The Student Room Group

Applying for student visas

I am a student from the US who has been accepted to study at the University of St. Andrews this September.
As I am in the midst of applying for my student visa, I noticed that there are two ways of "proving your identity":
1. give your biometric information at a visa application centre
2. use the UK immigration: ID check app to scan my identity document
I was wondering what the pros and cons were for each option, and whether or not you'll still need to hand in your passport for 3~4 weeks as part of the student visa process.

Thank you for the help.
Hi,

First of all, congratulations on your offer! :wink: I was in the exact position two years ago when applying for my visa. I would definitely go for the second option, which is just much easier. You verify your identity online for free (and your passport stays with you), so you do not have to go to a visa application centre and pay for the visit. Then, when you receive a visa, you have it fully online, meaning that you can prove that you have a visa through a share code generated on the government website anytime you need to do so. In the first option, you would have to collect a biometric residence permit (BRP) from a designated place and you would prove your identity and that you are a visa holder with that. In a nutshell, the first option requires more time and financial commitment, whereas you can do everything quickly and online with the second option.

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions, I will be happy to help :h:

Take care,

Julia
Original post by De Montfort University
You verify your identity online for free (and your passport stays with you), so you do not have to go to a visa application centre and pay for the visit. Then, when you receive a visa, you have it fully online, meaning that you can prove that you have a visa through a share code generated on the government website anytime you need to do so. In the first option, you would have to collect a biometric residence permit (BRP) from a designated place and you would prove your identity and that you are a visa holder with that. In a nutshell, the first option requires more time and financial commitment, whereas you can do everything quickly and online with the second option.

Do you have to be physically in the UK to use the second option -- the app? I'm outside the UK for holiday and the app didn't work (not sure it's my phone or it knows I'm not in the UK?)
I've studied in the UK for sixth form and already have a student tier 4 visa, but need a new one for uni, so I'm really confused about APPLYING for a new one over again or just EXTENDING (do I need to be INSIDE the UK right this moment to extend?) Thank you in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest