The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

If A-levels don’t go smoothly this year

So if hypothetically my A-levels don’t go smoothly this year, and 2/3 of my grades fall under the minimum entry requirements for a top university (e.g. I get A*CC instead of A*AA)

If I were to take a gap year to learn two NEW subjects and be predicted, say, two A*’s (e.g. in A-level maths and further maths) - would my chances of being admitted be lower because my initial 3 subjects didn’t reach the minimum entry? Thank you.
Reply 1
For which course and for which universities?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
For which course and for which universities?

Chemistry BSc at St. Andrews. I’d qualify for minimum entry requirements (ABB)
Original post by bigstrong
So if hypothetically my A-levels don’t go smoothly this year, and 2/3 of my grades fall under the minimum entry requirements for a top university (e.g. I get A*CC instead of A*AA)

If I were to take a gap year to learn two NEW subjects and be predicted, say, two A*’s (e.g. in A-level maths and further maths) - would my chances of being admitted be lower because my initial 3 subjects didn’t reach the minimum entry? Thank you.

It depends on the university and course and only they can answer that. The problem is that the very top universities tend to be over subscribed so can be more choosy. If you are applying to Oxbridge, top London universities, Durham, St Andrews and maybe Bristol or Edinburgh it might affect you but only they know for certain.

Id try and get all A* in the gap year as your past grades will be on your UCAS so could disadvantage you. So best to improve the rest of your application as much as possible

This really is a University by University case so you would need to get in touch with the admissions team of your preferred institutions and ask the question. They are mega busy this time of the year though so do be patient with them, most will also have a phone number as well which is usually the quickest way to get an answer.

- Luke

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending