The Student Room Group

The Official Cambridge Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ariichu
Yea thats true, but he posted it in the undergrad forum, and also says hes got predicted A level grades, so he isnt a grad

To be fair, I’ve posted in both because I haven’t decided yet.
Reply 81
Original post by closetarchivist

That's a good point. I have done the same. Some people are still a bit unsure about which one to choose.
Reply 82

I think the issues was that he/she was lying though - 6 A-levels, 13 GCSEs, started a business etc. You’ve always had people posting on TSR with crazy results, maybe to intimidate others with lesser results, or for some other strange reason.

I know you are not lying though, and you are welcome to post on both the Oxford and Cambridge threads, until you come to the realisation that Cambridge is better, and you apply here 😀
Reply 83
Original post by lalexm
I think the issues was that he/she was lying though - 6 A-levels, 13 GCSEs, started a business etc. You’ve always had people posting on TSR with crazy results, maybe to intimidate others with lesser results, or for some other strange reason.

I know you are not lying though, and you are welcome to post on both the Oxford and Cambridge threads, until you come to the realisation that Cambridge is better, and you apply here 😀

On one hand I understand your comment, it is TSR. Some people troll for the sake of it.

However, we should also bear in mind that Oxbridge and Medicine attract particularly high achievers. Quite a lot of applicants take 3 sciences and maths when applying for Cambridge Medicine and Natural Sciences. In their case, they took a language (perhaps they were native speakers?) and further maths.

Plausible. The likelihood of it being true? Who knows, we will see.

I do agree with you, a lot of people try to intimidate others for no reason, it's very silly.

Why is Cambridge better? 👀👀👀
Original post by lalexm

I am really struggling to make a decision, so if you have any reason you could share as to why Cambridge is better I would certainly welcome it
Reply 85
I am really struggling to make a decision, so if you have any reason you could share as to why Cambridge is better I would certainly welcome it

Oxford has more of a small city buzz and Cambridge has more a county town feel and is more rural.Both are lovely but personally I prefer the 'something is always happening 'vibe at Oxford.Drill down into the courses as well.In terms of applying the Oxford experience is less stressful imo.

What subject are you thinking of applying for, and what do you think would be the key factors in deciding between the two? :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by Crow_M
On one hand I understand your comment, it is TSR. Some people troll for the sake of it.

However, we should also bear in mind that Oxbridge and Medicine attract particularly high achievers. Quite a lot of applicants take 3 sciences and maths when applying for Cambridge Medicine and Natural Sciences. In their case, they took a language (perhaps they were native speakers?) and further maths.

Plausible. The likelihood of it being true? Who knows, we will see.

I do agree with you, a lot of people try to intimidate others for no reason, it's very silly.

Why is Cambridge better? 👀👀👀

My daughter goes to Cambridge and absolutely loves it, but I’m sure there are thousands of students at Oxford that feel likewise, so that’s no real help. I personally think Cambridge is prettier and has more of a student feel, but like others have said, Oxford is bigger/livelier with more happening so I guess it’s down to personal preference.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
What subject are you thinking of applying for, and what do you think would be the key factors in deciding between the two? :smile:

History and French. Key factors would be which course gives me more ability to explore nicher areas of interest (like fashion history tied in with socio-cultural history) and also allows/encourages blending the two (getting to study french history in depth).

The other big thing is which is going to be more accommodating of my autism because there are specific access requirements I would need like access to a kitchen, rest breaks etc, and which would be more understanding of the fact that I don’t have 3 semesters worth of grades (half of year 9 + year 10)

So far I haven’t been able to find much in my research highlighting differences between the two in that area. Except for the fact that in the final year Cambridge students can do a dissertation and for some reason Oxford ones can’t (although they have a thesis and bridge essay so I’m not sure if that compares)

I would definitely recommend your first thing to look into is the course you are interested in applying to. Oxford and Cambridge don't offer all of the same courses (e.g. Cambridge's Natural Sciences course vs Oxford's individual Sciences courses). This may make it quite a straight forward decision for you if one of them doesn't offer the course you want to do. If both universities offer the course you are interested in (e.g. Geography) then you should have a deep dive into the modules and other things such as field trips/external talks/year abroad or in industry (for example) offered within each course and work out what you would want to experience while at university. Whilst doing this you should also look at the entry requirements; are you taking the correct subjects and predicted the grades required for your chosen course?

If you have the opportunity, you may benefit from visiting both cities. Whilst people can tell you what they love about each place, each person is different and will prefer different things. If you're able to attend Open Days you may find they help your decision making. if you're not able to visit in person there's likely talks/virtual tours available for you to get a little more information.

I hope this helps as somewhere to start!
Reply 90
1) English Lit, French, Sociology + EPQ
2) English
3) seven 9s and two 8s at GCSE
4) Course stood out to me a bit more - especially the tragedy paper.
5) (C)ELAT, I've done a little bit of practice but trying not to overwork myself.
6) mostly reading! i've also been taking part in access seminars from caius, and have done creative writing workshops. Trying to get an essay comp done too over the summer.
7) honestly no idea quite yet - maybe scriptwriting/show-running of some sort!
8) Murray Edwards
History and French. Key factors would be which course gives me more ability to explore nicher areas of interest (like fashion history tied in with socio-cultural history) and also allows/encourages blending the two (getting to study french history in depth).

The other big thing is which is going to be more accommodating of my autism because there are specific access requirements I would need like access to a kitchen, rest breaks etc, and which would be more understanding of the fact that I don’t have 3 semesters worth of grades (half of year 9 + year 10)

So far I haven’t been able to find much in my research highlighting differences between the two in that area. Except for the fact that in the final year Cambridge students can do a dissertation and for some reason Oxford ones can’t (although they have a thesis and bridge essay so I’m not sure if that compares)

Ok so...

On the point of your specific interests, it's worth looking into the research interests of the academics of each of the unis (and indeed at any other unis you are considering applying to). If there are academics interested in similar things to you, look at the modules/papers they teach, as very often (especially after first year) those interests will feed into their teaching and the subjects they cover. They'd also be in a good position to supervise a dissertation, were you to do one. Bear in mind of course that your interests may change as you begin the course however you do have to start a course for your interests to change, so there's a degree of luck involved!

On the languages side, I know the pure languages (MML) course at Oxford is somewhat more literature-heavy than the Cambridge one, though I can't really speak for how much impact that has on the history and modern languages course.

With regard to reasonable adjustments for autism it's probably quite hard to say one of the two is better than the other on this. It may actually be an idea to do things in a slightly unusual order here: have a look into the college(s) you might be interested in applying to (at both Cambridge and Oxford) and make contact with their admissions offices to discuss how things might work and what they can offer. You could potentially do the same with the relevant departments, but a lot of the day-to-day adjustments you require will be organised/coordinated by the college. The colleges are probably also best placed to comment on whether missing grades will be an issue (I assume from your phrasing that you're currently not in the UK education system?)

The reality is that the two cities and the two unis have a lot more in common than not probably the factors most commonly used to decide between them are your opinion on the details of the course and the vibes of the city.
Reply 92
Original post by Crow_M
That aside, which course are you applying for? It's still quite early so these threads aren't very active

Applying for natural sciences probably trinity hall
Reply 93
Original post by lalexm

Yea I dont think its possible for him to be doing 6 A levels if hes not at boarding school or smth. I do bio chem physics and maths, and whilst I do have way to much free time, it wouldnt be physically possible for the school to let me do a 5th A level (I checked when I started year 12) so I doubt that u can really do 6. The only way would really be if he was a native speaker like Crow_M said
Reply 94

I much prefer the natural sciences course to the individual science course at oxford, I also think that the town is nicer for me personally
Reply 95
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Ok so...

On the point of your specific interests, it's worth looking into the research interests of the academics of each of the unis (and indeed at any other unis you are considering applying to). If there are academics interested in similar things to you, look at the modules/papers they teach, as very often (especially after first year) those interests will feed into their teaching and the subjects they cover. They'd also be in a good position to supervise a dissertation, were you to do one. Bear in mind of course that your interests may change as you begin the course however you do have to start a course for your interests to change, so there's a degree of luck involved!

On the languages side, I know the pure languages (MML) course at Oxford is somewhat more literature-heavy than the Cambridge one, though I can't really speak for how much impact that has on the history and modern languages course.

With regard to reasonable adjustments for autism it's probably quite hard to say one of the two is better than the other on this. It may actually be an idea to do things in a slightly unusual order here: have a look into the college(s) you might be interested in applying to (at both Cambridge and Oxford) and make contact with their admissions offices to discuss how things might work and what they can offer. You could potentially do the same with the relevant departments, but a lot of the day-to-day adjustments you require will be organised/coordinated by the college. The colleges are probably also best placed to comment on whether missing grades will be an issue (I assume from your phrasing that you're currently not in the UK education system?)

The reality is that the two cities and the two unis have a lot more in common than not probably the factors most commonly used to decide between them are your opinion on the details of the course and the vibes of the city.

Good advice, especially the bit about the OP contacting the colleges regarding adjustment for additional needs, as they are the ones that deal with that. Also, the accommodation facilities vary by college, with some having mostly en suite, others having only very basic kitchens like Caius, and others having lots of their accommodation away from their main sites like most of the city centre colleges.
1) english literature, history, french, maths - predicted A*A*A*A (but i think i can bump my maths grade up in Y13 inshallah)
2) english!
3) 9999999998
4) i love the philosophy of the course if that makes sense - especially the tragedy paper w/ its huge scope and emphasis on being ambitiously comparative across historical periods and national literatures.
5) ELAT
6) reading (shocking!), lectures, won a fancy New York Times journalism prize for a piece of contemporary lit criticism i did
7) journalism or publishing or law or screenwriting. i'm indecisive oops
8) am visiting in early august so i'll decide then but i really like the look of trinity and it's not actually massively selective for english students. plus nabokov went there and they always do really well on university challenge :wink:

if you're applying for / are a student studying english at cambridge please let's be friends i'm international (in a british curriculum school) so my family is effectively clueless about the UK application process much less the oxbridge one, also my school is very stem-centred so it'll be nice to have someone in the same boat as me :smile:))
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by lalexm
The University of Cambridge 2024 Entry Thread

Cambridge.jpg

Parents, you are free to comment on this thread to provide words of encouragement to the applicants, but you also have your own thread for parental debates -> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7212699

It never hurts to get ahead of the game when thinking about the future, and in particular - Cambridge Applications!
REMEMBER THOUGH: Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

Here are a few suggested opening questions, but ask whatever you want regarding Cambridge.

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE?
4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?

1) Maths, Economics, Geography and Government and Politics
2) Land Economy - I originally wanted to do economics but after going to a taster lecture land ec appealed to me more
3) I got twelve 9’s and one 8
4) I don’t really have a reason I’ve just always wanted to go Cambridge
5) As far as I’m aware there are no admissions test anymore for Land Economy - the head of department told me they were dropping the TSA requirements
6) I’m not sure about lockdown since i’m answering this in 2023 but for super curriculars I’ve read a handful of books, done a master class, JP Morgan work experience, HSBC work experience, gone to public lectures at LSE and listened to podcasts. In terms of extracurriculars; I’ve been volunteering at a local food bank since I was 13, I play basketball and I danced until a few months ago.
7) I have absolutely no clue what I want to do, I know that I’ll go on to get a masters but after that I do not know.
8) I am deciding between Downing, Newnham and St John’s. Leaning towards Downing though.

Best of luck to everyone applying!
Reply 98
Original post by Anonymous
1) Maths, Economics, Geography and Government and Politics
2) Land Economy - I originally wanted to do economics but after going to a taster lecture land ec appealed to me more
3) I got twelve 9’s and one 8
4) I don’t really have a reason I’ve just always wanted to go Cambridge
5) As far as I’m aware there are no admissions test anymore for Land Economy - the head of department told me they were dropping the TSA requirements
6) I’m not sure about lockdown since i’m answering this in 2023 but for super curriculars I’ve read a handful of books, done a master class, JP Morgan work experience, HSBC work experience, gone to public lectures at LSE and listened to podcasts. In terms of extracurriculars; I’ve been volunteering at a local food bank since I was 13, I play basketball and I danced until a few months ago.
7) I have absolutely no clue what I want to do, I know that I’ll go on to get a masters but after that I do not know.
8) I am deciding between Downing, Newnham and St John’s. Leaning towards Downing though.

Best of luck to everyone applying!

Downings is lovely. Stunning buildings, lots of open spaces, great location, but not right on kings parade, so fewer tourists. Daughter has some friends that go there, and they love it.
Original post by lalexm
Downings is lovely. Stunning buildings, lots of open spaces, great location, but not right on kings parade, so fewer tourists. Daughter has some friends that go there, and they love it.

Yeah that is why I’m leaning towards it. I went on the open day and it was stunning and all the people there were so lovely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending