The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL NatSci course query

Hi, I've recently received an offer for natsci at UCL and was wondering how heavy the workload actually is compared to pure science courses (i.e. chemistry) as I've heard it can apparently be quite high. Is it also possible to switch to a pure science course at UCL if your preferences change over the first year? Just asking as I know some other universities such as Bath allow you to do this and I wouldn't want to feel trapped in natsci if I realised I didn't enjoy the second subject I had taken.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I really don't know which unis I should put down as firm/insurance (currently deciding between Bath and UCL). Any thoughts on what the quality of the course is like would also be very useful.
Sorry I can’t help you with your questions but just wondered when you applied to UCL? My son is still waiting to hear despite applying in October and UCL is the only university he hasn’t heard from. Anyway good luck with your choice.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by MeddygMam
Sorry I can’t help you with your questions but just wondered when you applied to UCL? My son is still waiting to hear despite applying in October and UCL is the only university he hasn’t heard from. Anyway good luck with your choice.
I applied to UCL specifically on the UCAS deadline (31 January) so probably not that helpful of an answer :/

Unrelated, but has your son applied to/heard from Imperial by any chance? I also applied in October and still haven't heard from them.
Original post by deliciouspropane
I applied to UCL specifically on the UCAS deadline (31 January) so probably not that helpful of an answer :/
Unrelated, but has your son applied to/heard from Imperial by any chance? I also applied in October and still haven't heard from them.
No he applied to Cambridge, Durham, Bath, Leeds and UCL all for Natural Sciences and has heard back from all of them apart from UCL. It would be nice to get all offers in then he can choose where he wants to go. Let’s hope you both get some news very soon.
No he applied to Cambridge, Durham, Bath, Leeds and UCL all for Natural Sciences and has heard back from all of them apart from UCL. It would be nice to get all offers in then he can choose where he wants to go. Let’s hope you both get some news very soon.
Yes, I very much hope so - best of luck with UCL 👍

UCL have been known to make offers right up until the end of the UCAS suggested period offers should be made by (i.e. May). I got mine in mid May when I applied!

I wouldn't worry about it. If they haven't sent a rejection then he's still in the running :smile:

UCAS usually updates before any emails get sent by the uni (and Portico lags well behind everything else in my experience) so just wait for the notification from UCAS.

Hi, I've recently received an offer for natsci at UCL and was wondering how heavy the workload actually is compared to pure science courses (i.e. chemistry) as I've heard it can apparently be quite high. Is it also possible to switch to a pure science course at UCL if your preferences change over the first year? Just asking as I know some other universities such as Bath allow you to do this and I wouldn't want to feel trapped in natsci if I realised I didn't enjoy the second subject I had taken.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I really don't know which unis I should put down as firm/insurance (currently deciding between Bath and UCL). Any thoughts on what the quality of the course is like would also be very useful.

I suspect it might be trickier to swap into a single science subject since you don't do as many of the core first year modules (e.g. chemistry I think normally only two out of three of the main streams?). I'm not doing natsci so can't say for sure though. Might be worth emailing them to ask if that's a possibility (and/or if any students have done that in the past).
Any advice would be much appreciated as I really don't know which unis I should put down as firm/insurance (currently deciding between Bath and UCL). Any thoughts on what the quality of the course is like would also be very useful.hi i can give you advice on ucl natsci and chem. so for the straight chem course i actually think the workload is heavier than natsci, you do more labs then the average natsci student, e.g. you will have to do 6 labs in the first terms and 2 really long group projects whereas natsci that choose chem as module will do 3 labs. The timetable for chem students was also a lot more heavier than natsci students. But I do know people that switched from natsci to chem (they found it a lot harder) in the first few weeks under the same impression of a single science being easier).
hi, im also debating between bath and ucl for natsci. im a gap year student so i’ve received unconditional offers from both unis. i haven’t really found any student reflection on natsci for biology and chemistry related streams. is the structure for ucl natsci still not so organised (based on what ive read so far)? im from london and idm moving out so how’s the social life and support given by bath uni? i would appreciate if anyone could give experience about year abroad programme offered + graduate prospects for both unis.

Hi I’m a Natsci student at UCL. The work load is not always more then single subjects, as you take the same number of modules, however if you choose a stream say biology and chemistry, because of labs you’ll usually have more contact time then physics and History and Philosophy of Science. The good thing about the course is slit of the early modules say in maths, coding and even biology are taught in house, which means the classes are smaller amd the lecturers generally better. In terms of difficult, it is more difficult than single courses because you have to juggle two some times totally different subject areas. This come as a benefit because you have a diverse view on things, and ucl natsci students tend to be well sought after both in terms of grad jobs and post graduate degrees and research at top firms and universities. The down side is you will most likely have to choose between a selection of modules you think are interesting and decide on one, this is because there is a fixed module limit. Truth be told, Cambridge is the only true natsci uni, but the course here is surprisingly well designed, unlike what I hear about Durham where there isn’t really a natural sciences degree, you just splice to programs together.
Original post by Anonymous #2
hi, im also debating between bath and ucl for natsci. im a gap year student so i’ve received unconditional offers from both unis. i haven’t really found any student reflection on natsci for biology and chemistry related streams. is the structure for ucl natsci still not so organised (based on what ive read so far)? im from london and idm moving out so how’s the social life and support given by bath uni? i would appreciate if anyone could give experience about year abroad programme offered + graduate prospects for both unis.

UCL had by quite some way the better and more renowned reputation, that said the course at bath is meant to be very good.

Also ucl natsci isn’t very competitive, because everyone that applies for natsci wants to go to cambridge, so they know the cream of the crop won’t go anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending