The Student Room Group

Uni deadline due on Monday/Tuesday, 111 just called me insisting I go to A&E?

I basically have to hand in everything either by Monday or Tuesday Morning, i still have a lot to complete but the 111 service rang me a few hours ago about some bloods done yesterday(VERY low magnesium levels) telling me to go straight to A&E for emergency treatment but I'm just terrified of going.

I didn't apply for mitigation (hoping to get it done on time) so if I fail, I'll have to resit and don't want that because if I go, I'll likely be stuck in the ward for half a week then end going back for tests the week after possibly miss the deadline and I REALLY don't want to worry my parents.

And I'm not sure if my uni would allow extenuating circumstances this late into the assignment to be honest.

What do I do?
Go to A&E. Call your uni first thing Tuesday.
Health comes first. You're not going to do anything like your best work anyway in this state, if you get it done at all. All you're doing is putting yourself in danger. Go get yourself sorted and tell the uni first thing Tuesday morning - you're not exactly choosing to be in hospital and it couldn't have been predicted. They would be extremely unfair not to at least give you an extension.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 3
Go to A&E and contact your uni.

If you're feeling well enough, you could take your laptop to use in the waiting room (it's a distraction from the medical stuff at least!) but you shouldn't have to do that. Your uni will understand that you can't work from hospital.
Original post by furryface12
Health comes first. You're not going to do anything like your best work anyway in this state, if you get it done at all. All you're doing is putting yourself in danger. Go get yourself sorted and tell the uni first thing Tuesday morning - you're not exactly choosing to be in hospital and it couldn't have been predicted. They would be extremely unfair not to at least give

Yeah maybe you're right.
Original post by Blueskiesfly777
Yeah maybe you're right.

Fingers crossed it can all be sorted quickly and smoothly for you, as much as possible.
(edited 12 months ago)
I basically have to hand in everything either by Monday or Tuesday Morning, i still have a lot to complete but the 111 service rang me a few hours ago about some bloods done yesterday(VERY low magnesium levels) telling me to go straight to A&E for emergency treatment but I'm just terrified of going.

I didn't apply for mitigation (hoping to get it done on time) so if I fail, I'll have to resit and don't want that because if I go, I'll likely be stuck in the ward for half a week then end going back for tests the week after possibly miss the deadline and I REALLY don't want to worry my parents.

And I'm not sure if my uni would allow extenuating circumstances this late into the assignment to be honest.

What do I do?

Hi there

Your health comes first always so please prioritise that. A similar thing happened to me in my first year and Kent were really understanding about it. They also gave me mitigation for an exam I had the week after i got home from hospital. When you have a moment please let your uni know whether that be through an email or a quick phone call. Depending on your situation they may tell you to fill in the extension forms or mitigation forms after you are feeling better but some unis can just process an automatic one. I really would try not to worry. If worst comes to worse you will always have the option of applying for mitigation at a later date (just make sure to keep any relevant hospital paperwork etc). Hope this helps and hope you recover soon!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Reply 7
I'm not sure uni assignments are worth dying over... Please go to A&E!
Fingers crossed it can all be sorted quickly and smoothly for you, as much as possible.

Instead of A&E, I got my GP to refer me to the emergency day unit swiftly then got bloods done again then got treated within a few hours, its all good now 🙂
Thank You so much for your reply
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi there

Your health comes first always so please prioritise that. A similar thing happened to me in my first year and Kent were really understanding about it. They also gave me mitigation for an exam I had the week after i got home from hospital. When you have a moment please let your uni know whether that be through an email or a quick phone call. Depending on your situation they may tell you to fill in the extension forms or mitigation forms after you are feeling better but some unis can just process an automatic one. I really would try not to worry. If worst comes to worse you will always have the option of applying for mitigation at a later date (just make sure to keep any relevant hospital paperwork etc). Hope this helps and hope you recover soon!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Thanks a lot
I got treated in the hospital, discharged and got most my work handed in a day later so now its all well and good
Instead of A&E, I got my GP to refer me to the emergency day unit swiftly then got bloods done again then got treated within a few hours, its all good now 🙂
Thank You so much for your reply

Well done you! Hope the rest of your deadlines go smoothly now :smile:
Well done you! Hope the rest of your deadlines go smoothly now :smile:

Yeah I hope so too, thankfully I've handed my work already so just waiting for my marks next month :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest