The Student Room Group

I feel like I've messed up - I've lost so many opportunities.

Hi. So - to fill you in, I go to the university in Farnborough. It's not really a proper university, its just one in the technical college. I'm 19. 20 in August.

I didn't do great in my A - Levels, but I still got offers from universities. Instead I played it safe, lived at home, worked, and went to uni. My class only has about 4 people in, and only me and one other person attends. There is no "Night life" in Farnborough, or Fleet, which is where I live.
I've watched all my friends move out, have their own story; find a new group, have a great time with them, travel with them, and move in with them, all whilst getting probably a more credible degree than I will.

Meanwhile I have no friends outside of work, which I hate anyway. All my friends have moved on, and I feel like I'm just stuck. I cannot move university as my degree is broken down into a HNC, HND, and a BSC year. This really upsets me, because as time passes, the realisation just gets worse and worse.
I wish I was brave enough to go to uni. Biggest regret ever.

It just hurts - I always had this idea growing up from like... 10 - 16 of one day having my own adventure as I went from child to fully grown man, eventually working full time with a degree under my belt. Now my evenings are spent inside alone. It's killing me; I can barely get out of bed in the mornings.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Alex Lovelock
Hi. So - to fill you in, I go to the university in Farnborough. It's not really a proper university, its just one in the technical college. I'm 19. 20 in August.

I didn't do great in my A - Levels, but I still got offers from universities. Instead I played it safe, lived at home, worked, and went to uni. My class only has about 4 people in, and only me and one other person attends. There is no "Night life" in Farnborough, or Fleet, which is where I live.
I've watched all my friends move out, have their own story; find a new group, have a great time with them, travel with them, and move in with them, all whilst getting probably a more credible degree than I will.

Meanwhile I have no friends outside of work, which I hate anyway. All my friends have moved on, and I feel like I'm just stuck. I cannot move university as my degree is broken down into a HNC, HND, and a BSC year. This really upsets me, because as time passes, the realisation just gets worse and worse.
I wish I was brave enough to go to uni. Biggest regret ever.

It just hurts - I always had this idea growing up from like... 10 - 16 of one day having my own adventure as I went from child to fully grown man, eventually working full time with a degree under my belt. Now my evenings are spent inside alone. It's killing me; I can barely get out of bed in the mornings.

Don't assume that just because of they way your degree is broken down, that this would prevent you applying to transfer to another university - if that's really what you want. Would you be interesting in transferring to one of the universities you previously received offers from (and which you turned down)? Try contacting them and see if they're still accepting applications for whatever course you're doing, and if they would allow you to transfer in.
Reply 2
I think I’m sort of in the same boat, I’m 19 turning 20 in oct and so far I’ve wasted one year out of education whilst my friends have gone on to do their degrees, move out, have fun and all that. My reason was family so I took the opportunity to reapply to other universities as the one I had ended up with was going to do nothing for me realistically. Applied and got rejected from Cambridge after being pooled, I played it too safe with my other options so now I may have to apply again, meaning either stay at home another year or go to a university that won’t do anything for me and away from my desired ‘social life’ and apply whilst I’m there :frown: this for me will mean I’ve wasted 2 years, my friends will be onto their last year in university when I start( possibly as I’m still thinking about it) in 2024. Their lives seem to be moving on at a good pace and I feel stuck, when I start next year I’ll have an additional 4 years at university and 1 year doing my access course… 3 years behind hurts and the realisation that my friends would have moved on long ago hurts bad but at the end of the day everyone has their own paths at some point, either try make the best of what you have or move to where you will be happy.
Reply 3
Are you just coming to the end of year 1?
Could you even consider starting again at another university if transferring is not possible? I don't know how the system works but you could certainly enquire about transferring.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 12Vbux
I think I’m sort of in the same boat, I’m 19 turning 20 in oct and so far I’ve wasted one year out of education whilst my friends have gone on to do their degrees, move out, have fun and all that. My reason was family so I took the opportunity to reapply to other universities as the one I had ended up with was going to do nothing for me realistically. Applied and got rejected from Cambridge after being pooled, I played it too safe with my other options so now I may have to apply again, meaning either stay at home another year or go to a university that won’t do anything for me and away from my desired ‘social life’ and apply whilst I’m there :frown: this for me will mean I’ve wasted 2 years, my friends will be onto their last year in university when I start( possibly as I’m still thinking about it) in 2024. Their lives seem to be moving on at a good pace and I feel stuck, when I start next year I’ll have an additional 4 years at university and 1 year doing my access course… 3 years behind hurts and the realisation that my friends would have moved on long ago hurts bad but at the end of the day everyone has their own paths at some point, either try make the best of what you have or move to where you will be happy.

Thanks for the advice. Its a really tough feeling. It would just feel like a waste to restart the entire process even though Im on track to do alright if I just carry one
Reply 5
Original post by Cote1
Are you just coming to the end of year 1?
Could you even consider starting again at another university if transferring is not possible? I don't know how the system works but you could certainly enquire about transferring.

It'll be the end of year 2 now. So in a year I could have nearly finished my entire degree, and after some research because my degree is basically 3 separate courses Id need to find a BSC (Top Up) thing which is a lot harder to find.
Reply 6
Original post by Alex Lovelock
It'll be the end of year 2 now. So in a year I could have nearly finished my entire degree, and after some research because my degree is basically 3 separate courses Id need to find a BSC (Top Up) thing which is a lot harder to find.

Is there any way you can work and travel in the holidays?
I was thinking one of those schemes like BUNAC or Camp America or something like that.
(edited 11 months ago)
@Alex Lovelock

Don't compare yourself with your friends. It is only making you feel down and you have to do what's best for you!

'All that glitters is not gold'

It's easy to think that a certain pathway is the best, but it's not necessarily the best for everyone.

You could be at the kind of uni your friends are at and be unhappy.

You need to think about whether you are in the right place, for what you want to do in the future.

I know that you want some great adventure, but if you want to, you can move after completing your course.

If you want to travel during the holidays, you can.

You are on a course, it's going well, you are halfway through and you have family nearby.

There really are positives if you look for them!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending