The Student Room Group

Mentor problems on healthcare placement

Want to raise a concern about my mentor but I dont know how to do it. We have evaluations after each placement so I’m planning to give my feedback around that time.

During my placement, I have a formative and summative assessment where me and my mentor have to write about my progress, achievements and improvements. I have written my part already and discussed with them to get their approval which I got. However, the problem is that they want ME to write the formative and summative feedback in which they are supposed to do it themselves.

The mentor I work with is very lovely and patient with me. They also give me learning opportunities which I am very grateful for. However, it made me flabbergasted that I had to write their part about assessing me. I don’t think it’s fair for me as I have other things to worry about and it could possibly not be a true representation of my skills and practice. I would rather want them to write it as it’s their job and they could have a very different opinion but i’m troubled as I don’t know how to approach them, saying that I shouldn’t be the one doing it because I don’t want them to think bad of me as well as not cause any harm to our working relationship.

I want to talk about it with my practice facilitator in an anonymous way but I don’t know how to say it.

Could anyone help me please?
Reply 1
Original post by xlisax_02
Want to raise a concern about my mentor but I dont know how to do it. We have evaluations after each placement so I’m planning to give my feedback around that time.

During my placement, I have a formative and summative assessment where me and my mentor have to write about my progress, achievements and improvements. I have written my part already and discussed with them to get their approval which I got. However, the problem is that they want ME to write the formative and summative feedback in which they are supposed to do it themselves.

The mentor I work with is very lovely and patient with me. They also give me learning opportunities which I am very grateful for. However, it made me flabbergasted that I had to write their part about assessing me. I don’t think it’s fair for me as I have other things to worry about and it could possibly not be a true representation of my skills and practice. I would rather want them to write it as it’s their job and they could have a very different opinion but i’m troubled as I don’t know how to approach them, saying that I shouldn’t be the one doing it because I don’t want them to think bad of me as well as not cause any harm to our working relationship.

I want to talk about it with my practice facilitator in an anonymous way but I don’t know how to say it.

You best talking to your ward manager/sister about this first and if you aren't happy with outcome they give you then take it further with your places officer.
Unfortunately you can't do it annonymous because you have to bring it to a head and there's no point hiding from what you have been asked to do.

Yeah you are probably right about the true representation of yourself.

It's not your place to write about how you doing etc on placement when it is your mentor place to do okay.

That's one thing I will not do for any of my students I mentor/supervised is ask them to do the same thing as you are being asked to do. I rather write the truth about them myself and put what I think down in writing.

A NHS registered midwife
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
DO NOT WRITE THAT STUFF. ITS A STUDY ENDING NO NO, just explain to your mentor your not allowed to do that. if that does not work speak to thw ward manager. if that still does not work speak to the co-ordinator at the trust/ health board. try not to get to heavy straight off.
Reply 3

Registered nurse & practice assessor here.
The whole point of assessor feedback is that they not only give it but also write it (as it's their feedback) - this bit is definitely not for you to do.
Going to your mentor and explaining that they need to write the feedback shouldn't make them think bad of you, or harm your working relationship at all. You could speak to the PEF and just say "my mentor has given me verbal feedback for my formative and summative reviews but not written it down, she wants me to write it down, please can you help". HOWEVER.... you need to either speak to your mentor yourself, or let the PEF know it's you/who your mentor is, as it needs addressing with that specific mentor as your own mentor can easily ignore a non-specific message sent out to everyone & PEFs can't help much if they don't know exactly where the issue is.

Hi Lisa,

I would recommend you speak to your mentor in a private setting and calmly outline your concerns regarding this assignment. If a section is to be written by your mentor then they must do as otherwise it could lead to some complications when submitting your assignment.

If you don't get the correct response from your mentor then I would advise that you contact your ward student link or undergraduate practice facilitators and make them aware of the situation as it needs to be resolved for you to submit your assignment. Make them aware that you don't want any trouble for your mentor but that for your own academic and career progression this task has to be completed by your mentor.

I hope this is of some assistance to you and that you get this situation resolved as soon as possible.

Best of luck with your assignment!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd year Children's Nursing)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending