The Student Room Group

Student Loan

Hi all,

So at the tender age of 41 I have decided to go back to uni. I have been awarded maintenance loan which is great but tuition loan is currently "£0". I did previously do a nursing course back in 2004-2009 (interrupted twice & sadly did not qualify). SLC are currently seeing it as 5 years of studying, which isn't the case and me obtaining a Foundation Degree, which also is not the case. As it stands the maintenance loan comfortably covers the tuition fees plus I'll be working part time as well. Has anyone else been in the same position? Will the maintenance loan amount roughly be the same in year 2 and 3? I have 2 children. Currently 12 and 15 years old. I am now deciding whether I can go to uni once I hear back from SLC. I am gutted!! I really wanted this!
Original post by Mimzy41
Hi all,

So at the tender age of 41 I have decided to go back to uni. I have been awarded maintenance loan which is great but tuition loan is currently "£0". I did previously do a nursing course back in 2004-2009 (interrupted twice & sadly did not qualify). SLC are currently seeing it as 5 years of studying, which isn't the case and me obtaining a Foundation Degree, which also is not the case. As it stands the maintenance loan comfortably covers the tuition fees plus I'll be working part time as well. Has anyone else been in the same position? Will the maintenance loan amount roughly be the same in year 2 and 3? I have 2 children. Currently 12 and 15 years old. I am now deciding whether I can go to uni once I hear back from SLC. I am gutted!! I really wanted this!

What type of course have you applied for?
Reply 2
I applied for BA (Hons) Public Health. I was also told there are courses (nursing, dentistry, Social Work) where they disregard previous study history in the rule of student finance.
This is a post from last year regarding which courses were exempt from equivalent level and previous study:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7148499

Your course isn't listed but it might be worth a post in the following forum, which will be answered by SFE reps (give details of your uni and course so that they can check the database, and give details of your previous study):

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

If you aren't eligible, contact your uni to see if they have any bursaries you might qualify for.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you. I will take a look. Would you know whether the maintenance loan amount would stay the same in year 2 & 3? I could pay the tuition fees by using part of the maintenance loan.
Original post by Mimzy41
Thank you. I will take a look. Would you know whether the maintenance loan amount would stay the same in year 2 & 3? I could pay the tuition fees by using part of the maintenance loan.

I can't say for certain but if your circumstances stay the same, the maintenance loan should be roughly the same. You reapply each year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending