The Student Room Group

Work beyond my notice

Hi,
I urgently need help. I have handed in my notice and I will be finishing next week Friday. Last week I was not feeling, and I called in sick.
My employer said that if I take another day off this week, I will have to make up the time and work beyond my final day.
Is that legal?
Please help
It’s probably not lawful at all

Your contract of employment is just that, a contract. It sets out your employers rights and yours and the notice period you must give.

Presumably, yours says that you must give one months notice so you are good.

Just to help understanding, imagine what would happen when, if you scale the issue up country wide, may people get sick once having resigned? They would then all have to delay leaving and would then be in breach of contract with place they are going to work at next. An impossible situation to put people in.

Hopefully that helps you clarify in your own 6mind that you don’t have to work beyond your agreed or stated leaving date. If your employer threatens to withhold payment, that is absolutely illegal. If that happens, don’t get involved in a discussion, simply go to citizens advice for guidance.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Johnny Valentine
It’s probably not lawful at all

Your contract of employment is just that, a contract. It sets out your employers rights and yours and the notice period you must give.

Presumably, yours says that you must give one months notice so you are good.

Just to help understanding, imagine what would happen when, if you scale the issue up country wide, may people get sick once having resigned? They would then all have to delay leaving and would then be in breach of contract with place they are going to work at next. An impossible situation to put people in.

Hopefully that helps you clarify in your own 6mind that you don’t have to work beyond your agreed or stated leaving date. If your employer threatens to withhold payment, that is absolutely illegal. If that happens, don’t get involved in a discussion, simply go to citizens advice for guidance.

Thank you for your reply.
I just feel trapped in this job, as my boss is making my days very very hard since I mentioned leaving :frown:
Well, if you went to annoy him just smile whenever he asks you to do something and say “yes” 😁

And count down the days until you leave - every day there’s one less to go and you’ll be surprised how quickly it flies by.

What always astonishes me is how people behave in these situations and why they act as a*ses. It’s almost like he doesn’t ever want you to say “I maDe a mistake, can I come back” or even “one of my friends is really good and is looking for a job, shall I ask them to call you” because the way that they are behaving will ensure that neither of these will happen.

Like I say, I find it extraordinary really. All I can suggest is that you try and keep a bright outlook knowing that this chapter of your life will soon be over and you’ll move on to much better things.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending