The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Computer Science Paper 1 (H446/01) - 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

(Original post by genghiskhan2)Can someone go over this question and tell me what they did to get the correct answer, as I don't understand the process. Question from last year's paperScreenshot 2023-06-11 181400.pngsame I did that question today but I still don’t get it
9F6E7C52-B642-4F1C-AF26-A869963A2A5E.jpegcould you help me with this question. I don’t get it
Reply 42
Original post by unknown7861
9F6E7C52-B642-4F1C-AF26-A869963A2A5E.jpegcould you help me with this question. I don’t get it

exponent is -2
therefore you move the dot 2 places to the left
since it starts with a 1, fill the front with two 1s
this gives you 1.11010, which is -0.1875
Original post by damarfm
exponent is -2
therefore you move the dot 2 places to the left
since it starts with a 1, fill the front with two 1s
this gives you 1.11010, which is -0.1875

How’s the exponent 2 when it’s 1110 . Could you write it on a piece of papers and take a pic. So I can see the steps
Reply 44
well the most significant bit is -8
therefore an exponent of 1110 gives you -8+4+2 which is -2 not positive 2
So once it’s -2 you move the exponent two places to the left but where from and how is 1.11010 -0.1875
So once it’s -2 you move the exponent two places to the left but where from and how is 1.11010 -0.1875

Bros failing
Reply 47
Original post by genghiskhan2
Can someone go over this question and tell me what they did to get the correct answer, as I don't understand the process. Question from last year's paperScreenshot 2023-06-11 181400.png

well you start with 10, it does not give you a bonus as the program only branches when input-100 is positive or zero
10-100 is clearly not positive nor zero, therefore you store it as total and outputting total is 10.
The program keeps running, you input 50, 50-100 is not positive, therefore still no bonus, this time total is already 10 from the previous input, therefore the new total is now 10 plus 50 which is 60, therefore 60 is printed for the input of 50
the program keeps running, 120 is inputted, 120-100 is now positive, therefore there is a bonus. Load total which is 60, add the input of 120 which gets you 180 and add the bonus twenty which gets you 200.
Therefore the answers are 10,60 and 200.
Reply 48

well when the exponent is negative and you need to move the binary point to the left, you pad the number with leading 1s or 0s, depending on the first value. In this case the first value is 1, therefore you add two 1s to the front.
This gets you 1.11010 and the denary equivalent is -0.1875
Reply 49
Original post by BigManBenjamin
OOP, HTML AND CSS Stages of Compilation, Storage, Client VS Server Side, JavaScript, Components of a CPU, ISR Routine
Not gonna lie if you don't know a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to 9 and 12 markers you will fail this exam. Theres usually 2-3 9 markers and one 12 marker the rest are smaller marks. If you manage to Ace these big markers thats 39 Marks already secured at max, thats 15 marks away from securing a C grade according to 2022 Grade boundaries. Not tryna scare you tho lol.

An essay question on solely JavaScript?
Can someone please send me 2022 paper 1 and mark scheme, I have ran out of past papers to do
How do you change 1.11010 To denary
Original post by BigManBenjamin
You have to be trolling, You are goijng to fail this exam.

In 2019, 61% of people got a C or below in CS so yeah it’s looking like he’s a part of that
Reply 53
How do you change 1.11010 To denary

convert the number into a positive so keep the righest 1 and and change the binary to the left of it to the opposites so 0 would become 1 and 1 becomes 0 to get 0.0011 which would be 0.125 and 0.0625 which you add up and that is the negative number -0.01875
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by dy.7
An essay question on solely JavaScript?

That would be really aids but I feel like most people would get very little marks so maybe would be quiet nice
can anyone make a pseudo code for this question? :

Two people play a counting game. The rules of the game are as follows:
The first player starts at 1
Each player may choose one, two or three numbers on their turn and the numbers must be
in ascending order
Players take it in turns to choose
The player who chooses “15” loses the game.
For example, if the first player chooses three numbers (1, 2, 3) then the second player could
choose one number (4), two numbers (4, 5) or three numbers (4, 5, 6). The first player then takes
another go.
Write an algorithm using pseudocode that allows two players to play this game. The algorithm
should:
Alternate between player 1 and player 2
Ask the player how many numbers they would like to choose, ensuring that this is between 1
and 3
Display the numbers that the player has chosen
Display a suitable message to say which player has won once the number 15 has been
displayed.
Original post by gogetter2k19

Each player may choose one, two or three numbers on their turn and the numbers must be
in ascending order
For example, if the first player chooses three numbers (1, 2, 3) then the second player could
choose one number (4), two numbers (4, 5) or three numbers (4, 5, 6). The first player then takes
another go.
Write an algorithm using pseudocode that allows two players to play this game. The algorithm
should:
Ask the player how many numbers they would like to choose, ensuring that this is between 1
and 3
Display a suitable message to say which player has won once the number 15 has been
displayed.

Bro I remember this from a past paper this or smth similar Will defo not come up so I wouldn’t worry about it, however I think I remember watching a ytube video and the guy explained it rlly well, just look up the paper it was In then watch a walkthrough on that paper
Original post by oil24244224
Bro I remember this from a past paper this or smth similar Will defo not come up so I wouldn’t worry about it, however I think I remember watching a ytube video and the guy explained it rlly well, just look up the paper it was In then watch a walkthrough on that paper

Was in the 2020 paper I think proably wont come up again, If you can do basic psuedocode your good, some might find it hard to figure out how to swap the players turns though.
I thought of a potential 9-12 marker, let me know what else you guys would add and let me know if i said anything wrong:

compare the use of declarative and imperative languages including advantages and drawbacks

define declarative : defines the problem and lets the programming language solve it using the conditions set by the user, the process is abstracted from the programmer, an example of declarative is SQL

define imperative : the programmer defines the exact steps to fix a problem, an example is python

PRO OF IMPERATIVE:
+ programmer has more control of the program
+programmer can make use of programming paradigms and use libraries which saves time and increases efficiency of programming

CON OF IMPERATIVE:
- however programmer has more work to do as they have to define the exact steps, which can be time consuming
- higher risk of logical error when programming, since the programmer can make mistakes during the logic of the program
- more lines of code which can increase the size required (maybe true let me know if im wrong)

PRO OF DECLARATIVE
+ programmer has less work to do as they only need to define conditions and the problem
+less likely hood of logical errors in the program as the programming language takes care of the exact steps to fix the problem
+ can perform more functions with less lines of code saves memory space

CONS OF IMPERATIVE
- programmer has less control of the solution to the problem

let me know if you will add any more or change anything
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by gogetter2k19

in ascending order
another go.
should:
and 3
displayed.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 201534.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending