The Student Room Group

Roommates and Food

Hello! I'm leaving for Uni in September and I'll be having a dorm with a roommate in it.
So for a bit of context on myself. I've struggled with eating my entire life, now I'm in my twenties and I've found the best way for me to eat, is to constantly make food or eat snacks throughout the day and night. Whenever I'm hungry.
I want to be mindful that my roommate will need their own space and rest and won't want to wake up to me making food at odd hours.
I was just wondering from lived experience, what decent filling food I could make (less than an hour prep or cook time preffered) that is less likely to wake my roommate up.
(The kitchens are in our shared dorm space, an apartment type thing so I can't just close doors between us)
Original post by TalonGrice9
Hello! I'm leaving for Uni in September and I'll be having a dorm with a roommate in it.
So for a bit of context on myself. I've struggled with eating my entire life, now I'm in my twenties and I've found the best way for me to eat, is to constantly make food or eat snacks throughout the day and night. Whenever I'm hungry.
I want to be mindful that my roommate will need their own space and rest and won't want to wake up to me making food at odd hours.
I was just wondering from lived experience, what decent filling food I could make (less than an hour prep or cook time preffered) that is less likely to wake my roommate up.
(The kitchens are in our shared dorm space, an apartment type thing so I can't just close doors between us)

Hi there!
I am glad to hear that you have found methods to help you with eating. My favourite comfort food to make would be pasta, which I take an hour to make using my mom's recipes. However, the cooking of the pasta only takes 12 minutes so you could add whatever you wanted to this with a short prep time. Alternatively, I love making toasties! They are filling and quick to make with easy dish clean up. My housemates tend to like having bowls of cereal when feeling peckish, or one of my friends has started to grate potatoes and make hash browns which takes around 20 minutes I believe. Perhaps speak to your new flatmate when you meet them and ask whether they are a deep sleeper to understand whether you might need to get a snack drawer rather than making full meals in the middle of the night.

Good luck with your studies in September!
Rachel - YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest