The Student Room Group

Going On School Trip But Don't Talk To Anyone

So I'm going on a trip for 3 days, with my class but I literally don't talk to anyone in it, because everyone is already in their "group of friends". Whenever I try talking to them, they end up just forgetting I'm in the conversation and start talking to each other again. I'm really worried because I don't think I can go 3 days being alone, looking like an idiot when everyone else is having fun with their friends. I don't think they are rude, they just forget I'm there, because I have nothing in common with any of them. For example, we're talking about something, and then one of his friends starts talking to him about aeroplanes or something and then they just both and up talking about aeroplane games and stuff like that, while I'm just sitting there because I have nothing to say, and eventually fade out of the conversation. This has happened multiple times...

The trip is in a month.
What can I do in this month to get into one of these "groups of friends" to walk around with and talk to when I go on the trip?!
I was in this situation too in college. As part of my AS Geography course, we went on a trip to the French Alps for a week. That involved a 20+ hour coach journey to get there, a few days actually in the Alps and then another long coach journey back. I didn't really speak to anyone in my class because I'm naturally very shy, and didn't sit by anyone in lessons (I was at the front of the class so as to be able to see the board, and I just happened to be the only one on the front row).

I partially solved the issue by identifying a couple of classmates who looked approachable beforehand, and then going up and asking if I could hang out with them during one of the rest stops on the journey there. They said that was fine, and although they didn't talk to me all that much on the coach or during the actual trip itself, it was better than being completely alone as I did have people to talk to if I wanted/needed to. I also had to share a room with 2 girls I had never met before, but they turned out to be nice and we got along with no real issues.

So, my advice would be to try and pick out a few classmates who you think you'd get on with the best, and make an effort to get to know them a bit before you go on the trip. Even if you still have nothing in common, it's good to have a few people whom you get on with, even if they don't involve you quite as much as you'd like. Either way, I'm sure you'll get through it and be just fine, 3 days isn't very long, though it may seem that way :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm going on a day trip to see a classical music show and non of my friends are going on the trip so how do I cope with being a loner also I do not like any of the people going on this trip just wanting to know the best solution
this is happening to me now, it’s a bounce place where everyone will be having fun but i’m alone and everyone who’s going is “the popular kids” none of my friends are going so i’m going to be alone. i will have to sit next to some randomer(whos most likely a b*tch) and probably get ****ged off by them and their friend next to them. i can’t not go to the trip because my mam has paid. i already had to go through the anxiety of asking everyone if the trip was today and everyone said they don’t know because obvious they aren’t going. i’m going with my gut so if i end up at school in non uniform why everyone’s in uniform then i’m walking home which is 1 hour🤣🤦*♀️
Reply 4
hi! so tomorrow i’m going on a field trip with people from the agriculture department, and i literally don’t have any friends in the car with me and it’s a nine hour trip (we also leave at 6:30am which is just… awful..). i don’t know what i’m going to do the whole time. i know i put myself in this position by signing up to go in the first place but that was just because i had to in order to pass the class (weird class rules..) but yeah. i’m going to suffer so badly tomorrow hahaha… this actually will be so sad. if anyone sees this before i go and has tips to enjoy yourself in a car with people you don’t know without making everyone else feel awkward let me know!
Reply 5
Hello im going on a school ski trip in a few days. Last year our school went on the same trip but back then I had my best friend who transferred to another school now. I have other best friends at school these days but they are not going. So i have to go with people that I'm not close and don't like. Although there are some friends I'm close with who are going, they are not my best friends and would not be my roommates. I think teachers are gonna choose roommates by alphabetical order like last year and i know that my roommates would be the best friends group in my class besides me. Im so worried about what will happen. At least last year it was fun even though I wasn't roommates with my best friend since I could just move there and I was also roommates with my other best friends who are not going this year. I'm closer with few people who would not be in the same room this year but I'm still not sure if I should be with them during the trip because I'm not in their friends group. Generally I have more common things with my roommates than the other room but I still don't like them more. Actually I don't like both my roommates and the other room people. I kinda regret joining but can't change my mind since I already paid. I just wish trip would go by fast and it will somehow turn out well...
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Hi I'm going on a school ski trip in a few days and my friends are not going. Last year our school went on the same trip. Back then, I had my bff who transferred school now. She was not my roomates but i still spent a lot of time with her since i could just go to her room.I also had my other best friends as my roommates who are not going this year. There are few friends I'm a little close with who are going this year but not my best friends. And they will not be my roommates because I'm sure teachers will choose roomates alphabetically like last year. Funny thing is when they divide into two groups which they will, it is divided into exactly two friend group in our class except me. So it is reallg lucky thing for them but not me becuae i dont wanna be the only one not close with my roomates. So i wish its not alphabetical so thaf we all are with people not so close. But its not gonna happen. I'm not even sure if I should go to my a little close friends cuz I'm not in their friends group. I also hate my this year roomates more.. ahh I'm worried. I kinda regret joining but can't change since I already paid. I just wish the trip would go by fast and turns out well...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending