The Student Room Group

unsure on whether to apply for special consideration

I had my english paper 1 today and though I have a separate room due to using a word processor in my exams, there were some GCSE students sitting their exams in the room with me. I wouldn’t mind this normally, but a girl was sat directly next to me (which I’m pretty sure isn’t permitted?!) and I assume she had tourettes. Through the whole exam she was pushing my paper around the desk (the way the room was laid out, all the desks are connected so she could easily access my paper), staring directly at me for minutes at a time, speaking to herself at a considerable volume and throwing her arms around the place as well as giving me rude hand gestures multiple times. Generally it was really really distracting during an already quite difficult exam and I feel really crappy coming out of the exam.

Is this even something I can apply for special consideration for? And would I be likely to succeed?
Reply 1
Original post by rwnsl
I had my english paper 1 today and though I have a separate room due to using a word processor in my exams, there were some GCSE students sitting their exams in the room with me. I wouldn’t mind this normally, but a girl was sat directly next to me (which I’m pretty sure isn’t permitted?!) and I assume she had tourettes. Through the whole exam she was pushing my paper around the desk (the way the room was laid out, all the desks are connected so she could easily access my paper), staring directly at me for minutes at a time, speaking to herself at a considerable volume and throwing her arms around the place as well as giving me rude hand gestures multiple times. Generally it was really really distracting during an already quite difficult exam and I feel really crappy coming out of the exam.

Is this even something I can apply for special consideration for? And would I be likely to succeed?

Did you speak to the invigilator? Only your school can apply - write all this down - I'm amazed no action was taken during the exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Did you speak to the invigilator? Only your school can apply - write all this down - I'm amazed no action was taken during the exam.

I didn’t speak to the invigilator as I’ve never had this happen so wasn’t 100% sure what to do and was honestly just exhausted after a 4h exam but emailed my tutor right afterwards. No action was taken during the exam but if I’m honest the invigilators at my college aren’t known for being the most attentive 😅

I’ve explained the whole situation via email to my tutor who is usually very good about this kind of thing and another student also happened to contact as she was also disrupted by the student next to me, so hopefully with both of us having said something the college will be able to apply for special consideration or at least look into it!
Reply 3
Original post by rwnsl
I didn’t speak to the invigilator as I’ve never had this happen so wasn’t 100% sure what to do and was honestly just exhausted after a 4h exam but emailed my tutor right afterwards. No action was taken during the exam but if I’m honest the invigilators at my college aren’t known for being the most attentive 😅

I’ve explained the whole situation via email to my tutor who is usually very good about this kind of thing and another student also happened to contact as she was also disrupted by the student next to me, so hopefully with both of us having said something the college will be able to apply for special consideration or at least look into it!

It sounds awful to me ... hope the do something. Put your hand up if this happens again ...

Quick Reply

Latest