The Student Room Group

Ethological explanations aggression

Does anyone have any plans for ethological explanations, for aggression, 8/16 markers cause i am yet to understand it
Reply 1
For AO1 you can say about how it's an adaptive response for survival and reproduction (to get important resources needed for survival and to establish dominance hierarchies to attract mates), about ritualistic behaviours and appeasement to prevent extinction as it prevents further damage to the loser from the victor at the end of a confrontation and then maybe give an example about wolfs (expose their neck to show vulnerability) and then talk about IRM (innate releasing mechanism, in-build physiological process like network of neutrons and is triggered by a stimulus to create FAP) and also about the features fo FAP (fixed action pattern) so stereotyped, universal, ballistic... (idk if it's too much for AO1)
And for AO3 you can say about male sticklebacks and how they show aggression towards any wooden models of another stickleback if they had a red spot on underbelly (because of competition, to protect territory and mates), it shows that IRM always leads to FAP and then say how it may not be generalisable to humans (we don't easily show aggressive behaviour inertly). and then Chimpanzees can still be aggressive with other chimpanzees even if ritualistic behaviour is shown so IRM always leads to FAP but it doesn't support the ritualistic thing.
Also it was found that men in southern states of America are more likely to be aggressive than from northern states (in a lab study when they were insulted they were more likely to be aggressive) so aggressive behaviour is a learned social norm so has nurture influence not nature and I think it also shows culture bias so the explanation cannot be applied to all cultures.

I hope it makes sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending