The Student Room Group

can I get a 9 in Art???

So basically I am doing Edexcel IGCSE Fine Art (4FA1) and I have submitted my component 1 which is worth 60% of my grade.

I have not got my raw mark for it yet, but it is a mid-8 according to my teacher. Apparently, the reason why I lost a lot of marks was because I didn't have enough practical work. I really, really want to get a 9 though because I'm getting 9s in everything else. My teacher told me it is possible for me to get a 9, but I don't know whether it is realistic.

From my calculations, I estimate that I got around 55/72 for comp1, meaning that to get a 9 I need to get 70/72 for comp2 (due to the 60-40 weighting). I have been doing more practical work considering the feedback. Is it realistically possible to get a 9? Or should I just give up... I have spent countless hours on the project and I'm upset about the idea of not getting top grades.

Also want to ask how remarking works. Is it worth getting it remarked if I get an 8? How much does it cost? Will getting an 8 in Art affect my university applications for Russell Group (applying for STEM)?

Any advice would be appreciated.
(edited 2 months ago)
Getting an 8 in one subject when applying to uni for a STEM subject is unlikely to affect your chances of getting in. I mean I got an offer from York when I got no 9s (I got 88777776665), so I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't give up, just try your best because you are clearly doing very well.
Most universities don't differentiate between 8/9 grades at GCSE. There are few which have changed their language to be more ambiguous but still, only one or two specifically state they score them differently. Also many universities and courses don't score GCSEs formally anyway.

Literally a non-factor whether you get an 8 or a 9 in GCSE Art.

Quick Reply

Latest