The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Computer Science Paper 1 (H446/01) - 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mel_19
9 markers on the as paper 1 this year were magnetic vs flash storage for storing video and peer-to-peer vs client-server networks, so safe to say we wont get big questions on those topics

i feel like OOP or Application generations may come up in relation to methodologies such as agile or RAD
Original post by Mahin.u
i feel like OOP or Application generations may come up in relation to methodologies such as agile or RAD

last years big markers where on application generation so i dont think it will come up as long markers this year
Reply 22
Do you think this paper will be hard like the OCR GCSE paper, since the exam papers get made months in advance and I don't think they would have had enough time to change it?
Reply 23
I somehow have no idea how to code so this sounds like it's gonna be fun. just have no idea how to pseudocode the searching algorithms and manipulating lists
teacher recommended Point Impact Consequence format for answering 9 markers. What format/structure can be used for 12 markers? or is the same applicable?
Reply 25
Can someone send me a powerpoint or a doc summary of the paper 1 topics? Need something to jog my memory
Reply 26
Original post by Mo123412
It's not looking good for u i can't lie as this is a fundamental

oh i know its not , i never had the grades to be on this course and then we didn't have a teacher almost all of first year lol
Original post by gogetter2k19
last years big markers where on application generation so i dont think it will come up as long markers

Do you have access to the 2022 papers? Also what do you think will come up as the big markers this year?
no big O notation should come up on this paper right
Reply 29
Original post by Mahin.u
anyone got key points and tips for normalisation of numbers (floating point binary etc.) and for twos complement and sign and mag

Sign and Magnitude is converting the denary to its positive binary form, then changing the most significant bit to a 1, to show its negative.

Two's Compliment is slightly different. Write out the positive binary form, and rewrite it the same up to and including the first 1 from right to left. Then from this point, swap the rest of the digits to their reverse - 1s become 0s, and 0s become 1s.

To be fully normalised, the starting 2 binary digits will be 01 for positive, or 10 for negative. So you want to move the binary point this many times to get this start, of which the number of jumps of the point determines your exponent. Normalisation is for two's complement binary numbers.

Hope this helps
Reply 30
Original post by Mahin.u
anyone got key points and tips for normalisation of numbers (floating point binary etc.) and for twos complement and sign and mag

Basically get your numbers up on let's say the top line yk 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1 . 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16
And then whatever number they give you, put them down. once you've got them down. write the Mantissa down and count how many numbers down the decimal point is from the 1st number. Whatever number that is will be your exponent.
Oh and make sure if your number starts with let's say two 0's or two 1's you normalise and remove one.

Not too great at explaining two's complement but if the number is negative then 128 is gonna be -128 and then you add on the numbers until you have the number you need
For Sign and magnitude, the first number acts as a + / - and then you just add as normal. Craig and Dave on youtube might have good videos on it
Reply 31
Original post by hhhhheeeee
no big O notation should come up on this paper right

Yeah Space and Time complexities come up on Paper 2
Original post by mokord
Yeah Space and Time complexities come up on Paper 2

okk thank you 🤞
Reply 33
Any hot topics for the 9 markers that can come up according to the past papers patterns?

Original post by hhhhheeeee
okk thank you 🤞
Original post by Sanchez110
Any hot topics for the 9 markers that can come up according to the past papers patterns?

Defo one on the legal and ethical chapter, hopefully none on software methodologies, those are bare confusing
Original post by Sanchez110

OOP, HTML AND CSS Stages of Compilation, Storage, Client VS Server Side, JavaScript, Components of a CPU, ISR Routine
Not gonna lie if you don't know a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to 9 and 12 markers you will fail this exam. Theres usually 2-3 9 markers and one 12 marker the rest are smaller marks. If you manage to Ace these big markers thats 39 Marks already secured at max, thats 15 marks away from securing a C grade according to 2022 Grade boundaries. Not tryna scare you tho lol.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by BigManBenjamin
OOP, HTML AND CSS Stages of Compilation, Storage, Client VS Server Side, JavaScript, Components of a CPU, ISR Routine
Not gonna lie if you don't know a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to 9 and 12 markers you will fail this exam. Theres usually 2-3 9 markers and one 12 marker the rest are smaller marks. If you manage to Ace these big markers thats 39 Marks already secured at max, thats 15 marks away from securing a C grade according to 2022 Grade boundaries. Not tryna scare you tho lol.

There are never more than three 9/12 markers in a paper, with the possibility of having one 12 marker and two 9 markers or just three 9 markers.
Original post by Kingemperor07
There are never more than three 9/12 markers in a paper, with the possibility of having one 12 marker and two 9 markers or just three 9 markers.

There has been 3 9 Markers in 2017 paper. There is always gonna be one 12 marker or two 9 markers though thats guarenteed.
Original post by Mahin.u

bro look up website called bag of cows and just do lots of prctice questions, jus t remember when normalising fp closest 10 if negative and 01 if positive
Can someone go over this question and tell me what they did to get the correct answer, as I don't understand the process. Question from last year's paperScreenshot 2023-06-11 181400.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending