The Student Room Group

Hate my degree

Really hate my degree!

I really can’t stand the placement aspect of my degree. I think I will love the actual role of a nurse when I qualify but no matter how hard I work I can’t seem to please my assessors. The last two I’ve had have been pretty tough and my last one almost made me quit but now my new assessor is just as bad and now I just want to quit. She wants me to work with her constantly but her shifts are mainly over weekends and I also think I’d benefit from working with other people but she won’t sign me off on anything if I don’t. She will give me my own patients then take over and then say she had to do referrals and stuff when no one has actually shown me how and I get constantly asked to do other things for other nurses and then I lose track of where I am with my patients, I have two young children at home one of which is sick quite a bit and all this negative feedback is just getting me to me. She said today she wouldn’t of booked a spike day for today because I hadn’t worked with her for a full shift, there’s been mix up with my off duty and I feel like I can’t stand up for myself in case I get negative feedback but I’m getting it anyway, even though my spoke placements and two previous placements have given me glowing feedback.

I just don’t know what to do, I turned my families life upside down to do this and now I feel like if it wasn’t for them I’d walk away and never look back.

Any advice?
Original post by LauraD1990
Really hate my degree!

I really can’t stand the placement aspect of my degree. I think I will love the actual role of a nurse when I qualify but no matter how hard I work I can’t seem to please my assessors. The last two I’ve had have been pretty tough and my last one almost made me quit but now my new assessor is just as bad and now I just want to quit. She wants me to work with her constantly but her shifts are mainly over weekends and I also think I’d benefit from working with other people but she won’t sign me off on anything if I don’t. She will give me my own patients then take over and then say she had to do referrals and stuff when no one has actually shown me how and I get constantly asked to do other things for other nurses and then I lose track of where I am with my patients, I have two young children at home one of which is sick quite a bit and all this negative feedback is just getting me to me. She said today she wouldn’t of booked a spike day for today because I hadn’t worked with her for a full shift, there’s been mix up with my off duty and I feel like I can’t stand up for myself in case I get negative feedback but I’m getting it anyway, even though my spoke placements and two previous placements have given me glowing feedback.

I just don’t know what to do, I turned my families life upside down to do this and now I feel like if it wasn’t for them I’d walk away and never look back.

Any advice?

Hi,

It sounds like you have a lot going on and its understandable you are struggling. Trying to do a degree by itself is hard enough but also raising children and having such a high demand for placements must be really hard, so please dont beat yourself up over this.

Unfortunately I'm not doing a nursing degree so I cant help you with specifics but I wonder if you can speak to your personal tutor? There is also the student support team that can help with all aspects of life and can give you specific help such as counselling, help with extensions, financial help etc. It might also be worth making sure you are communicating via email regarding your shifts etc, so you have a paper trail for any mix ups, that way you have covered yourself.

Ultimately whatever you decide to do, make sure your making the decisions for yourself, don't let one persons negative feedback put you off following your dreams.

Good luck :smile:

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep
Reply 2
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hi,

It sounds like you have a lot going on and its understandable you are struggling. Trying to do a degree by itself is hard enough but also raising children and having such a high demand for placements must be really hard, so please dont beat yourself up over this.

Unfortunately I'm not doing a nursing degree so I cant help you with specifics but I wonder if you can speak to your personal tutor? There is also the student support team that can help with all aspects of life and can give you specific help such as counselling, help with extensions, financial help etc. It might also be worth making sure you are communicating via email regarding your shifts etc, so you have a paper trail for any mix ups, that way you have covered yourself.

Ultimately whatever you decide to do, make sure your making the decisions for yourself, don't let one persons negative feedback put you off following your dreams.

Good luck :smile:

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Thank you for your reply, I had a really difficult last placement and now this. Just feel like I can’t do anything right. I emailed my personal tutor and academic assessor straight after the conversation I had with her.

we have been told at uni that we don’t need to work with our assessors and they can just have feedback from the people we have worked with. It’s so disheartening as I’ve wanted to do this degree since I was 16, I am now 33 and I’ve turned my families life upside down to do this degree, I’ve gotten proof my child has indeed been sick which is sad that I’ve had to do that.

it’s been pretty full on since may so I’m hoping that after a big break in practice from end of September I will feel better going into my second placement in march.

I want to qualify but placement is really taking it’s toll on me and I want to be assertive but don’t want to come across as rude or unprofessional. These people are in control of whether I pass my degree or not so it’s really stressful especially as it’s based on opinion.
Check if your uni has a staff member assigned as a clinical placement tutor, they would often be the main point of contact for these issues :smile:
Really hate my degree!

Any advice?

Hi
I get where you’re coming from, I am having the same problem, how far in to the course are you?
Really hate my degree!

Any advice?

Hi
I am having this very issue as well. How far are you in to the course?
Really hate my degree!

Any advice?

Hey there!

Current student nurse here.
I know how difficult it can be to have assessors and supervisors who berate you and make you feel inadequate. This isn't the placement experience you should be having. In regards to working weekends, unfortunately, when we sign up to student nurses, we sign up to be available for all types of shift patterns, but placement should be a little accommodating, especially since you have two young children.

If you have a Practice Education Facilitator (PEF), I strongly recommend that you have a chat with them about what's going on. You are there to learn and need consistency. If you don't have a nominated PEF, I recommend you go to the nominated staff member for placements at your university and let them know about your situation at home and also placement, as they may be able to put something in place to prevent what's happening.

I understand how frustrating it can be, and hope you get the support you need

Nat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending