The Student Room Group

Im moving to England and i want to learn about England's Education System

Hey I'm from Pakistan and I'm 18 and I am moving to the UK in a couple of months on family visa.Currently I'm doing my A levels year 1 in 3 subjects,Computer,Mathematics and Physics.My Concern is that when i move to England can i give my Cies in England in October for these 3 subjects as a private Candidate or would I have to join a institute and start my A levels from the Beginning again ??
it really depends on what you’ve learnt so far. We have different ‘exam boards’, which are companies that choose what you have to learn for an A level in a particular subject. Different exam boards will expect different things and will put different things in the exam and expect different amounts of coursework. Some common exam boards include AQA, Edexcel, OCR and some schools use WJEC. Some of these exam boards also expect what we call ‘cousework’ - work done at home that represents part of your final grade. Whether you have to start again will depend on whether you’ve missed anything particularly important or whether you’ve covered similar things. I know people who’ve moved from one English school to another and had to start again, and people ol who’ve moved to the country halfway through who haven’t had to start again. It will just depend.
We also tend to do exams on May or June. I believe there are some November exams but typically the school year starts in September and finishes in July, so if you’re in your first year of A levels you’ll only have missed one term so it should be very feasible to catch up.

Here is the AQA maths syllabus: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/as-and-a-level/mathematics-7357/specification-at-a-glance
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hadi safa
Hey I'm from Pakistan and I'm 18 and I am moving to the UK in a couple of months on family visa.Currently I'm doing my A levels year 1 in 3 subjects,Computer,Mathematics and Physics.My Concern is that when i move to England can i give my Cies in England in October for these 3 subjects as a private Candidate or would I have to join a institute and start my A levels from the Beginning again ??

A Levels here are 2 years and have specific exam boards depending on what college you go, so there is the chance that you wont have the right knowledge for the exams here.
From the information you have given I would say your options are :

studying at home and applying to an approved exam centre for your A Levels. I would recommend looking to the different exam boards (AQA, Edexcel etc), their syllabus and their past exams to see if this would be a good idea for you with the knowledge you already have. You will have to pay for this.

Enrolling into a school or college to continue your education with them, but this depends on where and when you do so. Many colleges will make you start the course from the beginning if your previous study wasn’t for the same exam board (as you are outside if the uk), but some wont let you enrol at the start if you are over 18.

In some areas there are adult education centres that run A Level courses for people over the school acceptance age. This is the option I would choose if I was coming to the uk, as it ensures you are doing the correct syllabus for the UK exams.

I hope the move goes smoothly for you and let me know how you get on!

Quick Reply

Latest