The Student Room Group

Medicine

I'm a student in year 11 doing gcses and they have been going quite well i think i have got around 6s to 9s in every subject so far however i was wondering whether in the future for university i would get into medicine even if i get grade 6s and i know that work experience a levels and ucats come into play however i was just wondering what the consequences of getting 6s would have on me getting into medicine.
Reply 1
It depends on the subjects in which you receive a 6. Usually, med schools are most concerned about biology, chemistry, English, and math.
Although, if you do get a lower grade in English you can always complete a language exam such as the TOEFL or IELTS, so I would say your concern is with the other three.

Of course, if the rest of your application looks impressive you'll have nothing to worry about, but considering how competitive medicine is, you should try your best to keep those subjects as high as possible.
Reply 2
i think i will get 7s or above in english and all sciences but the best i can do in maths is a 6 (Original post by user23184)It depends on the subjects in which you receive a 6. Usually, med schools are most concerned about biology, chemistry, English, and math.
Although, if you do get a lower grade in English you can always complete a language exam such as the TOEFL or IELTS, so I would say your concern is with the other three.

Of course, if the rest of your application looks impressive you'll have nothing to worry about, but considering how competitive medicine is, you should try your best to keep those subjects as high as possible.

i think i will get 7s or above in english and all sciences but the best i can do in maths is a 6
Reply 3
Original post by anon2911
i think i will get 7s or above in english and all sciences but the best i can do in maths is a 6 (Original post by user23184)It depends on the subjects in which you receive a 6. Usually, med schools are most concerned about biology, chemistry, English, and math.

i think i will get 7s or above in english and all sciences but the best i can do in maths is a 6

i've got offers for medicine, and from my experience its all down to which uni you apply to. Some as long as you meet the minimum requirement thats it for GCSEs although they will go harder on other parts of you application, others they value GCSEs quite a lot so its all quite dependent
Reply 4
i agree with the above user - it really depends on the uni you apply to. of course you very much need a nice set of grades but some will put less on importance on it than others and this is the part you need to do some research on. i've heard that exeter and glasgow are less gcse heavy?

i'd say if you get at least a 7 in maths, you'd be more than fine but ofc i'm not the best person to ask its just what i've gathered from others so just try to get to that grade. some resources that helped me were cognito, maths genie and the gcse maths tutor website - these websites sort the questions by which grade aligns with it
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by anon2911

Your grades look great! I agree with the previous two posts that although universities do consider grades, they do not necessarily make or break your application. Of course, keep in mind the overall average grade from all applicants that year determined the threshold, so its hard to predict it beforehand. As long as you apply to the right universities you'll be fine, and of course keep in mind that (if you choose) you can always apply for medicine in Europe, as they have entrance exams and don't look at your grades.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest