The Student Room Group

Does a native language affect my medicine application at university?

I'm a lower sixth student who's currently studying Bio Chem And French, I took Core maths as an AS as well which I have just done finals for.

I'm struggling with French and I'm thinking of dropping it if possible, if not that's a different story.

I'm stable with the sciences and my current theorised predicted grades from my progress report so far are AAC, the C grade is in french, so I find the sciences a bit easier than the langauge.

I'm Italian, so Italian is my native langauge, I can understand, read, write and speak fluently. I got a 9 in GCSE on it so I'm pretty good at it, so if I dropped French, I'd pick Italian to help me out since I'd rather get three As than two As at the sciences and a C or a D in french. :/

My question is if the universities will view it as lazy and disregard it by not considering it as an A-level because its my native langauge, when medicine is all about challenging yourself etc.

I'm applying to :

University of Manchester
University of Liverpool
University of Leeds
University of Birmingham
University of Sheffield as a back up.

Some of these are competitive universities and Manchester is my top priority since its closest to me. But they're very well known and have many first classes so they're competitive. And I'm afraid if I pick Italian it won't be looked at well.

Please help 😭 I'd like any information or anything at all!
Reply 1
Original post by zion.
I'm a lower sixth student who's currently studying Bio Chem And French, I took Core maths as an AS as well which I have just done finals for.

I'm struggling with French and I'm thinking of dropping it if possible, if not that's a different story.

I'm stable with the sciences and my current theorised predicted grades from my progress report so far are AAC, the C grade is in french, so I find the sciences a bit easier than the langauge.

I'm Italian, so Italian is my native langauge, I can understand, read, write and speak fluently. I got a 9 in GCSE on it so I'm pretty good at it, so if I dropped French, I'd pick Italian to help me out since I'd rather get three As than two As at the sciences and a C or a D in french. :/

My question is if the universities will view it as lazy and disregard it by not considering it as an A-level because its my native langauge, when medicine is all about challenging yourself etc.

I'm applying to :

University of Manchester
University of Liverpool
University of Leeds
University of Birmingham
University of Sheffield as a back up.

Some of these are competitive universities and Manchester is my top priority since its closest to me. But they're very well known and have many first classes so they're competitive. And I'm afraid if I pick Italian it won't be looked at well.

Please help 😭 I'd like any information or anything at all!

First off, do not pick any choices until you have your admissions test scores, as you have chosen some high UCAT requirers and if you do not achieve a high score, it is a wasted option.
Some med schools will not accept an A level in a language of which you are a native speaker, or require a higher grade, so I would check websites carefully and if not clear, contact them to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending