The Student Room Group

Studied abroad for college

Hi! I studied in the US for college, and I’ve been there for most of the year since I was 16. I started my first year at a US university and absolutely hated it, so I’d like to come back to the UK and restart university here. I’m a British citizen and lived here til I was 16, and I spend around 5 months out of the year in the UK and 7 months in the US. Would I be eligible for student finance?
Reply 1
for context i'm just worried i won't meet the living in the UK for 3 years requirement!
Original post by peachpit
Hi! I studied in the US for college, and I’ve been there for most of the year since I was 16. I started my first year at a US university and absolutely hated it, so I’d like to come back to the UK and restart university here. I’m a British citizen and lived here til I was 16, and I spend around 5 months out of the year in the UK and 7 months in the US. Would I be eligible for student finance?

Hi there,

Where are you currently living? What course are you looking to apply for? When does the course start? Do you have evidence to show your time outside the UK was temporary?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 3
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Where are you currently living? What course are you looking to apply for? When does the course start? Do you have evidence to show your time outside the UK was temporary?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire!
I'm currently living in England, looking to apply for a Bachelor's in Art/Illustration/Graphic Design somewhere in England. I'd be starting in 2024. And yes, I do have evidence, in that I was on a student visa, and I always intended on going back to the UK after completing my studies?
Original post by peachpit
Hi Claire!
I'm currently living in England, looking to apply for a Bachelor's in Art/Illustration/Graphic Design somewhere in England. I'd be starting in 2024. And yes, I do have evidence, in that I was on a student visa, and I always intended on going back to the UK after completing my studies?

Hi there,

Thanks, normally to be eligible you'd need to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course, that's correct. However, time spent abroad is fine so long as it's temporary, and it sounds like you have evidence to show this.

To be sure we'll need you to make an application and the assessors can confirm this. Don't worry if you don't know this now, but when do you plan to start studying in the UK?

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending