The Student Room Group

Calling in sick to a new job

I started a new job a month ago now. I work with food and had to call in sick two weeks ago because I was vomiting and that is clearly an issue in regards to handling food. Today I've had really bad bowel issues and do not think I could work due to the fact I'm having to use the bathroom quite frequently.

I don't usually call in sick to work, as I hate giving a bad impression. Especially since I just started this new job. What do I say? Should I explain the coincidence it has happened twice in two weeks and apologise? I'm scared they're going to think I'm just taking the **** and calling in sick to get out of work.
Hi. Can i just say i relate to the anxiety your having regarding calling in sick. To me, if you're ill your ill. Yeah, they will be people who take the Mick, likewise they might they might think you're taking the Mick, bit as long as you know you called in sick genuinely and can justify it to yourself (and other people) then that's what matters. I know it's a new job so obviously you're going to be conscious but health always comes first. If your having to frequent the toilet, that's quite unpleasant experience so to me it sound genuine. I started a new job though In Sept had 9 days off sick since then with other absences for other reasons and had an 'attendance meeting '.

I would just say I'm sorry but this is the problem so i don't feel able to come into work.
Original post by unknownforever
bit as long as you know you called in sick genuinely and can justify it to yourself (and other people) then that's what matters..

I think you are overlooking the part where you lose your job. Calling in sick twice in your first month is bad, like if this was someone I'd taken on for a probation period/temp/zero hours job I'd likely already be looking for someone else. Sure it can just be rotten luck someone is sick twice on their first month, but it also plants the idea that this person might be off every month.
Original post by StriderHort
I think you are overlooking the part where you lose your job. Calling in sick twice in your first month is bad, like if this was someone I'd taken on for a probation period/temp/zero hours job I'd likely already be looking for someone else. Sure it can just be rotten luck someone is sick twice on their first month, but it also plants the idea that this person might be off every month.

Yeah and you know what i get that but the work sickness procedure needs to be more inclusive to those with extra needs. Like if someone has got a medical condition then they maybe are going to unfortunately be more prone to being ill and workplaces need to understand this, if the world wants these people to work.
You can't ask people with conditions to work (who are fit to work) to work but then them not making adjustments or trying to understand this. Health comes first!
This by no way is targeted at this forum im just not happy the way it works.
Original post by unknownforever
Yeah and you know what i get that but the work sickness procedure needs to be more inclusive to those with extra needs. Like if someone has got a medical condition then they maybe are going to unfortunately be more prone to being ill and workplaces need to understand this, if the world wants these people to work.
You can't ask people with conditions to work (who are fit to work) to work but then them not making adjustments or trying to understand this. Health comes first!
This by no way is targeted at this forum im just not happy the way it works.

I think primarily it comes down to the size of your employer, the role and how able and willing they are to soak it up. In say a grad & senior role, where you've went through maybe quite a long process, a long/perm contract has been agreed and they have an established absence policy, they will be more willing to accept absence as a fact of life take time with you to address these needs.

But the less formal the roles get and the smaller the business, like say a takeaway or restaurant like the OP implies, those absences will be putting strain on everyone and they will already have a pile of CV/numbers handy and v real chance of just letting you go and calling the next one.

To be blunt about it, if someone has a medical condition... I might not want to hire them, and no one has a right to a job I'm a contractor and I only take on people short term when I really need them, so if they call in sick, no matter how innocently, they've likely lost me the whole days work and possibly the whole job so I'm instantly in a situation where I need to protect my business, to say nothing if they wanted to go on the sick, it would simply ruin me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending