hasn't had time to sign things in 8 weeks - not through racism, but through lack of time.

Original post by Kayj7
Most of the nurses like me and helped me and I think good nurses should be given opportunities to be the practice assessors and not the racists ones. We students we are on a learning journey and due to all this hatred and worst role models what are we learning. Is there another bodies where this kind of behaviour to be reported so that students are not ridiculed.

The only "racist" thing you've said anyone has done is not sign your practice documents.
You can report it all you like... to the hospital/community setting, university, and the regulatory body.

Original post by Kayj7
At times student do the nurses job. On one placement the manager shouted at me on my 2nd day stating me to do service users admission and when I told her that I am not ready yet as I started yesterday and I would need a few more day to be competent. She shouted at me stating that other students learned the admission process in a day. I cried . Why students have to be bullied and degraded. She did this to me because they were short of staff and 2 more called sick. After a week I learned the admission process and worked as if I am their full time staff like headless chicken and lost 3 kgs, by the end of my 6 weeks placement. Something should be done so that students do not suffer on placements. Thanks

No, you shouldn't have staff shouting at you like that. You also shouldn't be losing weight through stress of a placement, either.
Original post by Kayj7

I do not understand why many students on their placement are not supported by their practice assessors/ supervisors. Nurses are busy due to staff shortages and they do not have time to look after students. I think there should be an agreement in place that practice assessors would spend at least 1 hour with the student every day to meet their learning needs, complete their proficiencies and the episode of care. At times the practice assessor would ask the student to fill in their part on the Epad and to sign it without even looking at it. Otherwise, the university should be informed and not to send students on placement on a similar place like this. My practice assessor does not care to look at my epad. So last Monday I escalated it to my Academic Assessor (from the uni) about not being supported on placement and have not met the deadlines. so she asked me to write an email to the practice assessor/ supervisor and cc to her. As soon as I did it other nurses came to support me. I think the manager was informed and she sent other nurse to support me with my epad and that very day most of my epad was done, things that were not done in 8 weeks were done in 2 hours.

Most of the nurses like me and helped me and I think good nurses should be given opportunities to be the practice assessors and not the racists ones. We students we are on a learning journey and due to all this hatred and worst role models what are we learning. Is there another bodies where this kind of behaviour to be reported so that students are not ridiculed. At times student do the nurses job. On one placement the manager shouted at me on my 2nd day stating me to do service users admission and when I told her that I am not ready yet as I started yesterday and I would need a few more day to be competent. She shouted at me stating that other students learned the admission process in a day. I cried . Why students have to be bullied and degraded. She did this to me because they were short of staff and 2 more called sick. After a week I learned the admission process and worked as if I am their full time staff like headless chicken and lost 3 kgs, by the end of my 6 weeks placement. Something should be done so that students do not suffer on placements. Thanks

Can you please help me I want to contact you coz m planning to get enrolled for foundation nursing associate degree can i speak to you regarding further information about practice assessors and all about the process

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending