The Student Room Group

I'm considering my future in regards to university and need some advice.

I'm sort of stuck between universities, I plan to take a history course and I'm between either the University of Southampton or UCL; I was wondering if either of those were good and/or if there were any other universities that are good for history. Thanks. (for added context I'm doing a modern history and sociology A Level and a Music BTEC + maybe a Latin AS Level, so I'm not exactly expecting to get into Oxford)
Reply 1
Id recommend doing a couple things
1) going on open days or other events at both universities as it sometimes helps to see the campus and feel what its like to be there
2) compare prices, London for example is very expensive, so you may need to figure out your maintenance loan cover and how far this would stretch at either university
3) loads of websites now compare student satisfaction across different courses and different universities so it may be worth checking that score and seeing how others who have studied there score it
4) look at the modules they both offer, one might cover the area of history you are interested in more than the other

Hope this helps!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Wezzers07
I'm sort of stuck between universities, I plan to take a history course and I'm between either the University of Southampton or UCL; I was wondering if either of those were good and/or if there were any other universities that are good for history. Thanks. (for added context I'm doing a modern history and sociology A Level and a Music BTEC + maybe a Latin AS Level, so I'm not exactly expecting to get into Oxford)

Which course do you prefer out of those two? Which environment would suit you better?

(The same questions apply to any other unis that you are considering.)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Which course do you prefer out of those two? Which environment would suit you better?

(The same questions apply to any other unis that you are considering.)

I think I'm leaning more towards UCL since I'd like to do a year abroad and it seems to have the best choice of places to go
I think I'm leaning more towards UCL since I'd like to do a year abroad and it seems to have the best choice of places to go

Ok, do your predictions meet their requirements?

Many unis offer a year abroad, btw.
Reply 5
Ok, do your predictions meet their requirements?

Many unis offer a year abroad, btw.

My predicted grades given at the start of college don't but I recently had one changed so I think as long as I pass my BTEC with a distinction or higher I'm good. And yeah I know that many unis offer a year abroad but I'm mainly interested in going to either the USA or Canada and UCL seemed to have the better places to go in those countries.
My predicted grades given at the start of college don't but I recently had one changed so I think as long as I pass my BTEC with a distinction or higher I'm good. And yeah I know that many unis offer a year abroad but I'm mainly interested in going to either the USA or Canada and UCL seemed to have the better places to go in those countries.

Ok. Have you applied? Do you have offers?
Reply 7
Ok. Have you applied? Do you have offers?

I've only just started college this September, but I'm going to apply as early as I deem reasonable. By the way, can't you apply up to like 5 universities? (Sorry for all the questions, I have a tendency to be clueless haha)
I've only just started college this September, but I'm going to apply as early as I deem reasonable. By the way, can't you apply up to like 5 universities? (Sorry for all the questions, I have a tendency to be clueless haha)

Applying next year, presumably?

Yes, you apply to 5. See ucas.com for details.

Quick Reply

Latest