The Student Room Group

art a level remark

Hello! Sorry this is very messy, I'm sort of panicking right now and don't know what to do.
I've had an eventful art a level to say the least. But for one thing, my teachers have been so unhelpful. I aim to get A* in psychology and philosophy, and wanted a B in art, as my uni offer is AAB.
I have told my art teachers from around the end of year 12/start of year 13 that I need a B in art. I have emailed multiple times and asked them in class on what I can do to improve my sketchbook, as I was stuck around a C. They told me EVERYTIME 'oh your work is great! you just need to develop your ideas and show your progression blah blah' without actually telling me things I can do. I repeatedly went through my sketchbook with them page by page to see what I could do and their 'advice' was always unclear. Now I might be biased with all this, as I hated art from the moment I started in year 12. I had no set plan for anything and was just going through piece by piece. I chose it because I did it in GCSE and thought art a-level would be cooler and more fun than the GCSE and I was so wrong. I've suffered from mental health issues for a while and being in that art classroom made me feel sick.
Around October in year 13 my art teacher came up to me and said that since he had noticed all the effort and extra hours I was putting in, I was certainly getting a B and that would be my predicted grade. He said I was at the level of a B. That was perfect! I was so happy and felt I could relax a bit and focus on my other subjects more.
Wrong! It got to my report where it said my predicted grade was a C. I was so confused and heart broken after that conversation. A week later it was parents evening, where my mum brought this up. My art teachers both seemed ashamed and guilty, and said they put me at a C because they wanted to 'motivate me' and that if they gave me a B they feared I would become lazy and wouldn't bother with art anymore. Well obviously it didn't motivate me! They apologised to me and said they'd help more.
Their idea of 'help' was one day, coming up to me whilst I had an unfinished painting and saying that with my standard of work I would never be able to achieve a B and that I should change my project to fit what they wanted me to do. Over the last 5 months of my art a-level I was dreading every lesson, every extra hour I put in. I ran out of that classroom in tears so many times. I put in so much extra work even though I hated every second of it. Even in my 15 hour art exam I cried for the whole first hour because of how much I hated it.
Cut to two days ago. An internal invigliator/ teacher? has marked our coursework and final piece. My mark for the coursework is 62 (by 2022 grading, the baseline for a B) and my final piece is 57 (a C). People who spent way less time than me got way higher. I don't get it. Was it the skill level? I put so much effort in for nothing. I think my coursework will definitely bring my overall mark down to a C. Are you joking, I'm literally like 2-4 marks off a B. I really want to look at getting my work remarked or special reconsideration? I don't know what route to take and I'm very pessimistic about this. I hate how much A-levels have burnt my passion for art, and how art is the reason I can't go to my dream uni. Any advice? sorry if theres too much rambling.
Hey :smile:

I was kinda in the same position as you, as in my predicted grade was an E but got it up to an A. its usually a matter of quantity with art, which I know is annoying. its also a matter of what medium they deem as 'good', like if you look up exemplar sketchbooks youll see a lot use the same medium (and I think the specification lists only a certain few mediums as 'good').

honestly id recommend waiting until results day and then seeing the grade you get there, and then if youre not satisfied, you should appeal (especially since you dont know your coursework grade for sure).

I think its a common thread with incompetent teachers being art teachers because they know they can get away with it :/

also, is the mark for your final piece legit? because we havent gotten ours marked and they said we need to wait for results day
Original post by oxfordthrowaway
Hey :smile:

I was kinda in the same position as you, as in my predicted grade was an E but got it up to an A. its usually a matter of quantity with art, which I know is annoying. its also a matter of what medium they deem as 'good', like if you look up exemplar sketchbooks youll see a lot use the same medium (and I think the specification lists only a certain few mediums as 'good').

honestly id recommend waiting until results day and then seeing the grade you get there, and then if youre not satisfied, you should appeal (especially since you dont know your coursework grade for sure).

I think its a common thread with incompetent teachers being art teachers because they know they can get away with it :/

also, is the mark for your final piece legit? because we havent gotten ours marked and they said we need to wait for results day

aren't you meant to receive your marks before the moderators come in case you want to request a remark? id ask ur teachers cuz im pretty sure they have to give them to you before the moderators come in
Original post by cloudymaiiii
Hello! Sorry this is very messy, I'm sort of panicking right now and don't know what to do.
I've had an eventful art a level to say the least. But for one thing, my teachers have been so unhelpful. I aim to get A* in psychology and philosophy, and wanted a B in art, as my uni offer is AAB.
I have told my art teachers from around the end of year 12/start of year 13 that I need a B in art. I have emailed multiple times and asked them in class on what I can do to improve my sketchbook, as I was stuck around a C. They told me EVERYTIME 'oh your work is great! you just need to develop your ideas and show your progression blah blah' without actually telling me things I can do. I repeatedly went through my sketchbook with them page by page to see what I could do and their 'advice' was always unclear. Now I might be biased with all this, as I hated art from the moment I started in year 12. I had no set plan for anything and was just going through piece by piece. I chose it because I did it in GCSE and thought art a-level would be cooler and more fun than the GCSE and I was so wrong. I've suffered from mental health issues for a while and being in that art classroom made me feel sick.
Around October in year 13 my art teacher came up to me and said that since he had noticed all the effort and extra hours I was putting in, I was certainly getting a B and that would be my predicted grade. He said I was at the level of a B. That was perfect! I was so happy and felt I could relax a bit and focus on my other subjects more.
Wrong! It got to my report where it said my predicted grade was a C. I was so confused and heart broken after that conversation. A week later it was parents evening, where my mum brought this up. My art teachers both seemed ashamed and guilty, and said they put me at a C because they wanted to 'motivate me' and that if they gave me a B they feared I would become lazy and wouldn't bother with art anymore. Well obviously it didn't motivate me! They apologised to me and said they'd help more.
Their idea of 'help' was one day, coming up to me whilst I had an unfinished painting and saying that with my standard of work I would never be able to achieve a B and that I should change my project to fit what they wanted me to do. Over the last 5 months of my art a-level I was dreading every lesson, every extra hour I put in. I ran out of that classroom in tears so many times. I put in so much extra work even though I hated every second of it. Even in my 15 hour art exam I cried for the whole first hour because of how much I hated it.
Cut to two days ago. An internal invigliator/ teacher? has marked our coursework and final piece. My mark for the coursework is 62 (by 2022 grading, the baseline for a B) and my final piece is 57 (a C). People who spent way less time than me got way higher. I don't get it. Was it the skill level? I put so much effort in for nothing. I think my coursework will definitely bring my overall mark down to a C. Are you joking, I'm literally like 2-4 marks off a B. I really want to look at getting my work remarked or special reconsideration? I don't know what route to take and I'm very pessimistic about this. I hate how much A-levels have burnt my passion for art, and how art is the reason I can't go to my dream uni. Any advice? sorry if theres too much rambling.

i feel you ive struggled with my motivation for art so much i didnt do GCSE and i was naively hoping for an A but my predicted grades have always been Bs and Cs for the first one so i thought i would try really hard for the second but to no avail. i scored 76 on comp 1 and 64 on comp 2 so at first i thought it was the borderline for an A and was over the moon but i think its actually a B. i was really disappointed with myself cuz i also always put in so much time i spent all of my frees in the art rooms for both years. now im hoping for a miracle with the grade boundaries and hoping that for whatever reason they will be reduced just a bit - considering that theres not been an exam for like 4 years i would hope aqa reduce them ever so slightly cuz from what my class has said, pretty much everyone did worse on the exam project.

i would say just hope for the best, theres no way to remark your work specifically the most that would happen if you requested a 'review' is that either your teachers or a moderator will check the standard of marking was the same. so they would just make sure the teacher marked everything fairly from a few examples which may or may not be yours. thats not a remark and there isnt a direct way for you to get one. wait until results day which sucks i know but im a firm believer in whatever happens is for the best so it may suck now but it will work out for you! good luck with the rest of your exams

Quick Reply

Latest