The Student Room Group

I achieved 45 Distinctions in an Access course with the DistanceLearningCentre. AMA!

I recently completed an Access to HE Diploma in Medicine with the DistanceLearningCentre where my final grades were D45 M0 P0. I'm now going on to study BSc at Warwick uni.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'm more than happy to answer them! :smile:

I will also be writing a review of the DLC soon and I may possibly record a Youtube video highlighting my experience doing an Access to HE diploma/how I coped with the assignments/exams and scored the top grades etc.
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Did u want to apply to Medicine?
Reply 2
Original post by AmarRPM
I recently completed an Access to HE Diploma in Medicine with the DistanceLearningCentre where my final grades were D45 M0 P0. I'm now going on to study BSc Neuroscience at Warwick uni.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'm more than happy to answer them! :smile:

I will also be writing a review of the DLC soon and I may possibly record a Youtube video highlighting my experience doing an Access to HE diploma/how I coped with the assignments/exams and scored the top grades etc.

Did you feel you had adequate support?
I did an Access to Science and Health and achieved 45 distinctions but that was 10 year ago so university want current qualifications? I'm currently not in the position to reduce my working hours so I am considering online access courses
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Did u want to apply to Medicine?

I didn't have the intention of applying for medicine - initially I was going to study Access to HE science for entry for neuroscience, however as the medicine access course had lots of chem/bio modules I opted for that course instead as several universities that I had contacted told me that doing more chem/bio modules would put me at an advantage.

Original post by Tw1x
Did you feel you had adequate support?
I did an Access to Science and Health and achieved 45 distinctions but that was 10 year ago so university want current qualifications? I'm currently not in the position to reduce my working hours so I am considering online access courses

To be honest I only really used 1-to-1 tutorials to help understand the requirements of certain questions. In terms of learning/understanding the course content I basically just self taught using the provided reading materials, websites online, youtube, online textbooks and second hand A level textbooks/university level textbooks that I bought.

I would highly recommend using an online provider though as you won't be under too much pressure to meet deadlines - you can extend deadlines if you need more time and it won't affect your grade.
How did you get such good grades btw congrats!! What are your top revision tips and how did you balance work and your education
Reply 5
Original post by Amillion
How did you get such good grades btw congrats!! What are your top revision tips and how did you balance work and your education

When answering questions try and make your answers concise and detailed with enough breadth and depth, use a range of sources (textbooks, online textbooks, websites etc) and just be as thorough as possible in order to score as many marks as possible. Using the grading criteria as a checklist also really helps.

To be honest working full time is very difficult whilst completing an access course but it is doable, I used to get home from work at around 6pm and study until about 11pm during a working day and on my days off work I would wake up early and just work throughout the day. Minimising distractions in my workspace definitely helped with my level of productivity.

I am going to probably make a detailed video on my approach to the course soon to be honest :smile:
Thank you!! Send the link to your youtube
Any useful websites that helped you please ?
Congratulations 🎉
What are the assignments like? I also heard that they do mini exams over Skype, is that true?

-A person who's looking into enrolling
Reply 9
Original post by Brrrrrrrrrr6
What are the assignments like? I also heard that they do mini exams over Skype, is that true?

-A person who's looking into enrolling

The assignments generally consist of long answer questions, each with a specified recommended word count. To get the top grades you need to be hitting the specified criteria points in your answers and you also need to include enough breadth/depth/detail in your answers.

The maximum word count for a 6 credit assignment is 2750 and the maximum word count for a 3 credit unit is 1650.

I did complete a few exams over skype, the exams are usually quite straightforward and only usually cover between 1-3 different topics. Usually you'll be given a sample exam with questions and worked answers beforehand as a resource that you can use for your revision - the exam itself is generally always very similar to this resource so it is very useful to use.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AmarRPM
I recently completed an Access to HE Diploma in Medicine with the DistanceLearningCentre where my final grades were D45 M0 P0. I'm now going on to study BSc Neuroscience at Warwick uni.

Why did you choose an Access course over A levels? Was it practical considerations, such as cost, time, availability etc?
Original post by AmarRPM
The assignments generally consist of long answer questions, each with a specified recommended word count. To get the top grades you need to be hitting the specified criteria points in your answers and you also need to include enough breadth/depth/detail in your answers.

The maximum word count for a 6 credit assignment is 2750 and the maximum word count for a 3 credit unit is 1650.

I did complete a few exams over skype, the exams are usually quite straightforward and only usually cover between 1-3 different topics. Usually you'll be given a sample exam with questions and worked answers beforehand as a resource that you can use for your revision - the exam itself is generally always very similar to this resource so it is very useful to use.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

You're amazing thank you for clearing things up for me! :five:

Also is there some sort of specification like gcse and a levels or does it differ? I heard that there isn't really a spec and it depends on the provider but i don't know how true that is. The website does go over the topics but im the paranoid type and I prefer things to be detailed :creep:

Also congrats! I'm planning to do science too
Reply 12
Original post by Brrrrrrrrrr6
You're amazing thank you for clearing things up for me! :five:

Also is there some sort of specification like gcse and a levels or does it differ? I heard that there isn't really a spec and it depends on the provider but i don't know how true that is. The website does go over the topics but im the paranoid type and I prefer things to be detailed :creep:

Also congrats! I'm planning to do science too

No worries at all :smile:

With the DistanceLearningCentre you are given grading criteria and assessment criteria for each assessment/exam which helps immensely and essentially acts as a specification, similar to GCSE and A Level. I often used it as a checklist to ensure that I had included all required points with enough breadth/depth in my assignments. If I wasn't too sure on any bits in a particular assignment I would often make notes on any given questions/my answers and just whizz through a tutorial with my personal tutor to go over these parts.
Reply 13
Original post by Um Mishkah
Any useful websites that helped you please ?
Congratulations 🎉

Youtube was pretty much my saviour for covering a lot of the course content, it really helped me understand any topics that I couldn't wrap my head around when learning content from textbooks.

I often googled specific topics and opened the first 10-15 links in multiple tabs and then went through each tab one by one to build an understanding of the topics, making notes from websites/textbooks also really helps.

+ Thanks :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Reality Check
Why did you choose an Access course over A levels? Was it practical considerations, such as cost, time, availability etc?

Pretty much - the access course just seemed to suit my schedule far better than A levels would have, I also liked the structure of the access course (completing a module in its entirety, then moving onto the next module). I also feel as though self studying A levels would have been costly to enter for the practical endorsements/exams and quite difficult due to a lack of resources.
Hi, congratulations for your amazing results!!
I will be starting Access to Medicine next year and I want to get into Medicine. As you know, for getting into Medicine requires 45D in chemistry and biology. So I need to study harder in these two subjects. Do you think "A-levels" chemistry and biology textbooks will help me for self-study? Should I follow "AQA" or "OCR" textbooks? And could you please give your video links? Thank you. And good luck for the future...👍🏻👍🏻

Original post by AmarRPM
When answering questions try and make your answers concise and detailed with enough breadth and depth, use a range of sources (textbooks, online textbooks, websites etc) and just be as thorough as possible in order to score as many marks as possible. Using the grading criteria as a checklist also really helps.

To be honest working full time is very difficult whilst completing an access course but it is doable, I used to get home from work at around 6pm and study until about 11pm during a working day and on my days off work I would wake up early and just work throughout the day. Minimising distractions in my workspace definitely helped with my level of productivity.

I am going to probably make a detailed video on my approach to the course soon to be honest :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Superlady26
Hi, congratulations for your amazing results!!
I will be starting Access to Medicine next year and I want to get into Medicine. As you know, for getting into Medicine requires 45D in chemistry and biology. So I need to study harder in these two subjects. Do you think "A-levels" chemistry and biology textbooks will help me for self-study? Should I follow "AQA" or "OCR" textbooks? And could you please give your video links? Thank you. And good luck for the future...👍🏻👍🏻

Hi,

A level textbooks will help you immensely. I would recommend using multiple A level textbooks and collating information from each textbook - so for example, if you were writing about the Krebs Cycle, use 5-10 A level textbooks and then extract the key information for this topic from each textbook, collate it all together and put it into your own words to ensure that you have included enough breadth and depth in your answer to get the top grades. Also make use of websites (just by doing a google search) Youtube videos, etc in order to include more detail in your answers.

You can get second hand A level textbooks online for quite cheap, also if you REALLY don't understand a topic you could get an online tutor to help you out/proofread your answers, I found chemistry pretty difficult so a tutor really helped for certain topics.

I haven't made any Youtube videos yet, but if I do I will be sure to post the links in here :smile:

+ Thank you :smile:
Original post by AmarRPM
Hi,

A level textbooks will help you immensely. I would recommend using multiple A level textbooks and collating information from each textbook - so for example, if you were writing about the Krebs Cycle, use 5-10 A level textbooks and then extract the key information for this topic from each textbook, collate it all together and put it into your own words to ensure that you have included enough breadth and depth in your answer to get the top grades. Also make use of websites (just by doing a google search) Youtube videos, etc in order to include more detail in your answers.

You can get second hand A level textbooks online for quite cheap, also if you REALLY don't understand a topic you could get an online tutor to help you out/proofread your answers, I found chemistry pretty difficult so a tutor really helped for certain topics.

I haven't made any Youtube videos yet, but if I do I will be sure to post the links in here :smile:

+ Thank you

Hi, thank you so much for your suggestion. It's really helpful. I am also quite nervous with Chemistry. It's not my very "favourite" subject either!!😕. Anyway, thank you again. 🙏🏻🙏🏻
A big congratulations! Your hard work evidently paid off! Did you apply to any other Uni's? I've been considering doing an Access Course too and I think you've managed to convince me about it. Can I PM you to ask more in detail?
Reply 19
Original post by jupitercalv
A big congratulations! Your hard work evidently paid off! Did you apply to any other Uni's? I've been considering doing an Access Course too and I think you've managed to convince me about it. Can I PM you to ask more in detail?

Thanks :smile: I also received offers from Manchester, Nottingham and Leeds (all for BSc Neuroscience) - feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to answer your questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending