The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield 2023 Mature students

Are any mature students applying to Sheffield this year? What course will you be doing? I'm 22 and I'll be doing Law
Original post by sunsetted
Are any mature students applying to Sheffield this year? What course will you be doing? I'm 22 and I'll be doing Law

Hey!
Great to hear that you will be coming to Sheffield! Please let me know if you have any questions about coming to Sheffield, I am sure you'll have an amazing time here.
Evie (4th year medic UoS)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Hiya, my name is Helli, I'm going to be doing History and Politics and I'm 23 :smile: I was really starting to panic about coming to uni so late but I've seen so many threads about it on the student room that I feel so much calmer now. Have you booked your accomodation yet ? Trying to figure out where to go x
Reply 3
Original post by Heli Beachey
Hiya, my name is Helli, I'm going to be doing History and Politics and I'm 23 :smile: I was really starting to panic about coming to uni so late but I've seen so many threads about it on the student room that I feel so much calmer now. Have you booked your accomodation yet ? Trying to figure out where to go x

Hi Helli! Yay, that's great to know :smile: I can relate to that feeling, I honestly don't know where the time went lol, and yep I've booked my accommodation. I was quite late in booking it actually, so I didn't get the type of accom that I wanted, but I'm not too fussed - i ended up booking endcliffe vale! Do you have an idea of what you're looking for?
Hi Helli! Yay, that's great to know :smile: I can relate to that feeling, I honestly don't know where the time went lol, and yep I've booked my accommodation. I was quite late in booking it actually, so I didn't get the type of accom that I wanted, but I'm not too fussed - i ended up booking endcliffe vale! Do you have an idea of what you're looking for?

I think I'd prefer to go to Ranmoor, because it's a bit quieter but then you have endcliffe right next door where all the parties happen so you get the best of both worlds. I'm not that fussed either way. Sheffield looks like a really cool city and I love that they have so much international food ! Do you live in the area or is it going to be a complete change for you ?
Reply 5
I think I'd prefer to go to Ranmoor, because it's a bit quieter but then you have endcliffe right next door where all the parties happen so you get the best of both worlds. I'm not that fussed either way. Sheffield looks like a really cool city and I love that they have so much international food ! Do you live in the area or is it going to be a complete change for you ?

Ohh I didn't know they were that close, but that makes sense! tbf I'm not sure how I'm going to adjust to loud nights as I haven't shared accom before haha, and yeah from what I've seen, Sheffield seems pretty student friendly too! I'm coming from London, so it's going to be a complete change for me, how about yourself? I'm rly excited to explore the city once I'm there
Ohh I didn't know they were that close, but that makes sense! tbf I'm not sure how I'm going to adjust to loud nights as I haven't shared accom before haha, and yeah from what I've seen, Sheffield seems pretty student friendly too! I'm coming from London, so it's going to be a complete change for me, how about yourself? I'm rly excited to explore the city once I'm there

Maybe you could buy a pair of noise cancelling headphones ? That’s probably what I’ll do if I’m put in Endcliffe.

I’ve always lived in the countryside, first in the New Forest and now in Portugal so it will be a big change moving to a city up north. That’s why I like the idea of Sheffield so much; like you said it’s got a nice, lively student feel to it and then you have the Peak District right on your doorstep. I also love how many societies they’ve got at the uni. I can’t really drink that much anymore because of health problems so I’m glad that there will be loads to do other than just clubbing. How come you chose Sheffield then and why did you wait four years before going to uni ? x
Reply 7
Maybe you could buy a pair of noise cancelling headphones ? That’s probably what I’ll do if I’m put in Endcliffe.

I’ve always lived in the countryside, first in the New Forest and now in Portugal so it will be a big change moving to a city up north. That’s why I like the idea of Sheffield so much; like you said it’s got a nice, lively student feel to it and then you have the Peak District right on your doorstep. I also love how many societies they’ve got at the uni. I can’t really drink that much anymore because of health problems so I’m glad that there will be loads to do other than just clubbing. How come you chose Sheffield then and why did you wait four years before going to uni ? x

That's such a good idea!! Once I get there I'm gna test it out a bit then order some

Oh wow, totally different! Growing up in the countryside sounds so nice to me. Why were you in Portugal? I went to Portugal in 2019 and I loved it, the beaches there were so beautiful. I'm actually going to visit Peak District as soon as I get there! Yep they have so many societies, deffo can have fun without the drinks. I'm spoiled for choice w societies haha, do you have an idea of which ones you'd like to attend?

I chose Sheffield because I went to an open day back in 2018, and it was pretty decent for me. I made an extremely late UCAS application this year, and they were the only university that I liked that had a space for me.

Well my story is a little bit all over the place lol but I received an offer to study Law in 2020, and I didn't go due to Covid. In 2021 I took up a marketing apprenticeship randomly as I just wanted to get out of the house and do something productive, but I ended up not enjoying it at all, so I left my marketing job early this year, and finally made my decision to study Law again! I felt like I lost myself a bit during the past 4 yrs. I can't believe it has been 4 years, well technically 3 years for me as I took a gap year after school. I do have regrets of not applying to uni last year but it wasn't even on my mind. I saw so many people advise against my course and it didn't help motivate me at all! What about yourself? x
(edited 9 months ago)
That's such a good idea!! Once I get there I'm gna test it out a bit then order some

Oh wow, totally different! Growing up in the countryside sounds so nice to me. Why were you in Portugal? I went to Portugal in 2019 and I loved it, the beaches there were so beautiful. I'm actually going to visit Peak District as soon as I get there! Yep they have so many societies, deffo can have fun without the drinks. I'm spoiled for choice w societies haha, do you have an idea of which ones you'd like to attend?

I chose Sheffield because I went to an open day back in 2018, and it was pretty decent for me. I made an extremely late UCAS application this year, and they were the only university that I liked that had a space for me.

Well my story is a little bit all over the place lol but I received an offer to study Law in 2020, and I didn't go due to Covid. In 2021 I took up a marketing apprenticeship randomly as I just wanted to get out of the house and do something productive, but I ended up not enjoying it at all, so I left my marketing job early this year, and finally made my decision to study Law again! I felt like I lost myself a bit during the past 4 yrs. I can't believe it has been 4 years, well technically 3 years for me as I took a gap year after school. I do have regrets of not applying to uni last year but it wasn't even on my mind. I saw so many people advise against my course and it didn't help motivate me at all! What about yourself? x

Well basically my family decided to move so I went with them. It is a beautiful place but it's pretty much dead 8 months out of the year and gets so boring. It's 100% a great place to visit but I wouldn't recommend living here.

That's nice I've heard it's beautiful. I think I will join a rambling group or something when I get there to get the most out of it (the peak district I mean). I don't know which societies I'll join yet; I haven't actually checked any of them out, I just know that there are like 400. What about you - have you got any lined up already ?

Yeah that's fair enough, at least you are now sure of what you want to do. If I had gone to uni straight after A-levels I would have picked English Lit or Psychology to study which seem to have pretty bad career prospects. Now I'm so glad I waited. What did you do on your gap year ? Also you said people advised against your course - do you mean your Law course ?

My mum was diagnosed with Alhzeimer's in 2017 and so I stayed behind to help take care of her. We had to put her in a care home in 2021 because the disease had progressed too much for us to continue taking care of her, and I had planned to go to uni straight away but my health was so bad due to the stress of it all that I had to wait longer. Everything is much better though now and I'm really looking forward to starting my course :smile:

Btw can I have your email ? It would be really nice to keep in contact before uni starts
Reply 9
Well basically my family decided to move so I went with them. It is a beautiful place but it's pretty much dead 8 months out of the year and gets so boring. It's 100% a great place to visit but I wouldn't recommend living here.

That's nice I've heard it's beautiful. I think I will join a rambling group or something when I get there to get the most out of it (the peak district I mean). I don't know which societies I'll join yet; I haven't actually checked any of them out, I just know that there are like 400. What about you - have you got any lined up already ?

Yeah that's fair enough, at least you are now sure of what you want to do. If I had gone to uni straight after A-levels I would have picked English Lit or Psychology to study which seem to have pretty bad career prospects. Now I'm so glad I waited. What did you do on your gap year ? Also you said people advised against your course - do you mean your Law course ?

My mum was diagnosed with Alhzeimer's in 2017 and so I stayed behind to help take care of her. We had to put her in a care home in 2021 because the disease had progressed too much for us to continue taking care of her, and I had planned to go to uni straight away but my health was so bad due to the stress of it all that I had to wait longer. Everything is much better though now and I'm really looking forward to starting my course :smile:

Btw can I have your email ? It would be really nice to keep in contact before uni starts

I totally get that, some places make rly nice holiday destinations lol but living there is entirely different

Joining a rambling group sounds perfect for sheffield! There's also a Give It a Go Scheme so you can try out as many societies as you like without commitment. Lol yes there's so many, I'm definitely joining the debate society and muay thai! rly excited.

That's great you know what you want to do now, taking time out helps you find yourself, sometimes we're just living life on autopilot and don't take the time to think deeply enough when it comes to what we want out of life lol, and yeah ppl told me how law isn't worth it bc it's too competitive but I at least want to give it a try. My gap year was when covid hit so unfortunately didn't get to do much, I just went straight into a marketing apprenticeship to get out of the house lol but didn't enjoy it

That is so admirable that you stayed to take care of your mum, it doesn't sound like an easy thing to go through at all. That must've been an emotionally and physically difficult experience. There would've been no to little point joining uni at a stressful time, waste of time and money, so it's great you waited. But I'm rly glad that things are much better for you now, and that you're starting an entirely new and exciting chapter of your life :smile:

Yes that's a great idea, I have sent you a DM!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending