The Student Room Group

Are all nursing schools this awful?

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the rant.

I'm a mental health nursing student, just started second year. I passed first year with no real issues, enjoyed the three placements for the most part, but even when things weren't great, just kept my head down and got on with it really, holding on to the idea that things would make a bit more sense in second year and naively, was looking forward to it. How wrong was I?

We've come back as second years to even more chaos. The school of nursing is an absolute farce and treats its students like crap. Zero support is offered, you are fobbed off with the most lacklustre and pointless replies to any query, and I have no idea how the academic staff can bang on about communication and professionalism when they can't even exercise it themselves.

The 2021 intake was the biggest they've ever had across all four nursing fields (almost 300 started), and they keep reminding us of this as if it's our fault when they're struggling with the sheer number of students. Even with a large number dropping out, they can't cope, but it's students taking the brunt of it. The MH cohort I'm in is pretty small, but they are struggling to find us placements at the moment. They released placements two weeks ago to the rest of the nursing students, but there are still a few of us without anything two weeks before placement. It seems that they've been so greedy with intakes that the health board itself doesn't have capacity. I've followed up with my PT, programme lead and the placements team, but just get the most pathetic, patronising replies of 'we're working with the health board.' I'm completely sick of it and that they can treat us as commodities bringing in the cash (which yes, we are), but not fulfilling their side of the agreement. I'm putting in a complaint to the head of school about the of lack placement allocation, with support from the SU, but I have a feeling it will make me very unpopular with certain staff there. They do like a good grudge and can make students' time there uncomfortable, in particular the directors. God knows what they were like as nurses.

Are all other nursing schools like this? It this just the reality of nurse training everywhere in the UK and I should suck it up? I've had a long career in publishing before finally making the move into nursing and working in healthcare, which I'd wanted to do for years, so am not lacking in life experience. I really don't want to give up the course, even though it's going to be a battle like this each time we get a placement allocated now and is mildly soul sapping.
Original post by swyn231
Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the rant.

I'm a mental health nursing student, just started second year. I passed first year with no real issues, enjoyed the three placements for the most part, but even when things weren't great, just kept my head down and got on with it really, holding on to the idea that things would make a bit more sense in second year and naively, was looking forward to it. How wrong was I?

We've come back as second years to even more chaos. The school of nursing is an absolute farce and treats its students like crap. Zero support is offered, you are fobbed off with the most lacklustre and pointless replies to any query, and I have no idea how the academic staff can bang on about communication and professionalism when they can't even exercise it themselves.

The 2021 intake was the biggest they've ever had across all four nursing fields (almost 300 started), and they keep reminding us of this as if it's our fault when they're struggling with the sheer number of students. Even with a large number dropping out, they can't cope, but it's students taking the brunt of it. The MH cohort I'm in is pretty small, but they are struggling to find us placements at the moment. They released placements two weeks ago to the rest of the nursing students, but there are still a few of us without anything two weeks before placement. It seems that they've been so greedy with intakes that the health board itself doesn't have capacity. I've followed up with my PT, programme lead and the placements team, but just get the most pathetic, patronising replies of 'we're working with the health board.' I'm completely sick of it and that they can treat us as commodities bringing in the cash (which yes, we are), but not fulfilling their side of the agreement. I'm putting in a complaint to the head of school about the of lack placement allocation, with support from the SU, but I have a feeling it will make me very unpopular with certain staff there. They do like a good grudge and can make students' time there uncomfortable, in particular the directors. God knows what they were like as nurses.

Are all other nursing schools like this? It this just the reality of nurse training everywhere in the UK and I should suck it up? I've had a long career in publishing before finally making the move into nursing and working in healthcare, which I'd wanted to do for years, so am not lacking in life experience. I really don't want to give up the course, even though it's going to be a battle like this each time we get a placement allocated now and is mildly soul sapping.

This is how it works with placements:
- there's only so many placements. Each placement area can only take so many students.
- when everything was purely bursary funded, the number of nursing students was equal to, or less than, the number of placements available. This meant that students were always guaranteed placements - there was only once when someone in my cohort wasn't allocated a placement when they were announced, and it was sorted in time for starting.
- since Covid, there are fewer placements able to or willing to take students. As a result, some places are swamped with students - the max on my ward used to be 6; it's now 12.
- universities are now taking on more students than there are placements available.

The shame of it is for students such as yourself is that 1) you're not getting the placements that you need and deserve, 2) it's not preparing you properly for life as a RN.

From a ward and practice assessor point of view, having to mentor/assess 2-3 students at the same time, or mentor/assessor students who have missed placements through no fault of their own, is as much hard work for us as it is for you students trying your best.
What uni is this ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending