The Student Room Group

English Rossetti poems

I’ve been struggling to answer these row question can someone pls help thank u

-Explore the ways in which Rossetti presents devotion in Maude Clare and in one other
poem.

-Explore the ways in which Rossetti presents personal difficulties in up-Hill and in one
other poem.
Reply 1
we may study different poems but this is what i'd answer (not including context)

for the first one (maude clare) i'd probably talk about devotion in goblin market as a comparison to that, using the fruit imagery and the idea of ripeness as a catalyst for ruining peoples devotion for one another; so goblin market the fruit and then in maude clare the 'budding bough' that they pick from which is the start of the ruin of their love. obviously you can then talk about the idea of familial devotion and romantic devotion etc in each poem so for me it would be a good pick..

for the second one, (up-hill) i'd pair it with our mothers due to the fact that their personal difficulties are grounded in the presence of god, with up-hill being the difficulty of her own journey to the afterlife and being comforted by this god voice and then our mothers worrying about their parent's presence in heaven with god and if they can 'bare to look down'.

i hope this helps in some way?
Reply 2
Original post by delsiya
we may study different poems but this is what i'd answer (not including context)

for the first one (maude clare) i'd probably talk about devotion in goblin market as a comparison to that, using the fruit imagery and the idea of ripeness as a catalyst for ruining peoples devotion for one another; so goblin market the fruit and then in maude clare the 'budding bough' that they pick from which is the start of the ruin of their love. obviously you can then talk about the idea of familial devotion and romantic devotion etc in each poem so for me it would be a good pick..

for the second one, (up-hill) i'd pair it with our mothers due to the fact that their personal difficulties are grounded in the presence of god, with up-hill being the difficulty of her own journey to the afterlife and being comforted by this god voice and then our mothers worrying about their parent's presence in heaven with god and if they can 'bare to look down'.

i hope this helps in some way?

thank u so much this helped a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending