The Student Room Group

Confused on what to do

Hello,

Since December I’ve been struggling with serious mental health issues. I didn’t talk to anyone about it either and I rarely attended university so I fell far behind. Recently I reached out and got help and I’m starting to feel much better, however, I’m way too far behind to catch up or even have a chance at passing my exams. I contacted my teaching office and was told that if I choose to repeat a year then I must repay my maintenance. I’ve seen that you can pay these in monthly instalments but I don’t know how much it will cost so I can’t tell if I’ll be able to afford it or not. The teaching office also told me that if I attend my summer exams and my resits, I’d have to pay that year back normally but my home is far away from university and I currently can’t afford to come up to university for the resits and then go back. I’m unsure whether or not I can get a job to make that money within July alone as my year ends at the end of June and the resits are early August.

What’s my best play here if I want to retake my first year?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

Since December I’ve been struggling with serious mental health issues. I didn’t talk to anyone about it either and I rarely attended university so I fell far behind. Recently I reached out and got help and I’m starting to feel much better, however, I’m way too far behind to catch up or even have a chance at passing my exams. I contacted my teaching office and was told that if I choose to repeat a year then I must repay my maintenance. I’ve seen that you can pay these in monthly instalments but I don’t know how much it will cost so I can’t tell if I’ll be able to afford it or not. The teaching office also told me that if I attend my summer exams and my resits, I’d have to pay that year back normally but my home is far away from university and I currently can’t afford to come up to university for the resits and then go back. I’m unsure whether or not I can get a job to make that money within July alone as my year ends at the end of June and the resits are early August.

What’s my best play here if I want to retake my first year?

Thanks

you should start a job there are many job oppurtunites so just start a job and see how it goes. you should ask your finance office for your uni and how much the money is.
Reply 2
Original post by JF ZAK
you should start a job there are many job oppurtunites so just start a job and see how it goes. you should ask your finance office for your uni and how much the money is.

That’s the plan right now. I am applying a lot for jobs in my hometown as they’re readily available but I’m nervous I won’t land one in time. The town where my uni is located has little to no work, I’ve applied to jobs almost weekly since I started and only landed one interview which I guess I failed.

However, I’m thinking about just going home, finding some work, and maybe come back to studying later. Cost of living is ******* my family up and they need my support, although they insist I stay at uni.

Thanks for the response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending