The Student Room Group

OCR A-level English Literature Paper 1 (H472/01) - 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

OCR A-level English Literature Paper 1 (H472/01) - Wednesday 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: Wednesday 24th May 2023 / PM
Length: 2h 30m
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can someone please send me a list of language techniques, relating to structure, form, and all of that composes the AO2 mark. For Dystopia and Drama and poetry. Thanks
Similes/metaphors/extended metaphors/hyperbole/chiasmus/cyclical/catharsis/pathos idk myself tbh, those are just a few I can think of rn lol.
Hi, just to let you all know I've made this the official thread for this exam :smile: Good luck!
Original post by Pwca
Hi, just to let you all know I've made this the official thread for this exam :smile: Good luck!

Thank you. Wish I was doing a more popular exam board for English Lit, but oh well.
Reply 5
What texts are you doing for this exam?
I am doing Hamlet, The Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost Books 9 & 10
Original post by loserclubs
What texts are you doing for this exam?
I am doing Hamlet, The Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost Books 9 & 10

Yoo, I'm doing the exact same! We can pool resources if you want. I'm currently trying to focus on getting prepared essays for the paper 1 so I can just start memorising my answers.
Reply 7
Original post by Pwca
OCR A-level English Literature Paper 1 (H472/01) - Wednesday 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: Wednesday 24th May 2023 / PM
Length: 2h 30m

too fast and havent revise owt
Reply 8
havent revise so gna fail good luck to me and yu yalll
Reply 9
Anyone doing Hamlet, because I would love to discuss ideas and pool resources for the part b question.
Original post by driaz
Anyone doing Hamlet, because I would love to discuss ideas and pool resources for the part b question.

hiya! I'm doing Hamlet too xox
Reply 11
Anybody doing Richard iii and Ibsen & Rossetti?
Reply 12
I'm in the OCR exam board, and I'm wondering if anyone has some good context for the Ibsen&Rossetti comparison essay in Paper 1? I have a limited number of them and I don't feel like it's enough to cover a wide variety of question.
Reply 13
Original post by amelialbm
Anybody doing Richard iii and Ibsen & Rossetti?

I'm doing I&R, not Richard iii though. Know any useful context for Ibsen and Rossetti by any chance?
Reply 14
Original post by driaz

Me too. Any particular questions u wanna discuss
Original post by EleaB
Me too. Any particular questions u wanna discuss

What do you think are all the likely themes to come up? And how likely is it to get a character specific question as opposed to a general question? I'm making a summary of all the acts and scenes so I have more to talk about for the hamlet part a, but for the part b I'm not exactly sure how to approach it tbh.
Reply 16
Original post by toxicgamage56
What do you think are all the likely themes to come up? And how likely is it to get a character specific question as opposed to a general question? I'm making a summary of all the acts and scenes so I have more to talk about for the hamlet part a, but for the part b I'm not exactly sure how to approach it tbh.

I've come across questions that are character specific, such as for Ophelia. It was a really fun question to write honestly, but I think mainly they might ask about themes such as corruption / acting / action vs words. There are plenty of sample exam questions that might give you an idea if you search online for past papers. Personally, I'm just grouping quotes by characters and subdividing into themes using Quizlet, e.g. Hamlet (madness), followed by critics and Hamlet (hesitation) and critics.
Original post by EleaB
I've come across questions that are character specific, such as for Ophelia. It was a really fun question to write honestly, but I think mainly they might ask about themes such as corruption / acting / action vs words. There are plenty of sample exam questions that might give you an idea if you search online for past papers. Personally, I'm just grouping quotes by characters and subdividing into themes using Quizlet, e.g. Hamlet (madness), followed by critics and Hamlet (hesitation) and critics.

You don't really need quotes for the Hamlet part though? It's going to be a lot of effort memorising Hamlet quotes, critics, and the quotes/critics for your comparison after.
Original post by EleaB
I'm in the OCR exam board, and I'm wondering if anyone has some good context for the Ibsen&Rossetti comparison essay in Paper 1? I have a limited number of them and I don't feel like it's enough to cover a wide variety of question.

Same! I'm doing Ibsen and Rossetti, and then The Tempest. I have some context points in a mindmap, not much on Rossetti though! I need some more: but here is the link to the mindmap: https://mm.tt/map/2750344516?t=5jdXTUIuBG

If anyone has anything else for either Rossetti, Ibsen, The Tempest - let me know!!
Reply 19
Original post by toxicgamage56
You don't really need quotes for the Hamlet part though? It's going to be a lot of effort memorising Hamlet quotes, critics, and the quotes/critics for your comparison after.

Well I've been told and also have been writing essays that embed quotes in my essays, so I do think quotes are quite important. You are right about it being a total headache having to memorise quotes and critics for Hamlet and then more for I&R, but that's what I did anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending