The Student Room Group

Little life help pls

Got into uni with all 2 grades lower than already average required grades. I honestly thought I didn't deserve it at all because it's all my fault my A levels were bad. But the uni is pretty nice and I definitely appreciate this opportunity.

The thing is though, I am feeling really weird, like I'm not getting enough from my experience. I know there's clubs to join and I signed up for a few- haven't been because my classes are already late and these clubs are even more late. I also don't feel so close to my friends, which will obviously take some time and effort to do things together so nevermind that. And I'm literally wasting my life away doing meaningless stuff that I honestly (most of the time) just don't comfortabke doing anymore when I really just want to improve and get some work experience, do my work on time, get some time to do some physical activity, complete my chores and have a fun time you know. I've been trying to get a part time (temp at most rn) job and that's failing and I'm trying to rush my driving lessons because I need to get my driving licence, don't ask why please.

Anyway I just feel super clueless and I just want to get somewhere in life right now.

Any advice and experience are welcome.
Sorry for the rant and thanks for taking the time to read this!
Original post by EstL
Got into uni with all 2 grades lower than already average required grades. I honestly thought I didn't deserve it at all because it's all my fault my A levels were bad. But the uni is pretty nice and I definitely appreciate this opportunity.

The thing is though, I am feeling really weird, like I'm not getting enough from my experience. I know there's clubs to join and I signed up for a few- haven't been because my classes are already late and these clubs are even more late. I also don't feel so close to my friends, which will obviously take some time and effort to do things together so nevermind that. And I'm literally wasting my life away doing meaningless stuff that I honestly (most of the time) just don't comfortabke doing anymore when I really just want to improve and get some work experience, do my work on time, get some time to do some physical activity, complete my chores and have a fun time you know. I've been trying to get a part time (temp at most rn) job and that's failing and I'm trying to rush my driving lessons because I need to get my driving licence, don't ask why please.

Anyway I just feel super clueless and I just want to get somewhere in life right now.

Any advice and experience are welcome.
Sorry for the rant and thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hi @EstL

I am sorry to hear that you're feeling this way!

I want to assure you that you're not alone in feeling this way. It is very common among uni students to feel a bit lost starting uni. Mainly because we have all of these expectations in our head of what uni is going to be like but then when we actually get there it is nothing like what we had imagined.

You are right a great way to get the most out of the ‘uni experience’ is to throw yourself into societies, events, etc. I would choose one society and give it a chance by regularly attending their events rather than choosing a few and turning up every now and then.

It does take time to adjust to uni life so don’t be too hard on yourself! You will find your feet and a good routine that makes you feel happy and productive.

As for working on yourself and getting valuable work experience under your belt, I would suggest you find something that is related to your degree or career aspirations. This may be difficult for a student to access so I would strongly encourage you to look at volunteering opportunities too, if you have the means to do this. I have volunteered for two big organisations which have developed me in so many ways I will forever be grateful.

I hope this helps a little:smile:

Keep going, you're doing great!

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest