The Student Room Group

loneliness as an only child

i love my parents and we get on well but i've always felt so lonely as an only child. i also don't enjoy going places with them (eg going on a day trip/on holiday) as it feels boring and sometimes makes me feel even more lonely when i think about how some people have a sibling there with them. this ends up meaning we don't go out ever and even though we get on well in home life, we don't ever go out or do anything more than watch tv together
how do i get over this? i know it seems simple and that i just need to go out with them and cope but the lonely feeling is not nice to live with all my life
Reply 1
My sister and I spent the vast majority of our time together arguing, throughout childhood. There are advantages to being an only child.
Reply 2
Original post by Cote1
My sister and I spent the vast majority of our time together arguing, throughout childhood. There are advantages to being an only child.

i understand the advantages and that not all sibling relationships are good but not number of advantages will stop me from craving the average healthy sibling relationship
I used to spend a lot of my childhood using my imagination. I guess I was used to being on my own. I'm sorry to hear you're lonely, I get you, it can be lonely, but try to find ways to occupy yourself. There's not much you can do about having no siblings, after all.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
i love my parents and we get on well but i've always felt so lonely as an only child. i also don't enjoy going places with them (eg going on a day trip/on holiday) as it feels boring and sometimes makes me feel even more lonely when i think about how some people have a sibling there with them. this ends up meaning we don't go out ever and even though we get on well in home life, we don't ever go out or do anything more than watch tv together
how do i get over this? i know it seems simple and that i just need to go out with them and cope but the lonely feeling is not nice to live with all my life

Single child here too. I am also terribly, perhaps chronically lonely. Moreover due to massive isolation and fallout in school i have been effectively shunned.
Spend more time with your parents. It is the only way to get past it. Besides university life will be better. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending