The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Will I be considered for 1st year entry if I fail 2nd year entry requirements?

I'm wanting to apply for a maths degree in Scotland, unsure whether I want to pursue a Masters/PhD but I assume I can always make that decision after I'd get the BSc.

I got AAAAB at higher (HumBio, Maths, Physics, Chemistry at A, English at B) so I think I'd have a pretty good chance for first year entry at most unis.

However, I'm considering second year entry because I think I'd prefer to cut down the time I spend at uni and I'd enjoy the difficulty.

If all my UCAS entry choices are for 2nd year entry, and I fail the AH entry requirements, will I then be automatically considered for 1st year entry, or does that need a separate UCAS choice?

If it's relevant, University of Stirling will probably be my first choice which requires ABBB/AABB at higher (by end of S5/S6 respectively) for first year entry, and ABB at advanced higher for second year entry.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by LuminescentStorm
I'm wanting to apply for a maths degree in Scotland, unsure whether I want to pursue a Masters/PhD but I assume I can always make that decision after I'd get the BSc.

I got AAAAB at higher (HumBio, Maths, Physics, Chemistry at A, English at B) so I think I'd have a pretty good chance for first year entry at most unis.

However, I'm considering second year entry because I think I'd prefer to cut down the time I spend at uni and I'd enjoy the difficulty.

If all my UCAS entry choices are for 2nd year entry, and I fail the AH entry requirements, will I then be automatically considered for 1st year entry, or does that need a separate UCAS choice?

If it's relevant, University of Stirling will probably be my first choice which requires ABBB/AABB at higher (by end of S5/S6 respectively) for first year entry, and ABB at advanced higher for second year entry.

Yes but check each uni you applied to
‘Consideration for first-year entry
If you have applied for second-year entry but you do not hold the necessary entry qualifications, your application will automatically be considered for first-year entry. This does not guarantee that you will receive an offer for first-year entry.’
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applying/making-an-application/second-year
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Quick Reply

Latest