The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Mathematics A Paper 3 (H240/03) - 20th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

yes ignore that hahaha
Original post by Harry204
Wasn't that question 7?
I did the same and would also like to know....

Original post by Simba2012
If you used g as 9.8 for projectiles instead of 10 the whole way through how many marks do you reckon you'll drop if you got all the method right?
Original post by Kitsilano1865

U lose 1 mark in the whole q
Original post by nagabaga
they’ll definitely be low, most exam boards have said they want to go back to 2019 levels, but in reality we still faced forms of disruption from COVID so grade boundaries will be lower - not quite peak COVID levels though. even CIE have admitted that they don’t think they’ll make the grade boundaries parallel w 2019 for this season.

but the case for CIE is slightly different; CIE runs the International A-Level (the system is basically like a levels in England before reforms in 2016, similar to the current system in Wales)

students doing A2 exams with CIE iALs should have sat the AS modules in some exam series before, mostly likely June 2022; they their raw scores are converted into UMS using grade boundaries for that exam series, and there final A-Level certification will be based on total UMS obtained from one or more exam series, not just June 2023
Reply 164
Original post by Kitsilano1865

So my teacher said the following

I have looked at the 2021 Paper 3 where g =10 applied. The mark scheme states 'Penalise g = 9.8 only once in the question'. Therefore if you used g = 9.8 in every part of the projectiles question, but applied g correctly, then you will only be penalised in part (a) of the question and you will not lose marks in the remaining parts of the question if g = 9.8 is applied correctly.

I've attached the mark scheme from 2021 to highlight how this will work. Notice the right-hand column, which also gives the answers if g = 9.8 was used instead.

image.png

I hope this clarifies your concerns. Ultimately if you have done everything correct in the whole question, but used g = 9.8 instead, then you will lose some marks in part (a) but receive full marks in the remaining parts of the question
Reply 165
We are so back
This is my best paper by far it turns out
Original post by Golden JHC
This is my best paper by far it turns out

what did u get
Original post by Sirius17
what did u get

100%
Original post by talismygod
100%

You're saying you got 100% in the maths paper... wtf