The Student Room Group

Failed first year,waiting for appeal result should I change course?

I just need advice on what to do since the 2 Student Support Advisers I felt they were not giving me proper advice. I failed the core module of the course and was told that I will be kicked out of the course and I could appeal.I did appeal before the results were made final and cannot help myself thinking of the outcome. Do I look for another course and start afresh or I should just wait for the appeal results? I worried that by the time it is out there wont be places available for either the course or another..Also how will it affect my student finance?
Original post by Anonymous
I just need advice on what to do since the 2 Student Support Advisers I felt they were not giving me proper advice. I failed the core module of the course and was told that I will be kicked out of the course and I could appeal.I did appeal before the results were made final and cannot help myself thinking of the outcome. Do I look for another course and start afresh or I should just wait for the appeal results? I worried that by the time it is out there wont be places available for either the course or another..Also how will it affect my student finance?

If you fail, most institutions (college, university etc.) should offer you at least one opportunity to resit the module... either in September or repeat the year.

On what basis would you appeal? Were there personal circumstances that meant you were unable to focus on your studying as much as you would like to? If so, do you have any physical evidence of it? Is there a specific course that you were thinking of transferring to? If so, have you already spoken to the Admin officers? If they're aware and are sympathetic to your predicament, they may "pull some strings". If you did well on most of your other modules, then at least that shows that you're serious about studying. All the same, you need to 100% sure what went wrong with this one, as people will be far far less forgiving if the same thing happens on another course.

Not sure whether you're in college or Uni, or how things ae currently, but in my day, you basically had your first year to change your course, and your finance wasn't affected. This may well have changed now, so someone else may be able to advise you better.
Reply 2
Original post by Old Skool Freak
If you fail, most institutions (college, university etc.) should offer you at least one opportunity to resit the module... either in September or repeat the year.

On what basis would you appeal? Were there personal circumstances that meant you were unable to focus on your studying as much as you would like to? If so, do you have any physical evidence of it? Is there a specific course that you were thinking of transferring to? If so, have you already spoken to the Admin officers? If they're aware and are sympathetic to your predicament, they may "pull some strings". If you did well on most of your other modules, then at least that shows that you're serious about studying. All the same, you need to 100% sure what went wrong with this one, as people will be far far less forgiving if the same thing happens on another course.

Not sure whether you're in college or Uni, or how things ae currently, but in my day, you basically had your first year to change your course, and your finance wasn't affected. This may well have changed now, so someone else may be able to advise you better.

Am in Uni. I failed the reassessment which was the second attempt.And I passed half of the course modules. When I started my course I had a bereavement in the family and had to travel abroad to say my goodbyes of which I came back when Assignment had already been submitted. Also I had a challenging placement which just made me to overwhelmed.Managed to resubmit my Assignments out of 4 just passed 1. Making it 60 credits out of 120...
Original post by Anonymous
Am in Uni. I failed the reassessment which was the second attempt.And I passed half of the course modules. When I started my course I had a bereavement in the family and had to travel abroad to say my goodbyes of which I came back when Assignment had already been submitted. Also I had a challenging placement which just made me to overwhelmed.Managed to resubmit my Assignments out of 4 just passed 1. Making it 60 credits out of 120...

Were the university already aware of all of the above? If not, can you quantify what happened? With bereavements, it's normally dependent on how close the deceased family member was (e.g. if it's a parent, sibling or possibly grand parent, then it should definitely count... but as you get to more distant family members, the impact is reduced).

Were there any adverse events between your first and second attempts? I think those would probably count for something.
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Were the university already aware of all of the above? If not, can you quantify what happened? With bereavements, it's normally dependent on how close the deceased family member was (e.g. if it's a parent, sibling or possibly grand parent, then it should definitely count... but as you get to more distant family members, the impact is reduced).

Were there any adverse events between your first and second attempts? I think those would probably count for something.

Emailed the course leader about me travelling abroad and the reason why I was doing so. So they were aware about my bereavement.And it was a close member of the family. I did not submit one of them because I was abroad and explained it to my AA. And the second module the first attempt I could not because I it was just few weeks after coming back from abroad. But I submitted the second attempt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending