The Student Room Group

2nd year accommodation

hi there,
I am in my first year at a uni in manchester and am stressing about 2nd year housing. I dont really have any friends that i would live with, pretty much my only friends all commute so dont have people to live with. I also am not really friends with my flatmates so i will not be living with them and im pretty sure my flatmates have already signed for a house.

I am worried because i am not sure who i will be living with or where, as in whether i am going into like private halls,a uni house etc. People i have spoken to have said to me i need to sort it now but i have no idea what to do

I dont have or know anybody i would live with as i havent realllly made friends yet, and im getting worried that there will be nowhere for me to live. Ideally i would live in a student house with friends but i cant see that happening to be honest

Does anybody have any advice? do i need to be worried yet and start sorting it? Does anybody know of a good way to meet other people in your uni that also have nobody to live with in second year??
It's still early to sort things out. I've only talked about it with a handful of people and we're all still deciding what to do next year and with whom, although you should start putting the wheels in motion soon.

If you want to meet people and make friends to maybe rent something with next year, you should try joining some societies! And within your course... just go talk to people before and after lectures, that's a good way to get to know people :smile:

Failing this, you can look at private halls and maybe consider moving into them. Note though that they will be considerably more expensive than whatever it is you're paying for your uni halls this year.

Failing all that (or better yet, in addition to), talk to the student union and your uni's housing services, they'll be able to provide you with advice and help
I'm in the same position!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in the same position!

how are you finding it?? stressful 😂 ?
hi there,
I am in my first year at a uni in manchester and am stressing about 2nd year housing. I dont really have any friends that i would live with, pretty much my only friends all commute so dont have people to live with. I also am not really friends with my flatmates so i will not be living with them and im pretty sure my flatmates have already signed for a house.

I am worried because i am not sure who i will be living with or where, as in whether i am going into like private halls,a uni house etc. People i have spoken to have said to me i need to sort it now but i have no idea what to do

I dont have or know anybody i would live with as i havent realllly made friends yet, and im getting worried that there will be nowhere for me to live. Ideally i would live in a student house with friends but i cant see that happening to be honest

Does anybody have any advice? do i need to be worried yet and start sorting it? Does anybody know of a good way to meet other people in your uni that also have nobody to live with in second year??

Hi,

As others have said it may be a little early yet to be making 2nd year accommodation arrangements but it's good to have it in the back of your mind.

I would say that if you want to stay in uni halls, you may be placed in a flat with some new people who you will get to know which is always an option. Otherwise, private halls accommodation may be an option, however, this will probably be quite expensive.

An alternative would be to get to know others in your university through societies and clubs to see if any of them would be interested in renting a student house next year.

You still have loads of time to get to know people so try not to put too much pressure on yourself yet and just try to get to know as many people as you can. You'll never know where a potential flatmate could pop up from.

All the best,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
hi there,

Hi there,

It's understandable to feel worried about your living arrangements for 2nd year, especially when everyone is sorting it out this side of Christmas!

Explore the housing options available through your university. Some institutions have specific housing programs for students who don't have preferred roommates. These programs often match you with other students in a similar situation, providing an opportunity to make new friends. Another option for you, is to stay and book in to halls again for second year! This way, a new flood of people will come to live with you. If you’re looking for roommates similar to your age, you can put this in your notes when booking for next year so that the residence can consider your booking requirements.

You can also use online platforms designed for finding roommates, such as websites or social media groups specific to your university. There are quite a few on Facebook I’ve found! These platforms allow you to connect with other students who are also seeking roommates for the upcoming year as well as, giving you an opportunity to join some WhatsApp groups. Consider reaching out to classmates or acquaintances if you haven’t already, who might also be looking for housing. Even if you don't know them well, living together can be an opportunity to build new friendships.

Remember, living arrangements in university can be fluid, and it's not uncommon for friendships and living situations to evolve over time. Be open to new experiences! With a positive mindset and proactive approach, you can find suitable roommates.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending